Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
...In my opinion, there are much worse things than death; and being trapped in a "living" death is one of them, and watching someone you love either suffer or being in a persistent vegetative are others.
I agree with you, as do many people. However, I am not convinced that an individual who is brain dead is capable of any type of conscious thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
I have zero skin in this game, but I have massive amounts of sympathy for anyone who's had to endure anything similar.

My only comments are: by all accounts, this family was treated insensitively. First, they were ignored when they pled for help when their daughter was bleeding. Then, before they were even allowed to process their anger and grief over their daughters condition, they were aggressively pressured to allow her organs to be harvested.

I do not agree with the family's subsequent actions, but I am not at all surprised that they felt backed into a corner and responded aggressively in return.

Family of Jahi McMath sues doctor, Oakland hospital over brain damage - LA Times

Old 03-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I have zero skin in this game, but I have massive amounts of sympathy for anyone who's had to endure anything similar.

My only comments are: by all accounts, this family was treated insensitively. First, they were ignored when they pled for help when their daughter was bleeding. Then, before they were even allowed to process their anger and grief over their daughters condition, they were aggressively pressured to allow her organs to be harvested.

I do not agree with the family's subsequent actions, but I am not at all surprised that they felt backed into a corner and responded aggressively in return.

Family of Jahi McMath sues doctor, Oakland hospital over brain damage - LA Times
"By all accounts" is not an accurate statement. Your statements are a summary of the family's account only. We have no idea if any of this is correct, since the family has refused to allow the hospital to tell their side of the story. Under federal law, the nurses, doctors, hospital administrators, and other hospital staff that were involved are prohibited from saying anything about the case to the public. The family, on the other hand, is allowed to say anything they want to any media outlet, social networking site, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I agree with you, as do many people. However, I am not convinced that an individual who is brain dead is capable of any type of conscious thought.
Absolutely agree! (Sorry if I gave the impression I thought otherwise.)

Old 03-06-2015, 08:10 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Quote:
"By all accounts" is not an accurate statement. Your statements are a summary of the family's account only. We have no idea if any of this is correct, since the family has refused to allow the hospital to tell their side of the story. Under federal law, the nurses, doctors, hospital administrators, and other hospital staff that were involved are prohibited from saying anything about the case to the public. The family, on the other hand, is allowed to say anything they want to any media outlet, social networking site, etc.
As I said, I have zero skin in this game. But at least one other family - who are white and middle class - had an identical experience at UCSF - Benioff: medical malpractice, a dead child, and then aggressive pressure to donate organs.

Smoke = fire.

Danville family of brain-dead girl sues Oakland hospital that treated Jahi McMath - ContraCostaTimes.com

Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2478933

Just an update for those who followed this case. I never had a comment or expressed an opinion about what I felt the family should do, because I believe that a decision like that is for each family to make. I do find it interesting that, after two years, she hasn't decomposed and rotted away as predicted. She still appears to be in a healthy, albeit comatose, state. Now the family is fighting to have her death certificate voided.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:43 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Maybe she's not really brain dead. But she will never live a life again. I don't think she is doing this for money but due to a lack of critical thinking skills and basic intelligence. This seems like a hopeless waste of time, energy, and resources. She will never have her daughter back again.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2478933

Just an update for those who followed this case. I never had a comment or expressed an opinion about what I felt the family should do, because I believe that a decision like that is for each family to make. I do find it interesting that, after two years, she hasn't decomposed and rotted away as predicted. She still appears to be in a healthy, albeit comatose, state. Now the family is fighting to have her death certificate voided.
It is interesting that the family has only released a limited number of pictures of her head. I also saw a video of her leg or foot when it moved (allegedly due to a voluntary commend from the brain.) In every other photo I have seen, her entire body has been covered. Thus, we really have no way of determining whether or not her body has "decomposed and rotted away." There is certainly no way to determine the condition of her internal organs. The staff that are caring for her may know, but the family can probably prohibit them from disclosing this information. There is also no real way to confirm when any of these photos were taken. For all I know, her "15th birthday" photo could have been taken anytime.

That said, it is amazing how well her head has been preserved by the life support machines, since her death. Then again, it's remarkable how well preserved corpses are after embalming.

Who is paying for the life support? If they are trying to get the death certificate annulled, in an effort to force insurance to pay for her care, it may be a sign that the coffers are running low.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
It is interesting that the family has only released a limited number of pictures of her head. I also saw a video of her leg or foot when it moved (allegedly due to a voluntary commend from the brain.) In every other photo I have seen, her entire body has been covered. Thus, we really have no way of determining whether or not her body has "decomposed and rotted away." There is certainly no way to determine the condition of her internal organs. The staff that are caring for her may know, but the family can probably prohibit them from disclosing this information. There is also no real way to confirm when any of these photos were taken. For all I know, her "15th birthday" photo could have been taken anytime.

That said, it is amazing how well her head has been preserved by the life support machines, since her death. Then again, it's remarkable how well preserved corpses are after embalming.

Who is paying for the life support? If they are trying to get the death certificate annulled, in an effort to force insurance to pay for her care, it may be a sign that the coffers are running low.
This exactly. As she is now residing in my state (yay us ), I recently researched Jahi looking curiously for new updates. She is often covered in pictures, with blankets up to her chin, and her mother shares very close up images of only certain parts of her body. Her mother also seems to often put heavy makeup on Jahi's face and even hands, as well as covering her nails with nail polish. There are websites I found with simple google searches dedicated to proving that Jahi is in fact decomposing, but her mother doesn't want us to see it. They were pretty convincing, with well researched info coming straight from the mother and examined closely by writers on the website who have made compelling arguments and hypotheses and claim to have access to insiders who worked with Jahi in the care centers.

After viewing the pictures and reading the arguments from these people, it is my (very unprofessional, clearly, as I am not a doctor) opinion that Jahi is decomposing, but her mother/support team are hiding it from the public to keep up the donating and public support/relevance.

I hope the state of NJ is in no way paying for her care. Not like it matters what I think, but as a resident, I don't support that. Especially seeing as her family brought her here from CA after all this happened and she or her family have never been NJ residents. Apparently the laws in NJ are different than CA, and more friendly to caring for a person who has been declared brain dead and keeping them alive. I may not be understanding this correctly, but frankly I don't care enough anyway. I think this whole ordeal and situation is a disgrace. I feel for Jahi and her family but they need to let her go. They screwed up before and after her surgery and now they're paying for what they did. It's time to face it. She's gone, and yes the family is partially at fault and that sucks for them to have to live with, but it is what it is. This is no life for her and she's never going to wake up and be Jahi again like they think she is.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:

Court papers have stated NJ medicaid is paying. The family wants the death ruling changed because there is a cap on child death money in the courts but not for injury. In other words they stand to get a lot more money if the death finding is overturned. BTW the hospital has been cleared of wrong doing by the state and this is not the first time the family has tried to have the finding overturned. Their evidence has never been proven as evidence and a lot of it is just the same thing over and over but not proof of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events