Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times

Advertisements

I don't believe she has moved on. She may be in limbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default At the One Year Anniversary

I was going to post an update one year later. I was very honestly surprised by the number of familiar posters and other new ones who had already posted.

Welcome to the newer ones to post on this thread. There is a lot of information in this thread. I think in the "40 pages" some of the definitions or deeper understanding you want to learn are posted. Feel free to post questions as some very intelligent posters have shared clear explanations. That being written, I believe many of us have the same questions now and there are no answers shared to date.

I appreciate those of you who remembered this teen, her family and the medical and hospital staff.

This is a Q and A, of sorts, with the San Jose Mercury News. Along with S.F.Gate, they have been the region's best sources of info.

Jahi McMath: One year since Oakland girl's brain death after surgery - San Jose Mercury News

MSR

Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 PM

Default Dolan Withdrew Case

This information may be very similar to the AP's I posted above. There are four points I want to address:

1. The International Brain Research Foundation is now saying the teen shows electrical activity and blood flow in her brain. If that is true, why wasn't it breaking news and all over PubMed?

2. Like almost all trained in healthcare, I wonder how it is the lungs, heart and G.U. system have remained infection free? We've not been told that; however, most living in Institutions for a prolonged period of time get those infections....ask any nurse who has posted here. (I'm not a nurse. These wonderful people usually know when their patients are getting an infection even before others).

If the original heart and lungs are still in the teen's body, are they getting experimental drugs or other therapies? If she truly is at a Children's Hospital owned by the Catholic Church in NJ, how has that IRB dealt with all these questions for daily "treatment"?

How has the hospital kept this so quiet? Other patients and parents, let alone staff, seem to have said nothing. How is that possible?

3. It appears that Attorney Dolan did file suit for California to revoke the issued death certificate. He later withdrew the request.

Jahi McMath update: Life support case, one year later - CBS News
I hope this situation is resolved this next year.

MSR

Old 12-19-2014, 12:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This information may be very similar to the AP's I posted above. There are four points I want to address:

1. The International Brain Research Foundation is now saying the teen shows electrical activity and blood flow in her brain. If that is true, why wasn't it breaking news and all over PubMed?

2. Like almost all trained in healthcare, I wonder how it is the lungs, heart and G.U. system have remained infection free? We've not been told that; however, most living in Institutions for a prolonged period of time get those infections....ask any nurse who has posted here. (I'm not a nurse. These wonderful people usually know when their patients are getting an infection even before others).

If the original heart and lungs are still in the teen's body, are they getting experimental drugs or other therapies? If she truly is at a Children's Hospital owned by the Catholic Church in NJ, how has that IRB dealt with all these questions for daily "treatment"?

How has the hospital kept this so quiet? Other patients and parents, let alone staff, seem to have said nothing. How is that possible?

3. It appears that Attorney Dolan did file suit for California to revoke the issued death certificate. He later withdrew the request.

MSR

I'm not surprised that she is not necessarily getting infections currently. She has/had a relatively young and healthy body.

As for the brain having "electrical impulses and blood flow," idk why anyone would be surprised at this. The heart is still alive and pumping blood throughout body. This is also going to cause some electrical impulses.

I am very surprised/disturbed that there are bona fide MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS who thought that her brain would "liquify."

I'm not an MD or an RN but this is basic biology here. . . .

Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 AM

Question What Would Stop The Process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm not surprised that she is not necessarily getting infections currently. She has/had a relatively young and healthy body.

As for the brain having "electrical impulses and blood flow," idk why anyone would be surprised at this. The heart is still alive and pumping blood throughout body. This is also going to cause some electrical impulses.

I am very surprised/disturbed that there are bona fide MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS who thought that her brain would "liquify."

I don't understand, Utolian Slums. What would stop the brain of one patient liquifying? All other brain dead patients brains liquify. I wrote early on about working on a similar patient situation. The kiddo with whom I was involved had his brain start to liquify within days. Other parents and patients really started to complain with all the flies it drew etc.

I've seen enough brain liquify to last me a lifetime. What is the basic Biology everyone seems to miss? And please include the role of the blood brain barrier as you explain so that doesn't need to be asked separately.

I'm looking forward to learning something maybe from a different perspective.

Thanks

MSR

Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
Quote:

MSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

These are all good questions. The problem is that the family is keeping the child's corpse isolated, and is only releasing information that they want to be public. I find it interesting that all of the recent picture and videos that have been released have only show small parts of her body. I am guessing there is a reason her family does not want anyone to see what the rest of her body really looks like.

