Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times

Advertisements

I don't understand and maybe some of you with a medical background can explain it to me but isn't her body decomposing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Yes, her body has been decomposing from some time. Within a week or so of brain death, the brain itself begins the process of lysis. Lysis is the technical term for the brain turning to mush. It won't totally liquify, but has become the consistency of pudding or apple sauce. It will never go back to its original form.

This is the testimony of one of the doctors as to what is also going on as her body decomposes. It's long but read through it.

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf

Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
You would suspect the odors would also be very strong by now.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
This whole case is very sad and has prompted so many different reactions and comments from different people. However one thing I think anyone who has contributed to the thread can now agree on is the difference between brain death and brain injury/coma.
For myself it has meant conversations with my husband about my wishes if for any reason I would end up in this position myself, we have decided that alongside making/updating our wills we will both have a living will which will detail our wishes should an event like this occur.

For now there doesn't seem to be any new news about Jahi, as this case slips to the shadows the media will cover it less and less and I wonder if by the time she passes we will hear much more than a one liner from the press?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 AM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
The part of this that bugs me is: Why Exactly should keeping her on a ventilator cost Thousands a day?! They are not buying the machine, and it is reusable. Another medical rip-off and excuse to raise insurance premiums.

And further, the cost of using the ventilator shouldn't be a factor in whether or not she has a chance to live.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
The part of this that bugs me is: Why Exactly should keeping her on a ventilator cost Thousands a day?! They are not buying the machine, and it is reusable. Another medical rip-off and excuse to raise insurance premiums.

And further, the cost of using the ventilator shouldn't be a factor in whether or not she has a chance to live.
Isn't she dead?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post

Because if you are on a ventilator, you are in an intensive care unit. That unit must be staffed 24/7 with skilled nurses and respiratory technicians.

As another poster pointed out, she is dead. It is not a matter of giving her a chance to live. Have you read the graphic description of what is happening to her body?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
This is just so morbid. They are just propping up a dead body. Why don't they understand this?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
The fact that her body is going through the deconposition process despite her heart/lungs moving shows you that once the brain is gone, you're basically gone.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
This has turned into the perfect marriage of greed and ignorance.

The attorney representing the family is a board member of Consumer Attorneys of CA. This is an advocacy group seeking to raise the state's cap on medical malpractice awards. He seems to be looking for payday for himself IMO.

The family seems to lack the intellectual ability to understand what is going on. Even the grandmother, who is supposed to be a nurse, is clueless. Together, they and the attorney have found each other and are continuing this disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events