Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Interesting.

Dr. Lazenby is a nurse practitioner. His doctorate is in theology. He is not a physician, and his nursing expertise is not in otolaryngology.

He repeats the misinformation that it was a "routine" tonsillectomy, asserts that the hospital should have supported their religious beliefs, and states that doing so might have made it possible for Jahi's parents to accept her death, then goes on to quite loftily say, "More important, the healthcare professionals involved might have realized that they do not have power over life and death."

Unbelievable!

He has been taken to task by several posters who pointed out that the surgery was not routine and that the hospital went to extreme lengths to support this family, including pastoral counselling --- which the family rejected. One person even knows the minister, whom she describes as compassionate and dedicated. That chaplain apparently attends every death at the hospital.

Dr. Lazenby should have kept his fingers off the keyboard. He has contributed nothing to the discussion.
Suzy,

I specifically included the NP's information for two reasons:

1. He is keeping a blog given his NP and Theology experience. Clearly, some most be reading.
It. Potentially he is being quoted in Blogs.
2. I don't know if you could see it, but the blog had been updated on tbe 2i8th. The last previous entry was on 01/14/2014.
I believe it was the with Facebook was supposedly updated on the 28th too. Sure odd how videos the family or their representatives add to Facebook suddenly have broken connections etc. so soon after they are added.

I find the posts of the NP and "family, if that is who was in the video, too closely released/updated for it to be coincidence for me.

I wonder about these professionals, who are not neurologists or have neurology experience. I do understand this NP and additional training in Divinity studies. I'm confident he means well, but I wonder how Yale allows him to post inaccurate info in his blog, which is part of his Yale profile.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Here's a doctor who gets it. Brain death equals death: says who? - PulmCCM

The comments are pretty good reading too.

And I have to agree, it is dishonest to be told that your loved one is dead when they are warm and still have a beating heart.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Default An Interesting Perspective. .

Many have posted about the soul/spirit of the 13 y.o. brain dead teen. I'm not Jewish so I found this article, while missing medical details, to address a question many of us have had.

Where Are You, Jahi McMath? | Religious and Reform | Jewish Journal

MSR

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post

And I have to agree, it is dishonest to be told that your loved one is dead when they are warm and still have a beating heart.
I'm confused. I don't understand what the "doctor got" posted on Jan. 06, 2014. He didn't know where she was or who had participated in her care, their goals or methods used to keep her heart beating.

I do agree with one point he makes. She could have been removed from her vent after brain death had been declared. Perhaps the Critical Care doctors at CHO were too compassionate vs. following CA law.

For those who believe life continues as long as a heart is beating, regardless of external support, including meds and a vent, be sure to write that in your own living will, discuss with your family and your doctor. Advanced planning for unexpected situations helps everyone plan, including financially, to represent you if you can't state your own wishes.

MSR

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Yes, Very Disconcerting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've been wondering, too. Will we know if they finally decide to bury her? Will we still be talking about her 6 months from now, wondering at what stage her corpse is?

Very disconcerting.
I agree with both of you who posted about this. How will anyone know what "treatment" she had. I guess the M.E., as if the Coroner's office will get her body back.

This starts such a slippery slope........

Thanks to both of you for thoughtfully stating what many have wondered.

MSR

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post

What if ultimately we could keep the hearts of every brain dead person beating indefinitely? By creating homeostasis of all the hormones and chemicals produced by the brain, we could preserve the kidneys and the liver and all the magic that is a living body. Where would we warehouse them? Who would pay for it? Should the money come from the health care system, if doing so means there is less money to provide care to people who can actually benefit from it? What if many of those people were young, like Jahi, and could be kept on a ventilator for decades? Can we really justify the expenditure of the resources that would take to keep someone to old age without a functioning brain?

The problem here is not that Jahi's mother refuses to believe her daughter is dead, it is that she believes Jahi will get better. She expects the return of the child she had before, and that is not going to happen.

The fact is that when brain death occurs, people stop breathing and their hearts stop soon after in the absence of artificial ventilation. Stopping the artificial ventilation allows the inexorable process that started with death of the brain to reach its inevitable conclusion. There is absolutely nothing dishonest about that.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The fact is that when brain death occurs, people stop breathing and their hearts stop soon after in the absence of artificial ventilation. Stopping the artificial ventilation allows the inexorable process that started with death of the brain to reach its inevitable conclusion. There is absolutely nothing dishonest about that.
It's been almost seven weeks. How long will the heart beat?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Many have posted about the soul/spirit of the 13 y.o. brain dead teen. I'm not Jewish so I found this article, while missing medical details, to address a question many of us have had.

Where Are You, Jahi McMath? | Religious and Reform | Jewish Journal

MSR
Great article! Muslims are buried within 24 hours of death. I wonder what their take on this is.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
From the thread on the brain dead mother kept on the ventilator in an attempt to save her baby, we know it can be months. Even in that case, her husband could detect how her body was deteriorating, despite everything being done to try to keep her in as good a condition as possible.

Keep in mind that one of the tests done to confirm death of the brain is to see if the person can breathe if taken off the ventilator. If the patient cannot do that, removing the ventilator will lead to cardiac arrest very quickly.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM

Default Unknown-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
blueherons,

That is a good question. I have to disqualify myself from answering as there is no treatment information being released, so no idea what meds, artificial measures like a heart pump or pacemaker etc. might be in the orders.

Worse yet, I don't know if even five people have spoken about the teen's status in NJ/NY. The video link I posted 2 days ago, was immediately taken down by from Facebook, or so we're told. I don't know if there is a date on that video or not. Unless something identifies the new facility, how do we know that wasn't filmed at CHO?

I hope someone with more information and is smarter than I am can answer the question you asked. It's a good one!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events