For all I know, she has had multiple infections that have not been reported by the family. I would assume this to be true, barring multiple reports to the contrary from independent physicians. Infections can be deadly, though this fact is not much of an issue in this particular case.

As far as the healthcare workers "keeping quiet," remember that is it a criminal offense under HIPPA to release information about a patient without consent. Healthcare workers with knowledge of her conditon will not be able to talk about it until the year 2063. Most healthcare workers are reminded constantly of the $50,000 fine for each individual piece of protected health information that is released illegally. This is plenty of incentive for them to keep their mouths shut.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

52 posts, read 56,970 times
I have been following this case since the beginning.

A patient can be brain dead, with a limited amount of brain stem activity. What this means is the patient will be comatose, no ability for conscious thought, or purposeful movements of any kind. The brain stem controls basic body functions, such as heartbeat and breathing. She obviously has enough activity to keep her heart beating. She was very young and healthy.

This is where it gets basic physiology gets more difficult to explain. The heart and lungs are very co dependent and at a minimal level these are all you need to keep a body from decomposing.

As long as the heart is beating, and there is a machine pushing oxygen into the lungs, all the other organs will keep on functioning as long as they have the last ingredient. Which is nutrients, she has a PEG tube which is inserted directly into her stomach to feed her a liquid formula.

The last part is, bowel function. As long as the body is able to digest the formula and create the waste, she can maintain in that state for a very long time.

So basic human biology says, we need blood flow, oxygen, food and the ability to poop in order to survive.

I don't see an ending anytime soon, unless someone shuts off the ventilator, which would cause her heart to stop from lack of oxygen.

However, I also don't see any possibility of recovery either. While she will not "decompose", she will waste away until she looks like a very thin shell of the person that she used to be.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvdaSun View Post
I have been following this case since the beginning.

A patient can be brain dead, with a limited amount of brain stem activity. What this means is the patient will be comatose, no ability for conscious thought, or purposeful movements of any kind. The brain stem controls basic body functions, such as heartbeat and breathing. She obviously has enough activity to keep her heart beating. She was very young and healthy.

This is where it gets basic physiology gets more difficult to explain. The heart and lungs are very co dependent and at a minimal level these are all you need to keep a body from decomposing.

As long as the heart is beating, and there is a machine pushing oxygen into the lungs, all the other organs will keep on functioning as long as they have the last ingredient. Which is nutrients, she has a PEG tube which is inserted directly into her stomach to feed her a liquid formula.

The last part is, bowel function. As long as the body is able to digest the formula and create the waste, she can maintain in that state for a very long time.

So basic human biology says, we need blood flow, oxygen, food and the ability to poop in order to survive.

I don't see an ending anytime soon, unless someone shuts off the ventilator, which would cause her heart to stop from lack of oxygen.

However, I also don't see any possibility of recovery either. While she will not "decompose", she will waste away until she looks like a very thin shell of the person that she used to be.
She is NOT controlling her heart. It's being kept in a functional state with mechanical and pharmaceutical assistance. It that were stopped her heart would stop as well.

Also she was not young and healthy. She was obese and had a rather complicated surgical procedure not a routine tonsillectomy as reported in the media.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 PM

52 posts, read 56,970 times
I'm pretty sure I said there was a mechanical ventilator keeping the oxygen going into and out of her lungs, and that if it was turned off..her heart would stop beating. However, there is not a machine in the world that would "keep a heart beating".

Sure there's a heart lung bypass machine used for heart transplants, and there are internal pacemakers to regulate the heart rate, and even internal defibrillators to shock your heart back into rhythm.

There are medications such as levophed to keep your blood pressure up by constricting your blood vessels. There is epinephrine, to increase your heart rate from near zero, by eliciting the fight or flight response.

However, the heart must beat all on it's very own accord to keep the body functional.

Do I think she is "alive", no I do not. But I was not giving my opinion to debate if she is alive or dead, I was responding to the "how has she not composed" questions. I'm pretty sure I answered that.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Quote:

I found this information for the International Brain Research Foundation, and its founder, who received his doctorate from an online college. Apparently it was his claims that lead to the request for the reversal of the death certificate and the court didn't accept them as valid.

From what I've heard locally, Jahi has for some time been in a private home, not a hospital. I can't verify that of course.

Link to article about Foundation and its founder:

Philip DeFina - RationalWiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events