Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Another young person dies after a tonsillectomy:
Tributes Pour in For College Linebacker Who Died After Tonsil Surgery: 'We Lost a Diamond'
I had one as a teenager. The recovery was terrible and if I had to do it over I would not have had it done.
It appears that the cause of death may have been a blood clot, not a direct complication of the actual procedure. That suggests the young man had a condition that might predispose him to having blood clots, which are not common in his age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It appears that the cause of death may have been a blood clot, not a direct complication of the actual procedure. That suggests the young man had a condition that might predispose him to having blood clots, which are not common in his age group.
Didn't Jahi also have a preexisting condition relating to bleeding? Or was that just a rumor? I have heard so much about her case and sometimes it's hard to find what's true and what's not.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Didn't Jahi also have a preexisting condition relating to bleeding? Or was that just a rumor? I have heard so much about her case and sometimes it's hard to find what's true and what's not.
I do not remember reading anything about such a condition.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
I do not remember reading anything about such a condition.
I recall a planned stay in the ICU but I don't remember a bleeding condition. That doesn't mean it didn't exist. I don't remember reading about it in the lawsuit paperwork either.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Another young person dies after a tonsillectomy:
Tributes Pour in For College Linebacker Who Died After Tonsil Surgery: 'We Lost a Diamond'
I had one as a teenager. The recovery was terrible and if I had to do it over I would not have had it done.
Jahi actually had 3 procedures done at the same time. There was nothing routine about what she had done. Her need for surgery was directly related to her obesity.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Jahi actually had 3 procedures done at the same time. There was nothing routine about what she had done. Her need for surgery was directly related to her obesity.
I remember wondering about that when I first saw her picture. I wondered why they were doing surgery for apnea when weight loss would surely have improved the problem.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I remember wondering about that when I first saw her picture. I wondered why they were doing surgery for apnea when weight loss would surely have improved the problem.
I heard her mother preferred the surgery despite the doctor also offering weight loss as another plan. I'm sure a good doctor would also recommend a nutritionist and help the family step in the right direction for that, as well. But again, lots of info was going around about this case. What I've heard could be wrong.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 PM

If it is true that her family fed her right after the surgery, then it is likely that they have attitudes toward eating that would be very difficult to counter. Also, how do you make a teenager control her eating if she does not wish to do it herself? Lock her in the cellar?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
If it is true that her family fed her right after the surgery, then it is likely that they have attitudes toward eating that would be very difficult to counter. Also, how do you make a teenager control her eating if she does not wish to do it herself? Lock her in the cellar?
And apparently they didn't just feed her, they fed her a HAMBURGER. After a pretty big surgery like that I don't think I would ever want something so heavy even if I were allowed to have it (which she wasn't).

It is possible to control the diet of a young teen. But it would have to be a family effort. Throw out all unhealthy foods and buy healthy ones, let her splurge on something once a week though, and try to get her into a sport or exercise activity she might like. Have her doctor sit her down and talk to her seriously about her health and why it's important to lose weight. I think it would have been possible. But it would have been hard work. I don't think her mother wanted anyone to put the work in, I think she wanted a quick fix - the surgery.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Back to the beginning posts. There are some times, such as a person with no brain function, you have to say "Via con Dios" and let them die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events