Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think so. Apparently the family posted it on Facebook and then later deleted it.
Oh somebody posted something on Facebook and then deleted it. Then it must be true. Because we all know that 100% of everything posted on Facebook is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Wow. I guess I was hoping the staff was not performing any care other than an occasional bath so the family would really "see" death, in all of its (not so much) glory. A warming blanket? Aaarggh. No wonder they're still in denial. OTOH, maybe the staff is trying to preserve a semblance of normalcy for other PICU patients and visitors. Or at least not freak them out.
....or..... maybe the family demanded the warming blanket because Jahi felt cold.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
....or..... maybe the family demanded the warming blanket because Jahi felt cold.
She may have had the warming blanket while they tried to stabilize her after she bled out and became unresponsive. I thought that part of what the judge ordered was to maintain the status quo, including the vent.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
But the thing one has to keep in mind is that in any surgical situation, there are no guarantees. One out of a thousand people may have this complication or that, even if nothing is known to be wrong. Even if it's one out of ten thousand, that's still a person who statistically wasn't at a huge risk, and yet something still went wrong that was outside anyone's control. The body is a complex thing and any surgery carries a risk. A doctor could've very well assessed her as likely capable (because there are again no guarantees) of having a successful surgery, and she could still have had complications (whether or not the family followed post-op instructions, which no one knows at this point.)
Of course. There are no guarantees. But the accusations I see against this family are truly disheartening.

Someone said on facebook the mother gave her a hamburger! And she was fat! So, she deserved whatever bad outcome came her way?

None of us on this board have ANY CLUE what truly happened. And to pretend otherwise - including blaming the family - is just silly.

Somewhere, there had to be a breakdown in communication between the hospital and the family. If not, the family wouldn't be taking the actions they are now. Is that the entire fault of the family? How were they approached and addressed? I don't know.

Was the hospital worried about costs? I think it's quite possible they were. A hospital is a business after all.

Is the mother in deep denial? Yes, she is.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I've worked* on deceased people and they have not exhibited any signs indicating they felt cold. But, you may be right that the family demanded a warming blanket.

*former registered nurse

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I've worked* on deceased people and they have not exhibited any signs indicating they felt cold. But, you may be right that the family demanded a warming blanket.

*former registered nurse
I was thinking along the line that Jahi felt cool to the touch, so mother/grandmother wanted the blanket to warm her up. After all, they believe she is alive and they wouldn't want her to feel cold.

* Possessor of common sense.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Oh somebody posted something on Facebook and then deleted it. Then it must be true. Because we all know that 100% of everything posted on Facebook is the truth.
Why would Jahi's family report something they did on Facebook, like feeding her a hamburger, if it wasn't true? Just for the fun of it? And then why would they delete it? Maybe because they posted something that showed THEY were responsible for Jahi's death?

There are also reports from other families who had children in the ICU as well, saying that they saw Jahi's family feeding her a hamburger and a popsicle, encouraging her to talk when she was wasn't supposed to talk, and suctioning her themselves. The hospital is bound by HIPAA laws not to talk about the case. Other families in the ICU are not bound by HIPAA and can report what they saw, and they have.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
She may have had the warming blanket while they tried to stabilize her after she bled out and became unresponsive.
The declaration by one of Jahi's doctors said that Jahi's body is unable to regulate temperature and that a warming blanket has to be used to keep her temperature above 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I agree that Jahi may have felt cool to the touch and the family demanded a warming blanket.

But what the doctor was saying is that the body is unable to regulate life-sustaining functions and is, in essence, decomposing. She said that the medical staff has done a good job at preserving the outward appearance of the body but the tissues beneath the skin are deterioriating.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
As this debacle goes on I will say my son's kidneys started to and did fail,urine like coffee,potassium level went from 4.5 to 7.5 causing heart to stop,they used paddles to restart and eventually this will happen to her.Then brain death.
We sat in waiting room from 7am to 7pm with daily meetings,doctors optimistic,nurses not.
I was not going to say anymore but speculation made me.There is not a whole lot of reason to continue on.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why would Jahi's family report something they did on Facebook, like feeding her a hamburger, if it wasn't true? Just for the fun of it? And then why would they delete it? Maybe because they posted something that showed THEY were responsible for Jahi's death?

There are also reports from other families who had children in the ICU as well, saying that they saw Jahi's family feeding her a hamburger and a popsicle, encouraging her to talk when she was wasn't supposed to talk, and suctioning her themselves. The hospital is bound by HIPAA laws not to talk about the case. Other families in the ICU are not bound by HIPAA and can report what they saw, and they have.
If they did feed her a hamburger and encourage her to talk, not only should their lawsuit be thrown out.....they should face charges themselves. And....... that includes their lawyer if he was the one who told them to delete that facebook posting to protect their lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events