Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
RIP Jahi!

She's already been declared dead once. Do they have to file another death certificate?
yeah, they have one form NJ now and will use it to get the CA one revoked so they can sue the CA hospital for her injuries, pain and suffering, etc. With her dead by the CA death certificate they can not sue for nearly as much--legal caps are in place in CA when there was a death. You get much more for an injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
yeah, they have one form NJ now and will use it to get the CA one revoked so they can sue the CA hospital for her injuries, pain and suffering, etc. With her dead by the CA death certificate they can not sue for nearly as much--legal caps are in place in CA when there was a death. You get much more for an injury.
Wasn’t there a good chance it was the family’s interference in her care which caused her injuries? I’d hate for Childrens Hospital to be forced to pay out for problem which wasn’t their fault.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
RIP Jahi!

She's already been declared dead once. Do they have to file another death certificate?
This is a very good question. Note that the family's attorney simply said that the doctor has filled out a preliminary abstract of death. Remember, physicians have no authority to issue vital documents. They can only fill out the paperwork recommending that the State issue the document. There's no indication whether or not the state of New Jersey will actually issue a death certificate. I will not be surprised if the applicable agency in New Jersey refuses to issue a death certificate, since a death certificate was issued in 2013.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
It’s ironic that her parents fought tooth and nail to keep her in a “vegetive state” yet before this whole fiasco it’s very clearly that she was overweight from an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle and constant junk food which contributed to complicating her surgery.

If only the parents had actually put some effort into not feeding her junk food and doing some excercise perhaps the body would’ve responded better to the surgery. But it’s safe to assume the parents are also overweight with an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle.

We’re talking about a child who had trouble breathing because she was so unhealthy and the option the parents had was complicated evasive surgery.
Quote:
According to court documents, McMath was admitted to Children's Hospital Oakland on December 9, 2013, for an adenotonsillectomy, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and submucous resection of bilateral inferior turbinates.

It was hoped these procedures would provide improved airflow during her sleep at night. The hospital described these procedures as complicated. The family described the surgery as a routine tonsillectomy in media reports.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-30-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s ironic that her parents fought tooth and nail to keep her in a “vegetive state” yet before this whole fiasco it’s very clearly that she was overweight from an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle and constant junk food which contributed to complicating her surgery.

If only the parents had actually put some effort into not feeding her junk food and doing some excercise perhaps the body would’ve responded better to the surgery. But it’s safe to assume the parents are also overweight with an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle.

We’re talking about a child who had trouble breathing because she was so unhealthy and the option the parents had was complicated evasive surgery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case
I agree. I suspect that part of keeping her dead body "alive" was because of their guilt regarding the whole situation.

I was a special education teacher for 40 years and sometimes saw parallel types of things. One parent spent thousands and thousands of dollars on various "new treatments" and special tutors for her child's autism but absolutely refused to try the very basic (and free) techniques at home herself that were highly successful at school. To this parent, unless it cost money it was a worthless endeavor and she wanted to put the work on someone else (paid tutors, paid clinicians, paid "doctors") instead of doing the very basics with her child.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wasn’t there a good chance it was the family’s interference in her care which caused her injuries? I’d hate for Childrens Hospital to be forced to pay out for problem which wasn’t their fault.
If I recall correctly, there were witnesses that saw her family feeding her pieces of a hamburger against doctor's orders, which, undoubtedly, dislodged a clot and started the bleeding.

I can't imagine how they are planning on getting around this very incriminating fact if there is a trial.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If I recall correctly, there were witnesses that saw her family feeding her pieces of a hamburger against doctor's orders, which, undoubtedly, dislodged a clot and started the bleeding.

I can't imagine how they are planning on getting around this very incriminating fact if there is a trial.
I seem to remember the "hamburger" incident, as well as her grandmother doing things, like suctioning her mouth/throat, that should have been done by hospital staff. From what I have read the family clearly interfered with her care, and probably caused her death, or at least interfered with her healing, while she was recovering from that tricky surgery.

IMHO, they failed their daughter when she was alive and growing up, failed their daughter before and after her surgery, and failed their daughter, and her family, friends and classmates, after her death by claiming that she was still alive for all those years.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I seem to remember the "hamburger" incident, as well as her grandmother doing things, like suctioning her mouth/throat, that should have been done by hospital staff. From what I have read the family clearly interfered with her care, and probably caused her death, or at least interfered with her healing, while she was recovering from that tricky surgery.

IMHO, they failed their daughter when she was alive and growing up, failed their daughter before and after her surgery, and failed their daughter, and her family, friends and classmates, after her death by claiming that she was still alive for all those years.
Agree completely.

Maybe the family is hoping the hospital will settle out of court with a nice settlement rather than go to trial, as many do just to make a lawsuit go away.

I hope they don't.

IMO, the lawsuit is just a money grab by her family.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Agree completely.

Maybe the family is hoping the hospital will settle out of court with a nice settlement rather than go to trial, as many do just to make a lawsuit go away.

I hope they don't.

IMO, the lawsuit is just a money grab by her family.
I'm not saying this never happens. However, its much more common to see them fight a truly meritorious case. The public is subjected to much propaganda about medical malpractice. When some money actually gets paid than you call it a "money grab".

Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. I suspect that part of keeping her dead body "alive" was because of their guilt regarding the whole situation.

I was a special education teacher for 40 years and sometimes saw parallel types of things. One parent spent thousands and thousands of dollars on various "new treatments" and special tutors for her child's autism but absolutely refused to try the very basic (and free) techniques at home herself that were highly successful at school. To this parent, unless it cost money it was a worthless endeavor and she wanted to put the work on someone else (paid tutors, paid clinicians, paid "doctors") instead of doing the very basics with her child.
Agreed. Sometimes all you have to is examine the life at home to see what the primary issue was.

Despite what the parents in the OP claim, this was clearly a dangerous uncommon complicated invasive surgery brought on as a result of being overweight and resulted in complications after surgery due to the parents not following post-op procedures as medical officials claim.

Being overweight can complicate any surgery, it’s as simple as that and look no further than the failure of the parents.

Interesting post I found from the comments section:
Quote:
She had a flat EEG years ago, she was already clinically dead. Any surgery in the airway of an obese patient is extremely risky, and she had a tonsilectomy AND a UPPP, family ignored post-op orders (feeding her solid food) and she blew out her fresh stitches on food.- Certified Surgical Technologist and Anesthesia Technician employed in surgery for 32 years.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-01-2018 at 12:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events