Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post

If anything, I would look more toward the rumor that the grandmother suctioned her. RUMOR.
Per the family's own lawyer they admitted they suctioned her themselves.
Oakland 8th Grader "Brain Dead" After Tonsillectomy | NBC Bay Area

Quote:
At the same time, Sealey said it appeared to the family as though the nursing staff had vanished during what seemed to be a shift change. In the family's minds, there didn't seem to be enough hospital staff in the room to help. The family started suctioning blood themselves; Jahi's grandmother, Sandra Chatman, is a nurse at another hospital.

“A 13-year-old should not have to suction herself,” Sealey said. “She had to use a suction machine to suction her own blood. Her mother and stepfather had to suction out her blood at points. None of them work for this hospital.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
Watching this case develop it amazes me that the media is still reporting the cause as a simple tonsilectomy. Once again the media is selectively reporting what it wants for its own sensational cause.
I have a feeling this case will rage on long after Jahi has found peace, so much information for and against both the family and the hospital. For my mind at the end of the day unless a huge part of the pre-op was skipped and Jahi's family were not informed of the nature and complexity of the operations she was to undergo which I very much doubt would happen then with full consent and knowing her daughter was overweight and ?diabetic? the mother signed the consents and releases of her own free will. Barring a huge medical mistake in the OR this looks like it will come down to the "he said, she said" of what happened post-op.
If indeed Jahi was given a hamburger and it was witnessed by others in the ICU then that could become the pivotal point of this whole sad case.
I can understand the family wanting to know why, but suing the hospital will not bring her back.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post

Well then, it sounds like the attorney has possibly implicated the family, depending on the cause of death, and cleared the hospital of all wrong doing. He's not very good.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
And the grandmother's not even an RN, she's an LPN. Even if she were an RN, she should not be suctioning someone unless it she is on the job and instructed to do so. She probably never even worked in a postop setting. She probably has just enough medical knowledge to make her dangerous.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And the grandmother's not even an RN, she's an LPN. Even if she were an RN, she should not be suctioning someone unless it she is on the job and instructed to do so. She probably never even worked in a postop setting. She probably has just enough medical knowledge to make her dangerous.
Perfect summary, luzianne! Besides, not being an employee at CHO, SHE broke licensing laws and Procedures for CHO! Talk about who could be sued!

It's one thing to place a cool washcloth on a grandchild's feverish head, if a grandchild is feverish (not the case here). It's entirely different to use medical equipment owned by CHO to perform a medical/nursing task if she suctioned.

I posted early on we don't know in what setting the grandmother works. She may work in outpatient clinic with a Dermatologist or psychiatrist etc. The point being she could be skilled obtaining vital signs etc. but have little to no inpatient experience, and certainly not ICU level.

If the grandmother works in an inpatient unit I fail to understand why she didn't go find a CHO R.N. or intern etc. It doesn't matter if they were in shift change, those who are working in inpatient settings know how to get help anytime!

We don't have the facts yet and I don't want to inaccurately accuse someone of something I don't know. More reason, though, to look forward to the day all medical records are released. This may be one time other parents present in the PICU, let alone staff, want to be among the first 10-20 deposed or otherwise give a statement for legal purposes.

I have always wondered about the grandmother's understanding of brain death and influence on the mom. We know she has been with her daughter at the hospital.

It is time for Dignity and Peace be given to this teen ' s body.

MSR

Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Agendas!!!

This is wrong, IMHO. Using this teen to raise money.
Jahi McMath case used as Consumer Watchdog fundraising tool - SFGate

Sometimes it is best to not write more......

MSR

Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Good Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Life insurance for children is usually simply to cover the costs to bury them. Funerals are expensive.
Thanks for your post, maciesmom. Like others have mentioned, my parents had a policy for all their children too. Maybe I misunderstood the original posts about this. I thought life insurance was being offered at the hospital prior to surgery.

Parents who plan for their children don't rely on a possibility of coverage obtained at admission.

I agree, funerals are expensive. That being said, there are alternatives. Besides, when one looks at how many donors have contributed to the amount raised for her "care." Some are generous when helping to assure a dignified and appropriate funeral/Memorial for a child.

MSR

Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Good; and I Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've certainly learned a lot reading this thread and thank you all for contributing.

When my stepdaughter was 25 she had her tonsils out and twice she almost bled to death from sneezing. The MD explained it to us like this, as a child the vein leading to your tonsils is the size of a hair. When you are an adult it is much thicker. I'm sure this 200 pound child had a vein like an adults.

Everyone is a loser here.
Thanks for your post, blueherons. There have been some incredibly helpful posts here. As I've written before, education was my primary factor starting this thread. I have learned more and I suspect others have too.

I also agree there are no winners, unless it is lawyers. I know we have some attorneys and others who work in the legal field posting here. In no way are my words aimed at them. Simply stated, I don't understand the Judge's rulings! And the attorney representing the family confuses me, at best. Some of his comments potentially only a lawyer understands.

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I thought the court was also involved appointing counsel for the family. But, I could easily be wrong about that.

I don't know that it serves the family to have both their attorney and the uncle issuing soundbites or statements.

MSR

Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Excellent!

Quote:
I can't rep you, ncsualum. As always, your posts contain such useful information.

Thank you for continued informative and factual posts
This one adds a lot as well.

MSR

Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks for your post, maciesmom. Like others have mentioned, my parents had a policy for all their children too. Maybe I misunderstood the original posts about this. I thought life insurance was being offered at the hospital prior to surgery.

Parents who plan for their children don't rely on a possibility of coverage obtained at admission.

I agree, funerals are expensive. That being said, there are alternatives. Besides, when one looks at how many donors have contributed to the amount raised for her "care." Some are generous when helping to assure a dignified and appropriate funeral/Memorial for a child.

MSR
To clarify, I was mainly responding to the post indicating disgust at the idea of parents in general purchasing life insurance for their children (through their employer or otherwise). The purpose is not to obtain a financial windfall but to know that if the unthinkable occurs, they will at least not have to wonder how to pay for a burial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events