Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Translated means the tonsils, adenoids, and uvula ( that piece of tissue that hangs above your throat) are removed. Used to be the tonsils and adenoids were routinely removed at the same time, I don't think the uvula was part of that deal. Sounds like they removed the uvula along with the other tissues to clear the airway well in hopes of alleviating severe sleep apnia. But those tissues are highly vascularized, and heavy bleeding could be a complication, if precautions aren't taken.
Why on earth did they not try weight loss to help with her sleep apnea before they went in for surgery? This is such a sad situation, but one that could have been avoided before she went under the knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why on earth did they not try weight loss to help with her sleep apnea before they went in for surgery? This is such a sad situation, but one that could have been avoided before she went under the knife.

I have a sneaking suspicion that weight loss was encouraged by her doctors for a long time before surgery was ever discussed. Getting parents of overweight children to initiate the radical changes in the whole family's diet needed for successful weight loss is very hard. Jahi's mother and stepfather are both overweight. I do not know about Jahi's siblings.

Discussion - Effectiveness of Weight Management Programs in Children and Adolescents - NCBI Bookshelf

Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
Per the family's own lawyer they admitted they suctioned her themselves.
Oakland 8th Grader "Brain Dead" After Tonsillectomy | NBC Bay Area

At the same time, Sealey said it appeared to the family as though the nursing staff had vanished during what seemed to be a shift change. In the family's minds, there didn't seem to be enough hospital staff in the room to help. The family started suctioning blood themselves; Jahi's grandmother, Sandra Chatman, is a nurse at another hospital.
“A 13-year-old should not have to suction herself,” Sealey said. “She had to use a suction machine to suction her own blood. Her mother and stepfather had to suction out her blood at points. None of them work for this hospital.”

Although, I do not claim to be an expert on intensive care, I have had about 12 to 15 different times when I was the adult with a loved one cared for in an intensive care unit. Many times it was after a surgery. Several times it was a potential life vs. death situation (ie, not just a "routine" ICU stay, if that is even possible).

Again, it was just my personal experience, but on the very rare situation where a nurse did not immediately appear when the nurse button was pushed a simple yell from the doorway "I need help, NOW!" resulted in nurses & doctors running into the room. I simply can not believe that the nurses just left patients in a PICU alone long enough for someone other than a nurse to suction a post-operative patient. Between my late mother and my husband I have waited in ICU rooms/waiting rooms for at least a total of three or four months at several different hospitals. I can not ever think of a time when help wasn't available when it was needed. Nurses just don't "disappear during shift changes".

Something is really fishy in their statements. Grandmother, step-father AND the mother all had time to suction Jahi before the nurses came back to the PICU. Really fishy.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that weight loss was encouraged by her doctors for a long time before surgery was ever discussed. Getting parents of overweight children to initiate the radical changes in the whole family's diet needed for successful weight loss is very hard. Jahi's mother and stepfather are both overweight. I do not know about Jahi's siblings.

Discussion - Effectiveness of Weight Management Programs in Children and Adolescents - NCBI Bookshelf
I agree. It probably got to the point that they had to do something and surgery became the best option.

I also agree with your other post about them probably getting excellent and compassionate care at the children's hospital. That hospital is highly respected. I haven't worked in a children's hospital but have worked in a large teaching hospital/trauma center and patient care is the #1 priority.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
According to this post she got her tubes

https://mobile.twitter.com/iseeyou_n...972864/photo/1

edit to add: I can't view the link anymore. It was active when I first clicked on it. Does not appear to be anymore.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
From the link: "Praying for a strong recovery"

They are in for a huge heartbreak, even more then already seen.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I agree. It probably got to the point that they had to do something and surgery became the best option.

I also agree with your other post about them probably getting excellent and compassionate care at the children's hospital. That hospital is highly respected. I haven't worked in a children's hospital but have worked in a large teaching hospital/trauma center and patient care is the #1 priority.
I want to point out that my experience was as the parent of a patient, not as a hospital employee. My son was an inpatient many times while he was on chemo for leukemia. Fortunately, he did not ever have to be in intensive care, but I do know the resources that were there to help parents cope.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
According to this post she got her tubes

https://mobile.twitter.com/iseeyou_n...972864/photo/1

edit to add: I can't view the link anymore. It was active when I first clicked on it. Does not appear to be anymore.
This is just getting more and more macabre. Who would put a feeding tube in when she has been sloughing the lining of her intestine for weeks?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Last edited by Rakin; 08-06-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It was more involved than that. Not just tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and uvulectomy. It was a uvulupalatopharyngoplasty. That means they were basically reconstructing her entire airway. Uvula, palate, and pharynx, in addition to tonsils and adenoids.
I was responding to the OP who through the words out there. But I'll take your word for it, now that I see the suffix -plasty in the surgery list. But my questions are the same, those are heavily vascularized areas subject to bleeding, and I wonder if as reported the girl bled so profusely that she essentially bled to death, why this occurred if she was monitored post surgery as she should have been for complications such as bleeding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events