Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid the family figures the longer they drag this out in the media the sooner and larger the payoff.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
I'm afraid the family figures the longer they drag this out in the media the sooner and larger the payoff.

Just my 2 cents.
Me too. Also a better chance at a book/movie deal if there is a more drawn out story to tell.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What happened to Jahi has me digging around for information on brain death and if reversing it is being researched.

Anyway, I came across an interesting abstract about a man who was declared brain dead after being treated with induced hypothermia. Reversible brain death after cardiopulmonary a... [Crit Care Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

I know it's not the same as I doubt they tried induced hypothermia and Jahi has had more than enough time to wake up if she were going to, but it's interesting nonetheless.
There have been a lot of stories reported of someone coming back after hypothermia. Reducing the core temperature kind of puts the body into a suspended state, slows down all the bodily processes, and often they can be brought back after falling through ice into a lake, for instance, because their core temperature fell and that protects the organs.

Did you know that doctors use cold cardioplegic solution and put ice around the heart when doing bypass surgery? Then when finished with bypass, they rewarm the patient and the heart starts beating.

But that is totally different than this case. Jahi has no BRAIN STEM function. She is not coming back.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I've really heard nothing further about this on the news, since Jahi was moved. Not sure if the media outlets have lost interest or . . . ?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post

Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I've really heard nothing further about this on the news, since Jahi was moved. Not sure if the media outlets have lost interest or . . . ?
I have heard little to nothing whatsoever from the family (aside from a few brief comments from their attorney,) since the day they moved her body from the Children's hospital. Unless I am missing a story from the last few days, I don't get the impression that the family is trying to "drag this out in the media."

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
There were a few comments from an older sister and a cousin on Twitter for a few days after the move.....that were quickly deleted.

Looks like their attorney shut that stuff down real quick.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
MSR, do you have a link for the SF Gate comments? Thanks!
Just SFGate: San Francisco Bay Area - News,Bay Area news, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds - SFGate - then find the story you want to read. Comments will follow.

MSR

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 PM

Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There have been a lot of stories reported of someone coming back after hypothermia. Reducing the core temperature kind of puts the body into a suspended state, slows down all the bodily processes, and often they can be brought back after falling through ice into a lake, for instance, because their core temperature fell and that protects the organs.

Did you know that doctors use cold cardioplegic solution and put ice around the heart when doing bypass surgery? Then when finished with bypass, they rewarm the patient and the heart starts beating.

But that is totally different than this case. Jahi has no BRAIN STEM function. She is not coming back.
I still can't rep you, luzianne. Another great post.

Hypothermia or lowering core temp does many things, including to the CNS. Beyond the scope of this discussion. But a fascinating topic.

I agree with you, if hypothermia were a factor in this case, enough time has past (a month) to have any hypothermia factors (had there been any) resolved.

MSR

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 AM

Default M. E.'s Knowledge of Placement?

I realize this is new ground for everyone involved. Children's and Adult ICUs staff everywhere will learn from this case.

My questions may offend some and that really isn't my intention. I'll apologize in advance and suggest anyone offended not read further.

I've needed a break from this case for a while. Away, I found my mind wandering back to 2-3 basic questions about the M.E.'s role and knowledge. I'm certain M.E.'s/Coroner's Offices will be learning too.

Given that the M.E. ultimately will have to conduct an autopsy and the Alameda County Coroner's Office was the location the "transfer" occurred, do you think the M.E.'s office knows where her body was moved?

What keeps going through my mind is how will the M.E. be certain to get the body back?

I'm trying to be sensitive to readers and that a 13 y.o. is gone. I'm also thinking of how an M.E. will be included or not, down the road.

Maybe someone understands my questions and can either answer or re - state a different way so my concern is more clear.

Thanks in advance for any info.

MSR

Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Default How Long Will $ Last for Facility?

A lot of this is the basic info; however, there are some points we've not really addressed.

I'm glad to see this critique of the family's lawyer and the ethicists talking about a facility taking a brain dead patient's body.

But cutting to the chase, how is this "care" being pad for?
LA Times

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events