Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Has any mentioned Ariel Sharon yet? 8 years and counting...
Sharon was not brain dead. He was in a coma.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/world/...rain-activity/

He is now deteriorating and it appears his death is imminent. Not the same story as Jahi's.

The inability of Jahi's mother to understand the difference between brain death and coma or persistent vegetative state is the root of the problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I wouldn't, even if the hospital committed a medical error. I would not want to financially profit from my child's death.
I suppose you don't believe in life insurance then.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I suppose you don't believe in life insurance then.
am with lenora, to me to take money from the hospital like this would be blood money.

Insurance is different, you pay in to the policy as a means to leave funds for your heirs.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Testimony/declaration by one of Jahi's doctors

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf

Thank you for that. It was eye opening for sure.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think you will find that families often smuggle in food that is not on a patient's prescribed diet. No one will be checking bags for contraband victuals.

Jahi would have been without food or drink for 8 hours or more before her surgery. When she waked up she would very likely have been hungry. Her obesity is a hint that her family had a problem with limiting Jahi's food intake. I can definitely see someone thinking it would be OK for her to have a hamburger if she was awake, hungry, and not nauseated.

If she did eat a hamburger, it was obviously before she began bleeding and in the PICU, not the recovery room. Whether the hamburger is truth or fiction we do not know at this time, but it is not an impossibility.
Right. There is no sort of screening or search of bags. Nor is there a nurse there hovering every second, as there are other patients to look in on. Unfortunately it would be quite possible for something like this to happen and a parent who didn't fully understand the seriousness of the restrictions could wind up doing something without realizing how dangerous it was.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Or maybe they never posted any such thing.

Thats possible. Haha, Jahi is in the recovery room eating a hamburger after getting her tonsils out. LOL.

Maybe because it was inaccurate or misunderstood?

Naw, it must have been because they are an evil family who murdered their own daughter by shoving a hamburger down her throat after a tonsillectomy so they could sue the hospital.

As others have pointed out, she would have been on a liquid diet after that surgery. It is highly unlikely that the hospital would have allowed the family to bring her a hamburger in the recovery room after a major surgery. It's even less likely that she could have eaten a hamburger while she was coughing up blood.
She wasn't on a liquid diet. She was NPO. That means nothing per os, or nothing by mouth. The hospital absolutely would not say it was okay for her to have a hamburger. The family gave it to her anyway. She was likely coughing up blood BECAUSE she ate the hamburger and dislodged the clots that would have been forming where her tonsillectomy was performed.

Yes, it's POSSIBLE to eat after a tonsillectomy. But you're not supposed to for a time. As I stated before, my daughter was 2-1/2 when she had a tonsillectomy and she asked for onion rings when she was in the recovery room. Of course we didn't give her any. Later that day she did eat with no problem (when the doctors said she could eat). My husband had a tonsillectomy within a few weeks of hers and he could NOT eat. The doctor told us that kids usually handle it a lot better than adults and seem to have less pain than adults. So yes, she could have eaten a hamburger and other families in the ICU said they saw the family giving her pieces of a hamburger to eat. So if you want to call them liars, go ahead.

Even if you have your wisdom teeth out, you are not supposed to drink out of a straw because that little bit of suction can dislodge the clots forming where your teeth were removed and caused hemorrhaging.

Yep, and I'm sure people who saw the posts by the family on Facebook and then saw they had been deleted just made the whole thing up.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-07-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think you will find that families often smuggle in food that is not on a patient's prescribed diet. No one will be checking bags for contraband victuals.

Jahi would have been without food or drink for 8 hours or more before her surgery. When she waked up she would very likely have been hungry. Her obesity is a hint that her family had a problem with limiting Jahi's food intake. I can definitely see someone thinking it would be OK for her to have a hamburger if she was awake, hungry, and not nauseated.

If she did eat a hamburger, it was obviously before she began bleeding and in the PICU, not the recovery room. Whether the hamburger is truth or fiction we do not know at this time, but it is not an impossibility.
Right. And what I read that was apparently on Facebook was that Jahi had had surgeries before and was always hungry after surgery, so her mother brought food into the ICU for her to have after surgery. Maybe she didn't realize that eating solid food could dislodge the clots forming in the tonsillar fossae and cause hemorrhage. Maybe she thought it wouldn't hurt for Jahi to eat.

People do bring food in for family all the time when they are not supposed to, maybe thinking it is just a stupid hospital rule that they don't have to follow.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Right. And what I read that was apparently on Facebook was that Jahi had had surgeries before and was always hungry after surgery, so her mother brought food into the ICU for her to have after surgery. Maybe she didn't realize that eating solid food could dislodge the clots forming in the tonsillar fossae and cause hemorrhage. Maybe she thought it wouldn't hurt for Jahi to eat.

People do bring food in for family all the time when they are not supposed to, maybe thinking it is just a stupid hospital rule that they don't have to follow.
Right. This scenario is unfortunately quite plausible. And how many times is it shown on TV shows or the movies where someone goes around the rules, allows a dying patient to sneak out for a last day on the beach, or sneaks a sick child's pet kitten in for a heartwarming visit and everything turns out okay? Cell phones are also prohibited and yet most of the time don't cause adverse effects. If the family didn't believe how serious the danger was, it would be easy to imagine a scenario where it would be tempting to sneak around the rules.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM

I've never had my tonsils taken out. You mean to tell me after having surgery on your throat you can swallow something like a hamburger, no problem? My sister could only eat popsicles and broth when she was home from the hospital. I find it hard to believe anyone could eat any solid food after all the sugery this girl had. And Cass Elliot did not choke on a ham sandwich.

If anything, I would look more toward the rumor that the grandmother suctioned her. RUMOR.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
She wasn't on a liquid diet. She was NPO. That means nothing per os, or nothing by mouth. The hospital absolutely would not say it was okay for her to have a hamburger. The family gave it to her anyway. She was likely coughing up blood BECAUSE she ate the hamburger and dislodged the clots that would have been forming where her tonsillectomy was performed.

Yes, it's POSSIBLE to eat after a tonsillectomy. But you're not supposed to for a time. As I stated before, my daughter was 2-1/2 when she had a tonsillectomy and she asked for onion rings when she was in the recovery room. Of course we didn't give her any. Later that day she did eat with no problem (when the doctors said she could eat). My husband had a tonsillectomy within a few weeks of hers and he could NOT eat. The doctor told us that kids usually handle it a lot better than adults and seem to have less pain than adults. So yes, she could have eaten a hamburger and other families in the ICU said they saw the family giving her pieces of a hamburger to eat. So if you want to call them liars, go ahead.

Even if you have your wisdom teeth out, you are not supposed to drink out of a straw because that little bit of suction can dislodge the clots forming where your teeth were removed and caused hemorrhaging.

Yep, and I'm sure people who saw the posts by the family on Facebook and then saw they had been deleted just made the whole thing up.
Quote:

I agree that many people do think that some hospital rules are just "stupid" and don't apply to them, just to everyone else.

Depending on what time of day Jahi had her surgery and when she got out of surgery she could easily have been "without food" for 12 or more hours. Of course, most people, would follow doctors orders of "nothing by mouth" after surgery but for someone with a "healthy appetite" that may have been pretty difficult. No matter what happened the entire situation is terribly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events