Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Testimony/declaration by one of Jahi's doctors

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf
Reading the pleading made me ill. The parents need to just stop. Now. And think about the child's well-being. She is decomposing. Her body is shutting down and there is little that machines can do to stop that. I will say that the staff are being very considerate by keeping up the illusion, but Jahi truly is dead and it's time to bury her instead of her body being a spectacle as it goes through the natural death process. I suppose a part of me still feels pained at their loss, but I think my real pain is for the child who has died and can't be put to rest.

I actually did learn a thing or two from this topic and the links provided therein. I have always believed brain death to be death...but all of the clinical papers/documents/etc. and posts have shown me exactly why brain death is death. The body is unable to work without, at the very least, the brain stem. The brain is so crucial to the body and modern science (though it tries) cannot replace it. There will never be any brain transplants. All of the clinical stuff also helped me to appreciate all of the body's processes, and that it takes more than a beating heart and lungs moving to be "alive". A heart is a pump that can be assisted with machines, but that's about it..there are so many other things involved.

In my heart, I hope the family isn't trying to cash out on this poor girl's misfortune. The reality is that this young girl lost her life far too soon and I hope that understand that money will never change that. Who is to blame for her death I'm sure will come out in resultant legal papers...I frankly don't know and I'm reluctant to blame the family, or the hospital really until I know facts. I will say this though, I don't believe for one instant that the child was 200 lbs...come on. A 200 lb young teen would look far heavier than her. She was very overweight (which in itself is sad for a child so young), but I think 200 lbs. is an exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I was thinking along the line that Jahi felt cool to the touch, so mother/grandmother wanted the blanket to warm her up. After all, they believe she is alive and they wouldn't want her to feel cold.

* Possessor of common sense.
LOL. Sorry about that. There are so many people out there who kind of "get it", but not entirely. Actually, I had assumed you were suggesting the family thought she felt cold (not cool to the touch). Thus my comment was not really directed towards you, but I can see where it could be read that way. My apologies.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
This whole thing has entered a very, very macabre and dark place.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This whole thing has entered a very, very macabre and dark place.
Closest we've ever come to:

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - IMDb

Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Have they said where she is yet?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Someone said on facebook the mother gave her a hamburger! And she was fat! So, she deserved whatever bad outcome came her way?
I don't see people saying that. I do see people who are pointing out this was not just a perfectly healthy girl who randomly died after a routine surgery, but one with multiple health issues whose weight may have contributed to the surgery being necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Somewhere, there had to be a breakdown in communication between the hospital and the family. If not, the family wouldn't be taking the actions they are now. Is that the entire fault of the family? How were they approached and addressed? I don't know.
I completely disagree. Unfortunately, patients (and in the case of a minor, the parents of a patient) do not always choose to follow doctor's orders. Patients are told to stop smoking. Not to drink so much. To lose weight. To exercise so many times per week for so many hours. Not to have unprotected sex. Patients choose not to follow those orders all the time. And it's their choice and their body. But my choice not to do xyz that the doctor instructed cannot fairly be blamed on "a breakdown in communication." It was communicated just fine. The trouble is, I have free will.

Watching this unfold and get more and more extreme over the course of weeks, I can only say that I suspect this family would've reacted this way no matter what happened. They are clearly deeply in denial, perhaps are unable either intellectually or emotionally to grasp what is really going on, and from the level this has gotten to with doctor after doctors, judges, everyone stating this girl is really gone, haven't even blinked. They have my deepest sympathies. But there is no part of their behavior that is rational. I could very easily imagine the hospital could've done every single thing right and still gotten this sort of reaction from them.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
As someone who has had to make the choice for my husband, I can say that it was the hardest one I ever had to make but also one that I knew without a doubt was the correct one. He never wanted tubes and machines. We had talked about before. He hated hospitals. But tubes and machines were the only way he could continue to live. I knew that leaving him that way would let us have his body for a few more days or even weeks, but he was already gone.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Why would Jahi's family report something they did on Facebook, like feeding her a hamburger, if it wasn't true?
Or maybe they never posted any such thing.

Quote:
Just for the fun of it?
Thats possible. Haha, Jahi is in the recovery room eating a hamburger after getting her tonsils out. LOL.

Quote:
And then why would they delete it?
Maybe because it was inaccurate or misunderstood?

Naw, it must have been because they are an evil family who murdered their own daughter by shoving a hamburger down her throat after a tonsillectomy so they could sue the hospital.

Quote:
Maybe because they posted something that showed THEY were responsible for Jahi's death?

There are also reports from other families who had children in the ICU as well, saying that they saw Jahi's family feeding her a hamburger and a popsicle, encouraging her to talk when she was wasn't supposed to talk, and suctioning her themselves. The hospital is bound by HIPAA laws not to talk about the case. Other families in the ICU are not bound by HIPAA and can report what they saw, and they have.
As others have pointed out, she would have been on a liquid diet after that surgery. It is highly unlikely that the hospital would have allowed the family to bring her a hamburger in the recovery room after a major surgery. It's even less likely that she could have eaten a hamburger while she was coughing up blood.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

293 posts, read 469,089 times
Has any mentioned Ariel Sharon yet? 8 years and counting...

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
As others have pointed out, she would have been on a liquid diet after that surgery. It is highly unlikely that the hospital would have allowed the family to bring her a hamburger in the recovery room after a major surgery. It's even less likely that she could have eaten a hamburger while she was coughing up blood.
I think you will find that families often smuggle in food that is not on a patient's prescribed diet. No one will be checking bags for contraband victuals.

Jahi would have been without food or drink for 8 hours or more before her surgery. When she waked up she would very likely have been hungry. Her obesity is a hint that her family had a problem with limiting Jahi's food intake. I can definitely see someone thinking it would be OK for her to have a hamburger if she was awake, hungry, and not nauseated.

If she did eat a hamburger, it was obviously before she began bleeding and in the PICU, not the recovery room. Whether the hamburger is truth or fiction we do not know at this time, but it is not an impossibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events