Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 10:15 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,695 times

Advertisements

Pull the plug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They try to avoid doing them because things like this can happen. Kids with infected tonsils are generally treated with antibiotics like amoxicillin. However, once in a while you have someone who has constantly reoccurring infections. Surgery can than reluctantly become a necessity. Sleep disordered breathing (like this case) is an indication for the procedure as well.
Absolutely correct, markg. Bodies have all sorts of unknowns. Computer diagnostics can't be run on a person like they can a vehicle. Pre-disposed or not, sometimes things just happen despite everything being done correctly. Surgery is not the first option for treating recurring tonsillitis or obesity.

ENTs and Anesthesiologists are trained how to work with each other through T & A's as well as throat surgeries. If we stop to think about it for a minute, T & A's require a general anesthetic. That means the patient will have to be intubated. So both the Anesthesiologist and ENT are working in a confined area: the patient's throat. It can get tricky if tonsils are swollen or there is a lot of bleeding etc.

In this patient's case she had more done than a standard T and A.

Having a general anesthetic alone can be risky for some people. In no way am I trying to frighten anyone here, rather point there are risks with invasive medical treatments. Most T & As go well with routine procedure.

It's not really different than driving to work or the store. A route to a store someday may not be safe one day as a different driver might turn left where left turns are not allowed and you are broadsided. Do we all quit driving because of that accident? No. Perhaps we become a bit more aware of risks.

MSR

Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My older son had his tonsils removed because his throat was still growing strep while he was on an antibiotic. A long time after he had it done we were eating dinner one night and he piped up and said, "You know, I sure can swallow easier now that my tonsils are gone." His were enormous, almost touching one another. Fortunately, his recovery was smooth.

As with any surgery, there should be a clear indication for it and the person having the surgery (or his parents, as the case may be) should understand the benefits and risks.
Great and accurate post, Suzy. Thanks for adding it.

MSR

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I heard her mother preferred the surgery despite the doctor also offering weight loss as another plan. I'm sure a good doctor would also recommend a nutritionist and help the family step in the right direction for that, as well. But again, lots of info was going around about this case. What I've heard could be wrong.
Check the first 20 - 30 pages in this thread. Information and facts were as accurate as we could get, at that time. I made sure of it.

MSR

Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Back to the beginning posts. There are some times, such as a person with no brain function, you have to say "Via con Dios" and let them die.
Greg,

I couldn't agree more! And I wrote the first post to start this thread.

MSR

Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Mother posts new picture, the ghoulish show continues...

Mother of Jahi McMath, declared brain dead by doctors, shares new photo | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
A family who have been fighting to keep their daughter alive on life support after she was declared brain dead two years ago insist she is 'as healthy and beautiful as ever'.

Jahi McMath's parents shared a new photo of their 15-year-old daughter on Friday, their first update in three months after winning an injunction to keep their daughter alive.
Well There's Literally No Upside to This | Fishwrapper.com

Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
^ The mother face tuned the hell out of that photo (or something similar... face tune is an app that can visibly smooth the face in a picture like that). This girl is always bundled up to her chin with blankets and/or shown in black and white. People actually buy this mother's claims that she's doing great? Why the photoshop/editing then? Why hide her body? Poor girl is probably slowly decomposing. Despicable, and I'm mad she's being kept on machines in my state. I wonder how much if anything NJ taxpayers are contributing to this mess. Dead girl and her crazy family are allowed to move here from CA just to be kept artificially alive, possibly on the state of NJ's dime? No thanks.

IMHO we need national/federal brain death laws so this can't happen. She's legally dead in one state, with 5 doctors declaring her so and a death certificate filed, and not legally dead in another. Not okay.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident
Jasper,

I couldn't rep you again so I'll acknowledge your excellent post this way.
I gave him points for you

An excellent reply indeed Jasper!!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ The mother face tuned the hell out of that photo (or something similar... face tune is an app that can visibly smooth the face in a picture like that). This girl is always bundled up to her chin with blankets and/or shown in black and white. People actually buy this mother's claims that she's doing great? Why the photoshop/editing then? Why hide her body? Poor girl is probably slowly decomposing. Despicable, and I'm mad she's being kept on machines in my state. I wonder how much if anything NJ taxpayers are contributing to this mess. Dead girl and her crazy family are allowed to move here from CA just to be kept artificially alive, possibly on the state of NJ's dime? No thanks.

IMHO we need national/federal brain death laws so this can't happen. She's legally dead in one state, with 5 doctors declaring her so and a death certificate filed, and not legally dead in another. Not okay.
I could not have said it better myself.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:18 AM

221 posts, read 335,520 times
Unbelievable. I'd say if her family believes that she is a thriving teen as they say, just unhook her from the machines and take her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events