Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Here's the link to the foundation. It also offers many ways for those who would like to donate to do so.
International Brain Research Foundation, Inc.

I encourage you to read some of their work. It may be promising in TBI and other severe brain injury conditions. There is nothing I could find about working with brain dead only comas and other conditions.

I really don't want to give the Neurologist publicity beyond what the news link did. Just go to the "Board and Staff" Link. When you click on it he's the third person.
He is an adult neurologist who did a fellowship in Neurorehab.

Check the site for current trials and sponsors. I had trouble finding specific studies. However, I found it interesting that the under "Support the Cause," the words, "Philanthropy and Government Agencies," are listed. I actually just found the U.S. Marines as a sponsor for a fund raising gala.
Additionally, I'd sure like to know what other Government Agencies are supporting any research.

To be fair, they are looking at neurological and psychiatric issues millions deal with from ADHD to
strokes and more. So do many major pharmaceutical companies.

Many of their publications focus on, "Severe Disorders of Consciousness."

There are some things that bother me with this Foundation.
1. Why compete with Big Pharmaceutical Companies who make medicines for these disorders or have them in their pipeline?
2. What about the brief mention of solidifying relationships around the world? Are these physicians, sponsors or other?
3. What is their interest and role with a 13 y.o. brain dead teen? Perhaps I misread something about the NJ neurologist who went to California to help. Maybe he just wanted to witness history.

I have another thought but it is too troubling to me personally, to write.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-19-2014 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Most of this is relative of what we already know. Inaccurate information is here as the word "Coma" is used.

I'm posting this as the name of the adult neurologist and the foundation for whom he works are introduced here. I've never seen them previously, others may have.

The neurologist went to CA to help with the transport.

I wonder why the foundation and this MD never contacted CHO to arrange transfer?

New York doctors urge

MSR
I am familiar with this foundation. If I recall ~ they are all about 'preserving the vessel' until a cure is found for traumatic brain injury.

I really can't speak for their motives; though there certainly have been times when I've questioned them.

One would think the neurologist would know the difference between TBI and actual brain death???

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Most of this is relative of what we already know. Inaccurate information is here as the word "Coma" is used.

I'm posting this as the name of the adult neurologist and the foundation for whom he works are introduced here. I've never seen them previously, others may have.

I wonder why the foundation and this MD never contacted CHO to arrange transfer?

New York doctors urge

MSR
The article is from December 31. I suspect that the doctors for the foundation just confirmed what was already known.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Default But They Differ: Coma vs. Brain Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The article is from December 31. I suspect that the doctors for the foundation just confirmed what was already known.
Suzy,

I appreciate your post. I agree it's an "old" article. The reasons I posted it was to

1. Document the Neurologist and Foundation involved. We all have wondered where the family is getting their information. I hadn't seen this neurologist or Foundation's name previously. Others may have.
2. The neurologist openly uses the word COMA and states, " She needs to spend more time in the hospital to recover from her Cardiac Arrest and to determine if she could wake from the coma." etc.
3. Further down in the article it states, "These doctors, who are handling the case pro-bono, are also challenging the status quo definition of brain dead in the medical field and what it really means for the patient."

There is more farther in the article.

To me, those statements are beyond a summary or statement of what the CA physicians, including three Child Neurologists, had determined to be brain death in this teen.

I fear how far this organization will go with this teen's body to see if they can get her to wake up from a "Coma." It certainly explains Mr. Schindler ' s comments about Coma!!!

I wonder who the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is that oversees this Foundation's work? Or does a Foundation have a regulatory IRB like traditional pharmaceutical and clinical investigators do?

MSR

Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Is this new information? Jahi McMath's functioning hypothalamus: some social and scientific considerations

I don't remember reading that her brain had regained the ability to regulate her body temperature at any point.

EDIT: I'm finding a bunch of good articles now, not just on Jahi. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ain-death.html

Quote:
Even then, the doctor can be wrong. Patients declared dead have begun to breathe on their own, after the machines were withdrawn; organ donors have shown signs of life, even as their organs were being removed; and, in at least one case, the harvest was aborted and the patient eventually went home, neurologically impaired but decidedly alive. And there are cases, well-known among transplant doctors and ethicists, in which people have taken home “dead bodies” that have gone on to live for long periods. In one case, a three-and-a half-year-old boy whose brain was destroyed by infection was taken home by his mother, who cared for him for twenty years in her basement before he finally died, from cardiac arrest, in 2004. Evidently, the body does not always fall apart in the absence of its maestro.

Last edited by trishguard; 01-19-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 PM

Default New Yorker is Publishing More

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Is this new information? Jahi McMath's functioning hypothalamus: some social and scientific considerations

I don't remember reading that her brain had regained the ability to regulate her body temperature at any point.

EDIT: I'm finding a bunch of good articles now, not just on Jahi. Lights Out: A New Reckoning for Brain Death : The New Yorker
trishguard,

Dr. Paul Byrne was mentioned earlier. He is a neonatologist in OH. He has served as the President of. The American Catholic Medical Association. He has been speaking for many years and now is being quoted often due to this case.

Dr. Flori ( Dept. Chief of Critical Care Medicine at CHO) was very clear in her 7 page statement for the court that the staff used special supplies/techniques to keep the 13 y.o. body warm as that neurological function was gone. Good memory on your part!

I imagine we'll start to see more and more articles from the Tri - State Area.

I still wonder who oversees/monitors treatment for the International Brain Research Foundation? They also have an incomplete website for IBRI, UK.

MSR

Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:

New York doctors urge

MSR
""Fellus told The News she needs to spend more time in the hospital to recover from her cardiac arrest and to determine if she could wake from the coma""

Talk about CYA!! Sickening.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
As long as the body doesn't cause a public nuisance when it rots and stinks, I don't see why it should be anyone's concern except those who are paying to not have it buried.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
As long as the body doesn't cause a public nuisance when it rots and stinks, I don't see why it should be anyone's concern except those who are paying to not have it buried.
The reason for the concern is that this may set a precedent. Conceivably, it could make organ donation very difficult or impossible.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The reason for the concern is that this may set a precedent. Conceivably, it could make organ donation very difficult or impossible.
Not everyone is an organ donor. And I've read that there is still some brain activity in a person designated as brain dead, just not enough for them to function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events