Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,056,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I will ask you the same question that I asked two other people, do you take offense to those who hunt as a sport?

Then your issue should be with the court system, not the man. You should ask the courts why he didn't get more time.

So the fact that he doesn't appear sincere and has 'gotten off' in your opinion is reason to dislike this man, until you go to your grave? Is there anything he will ever be able to do to get your sympathy or at least respect as a person?

yes, I do find trophy hunting an awful thing to do and said as much in my original post......

I have issue with the court system and with the man.... anyone who could do what he did to those defenseless creatures is subhuman in my book...

no, he will NEVER have any sympathy or respect from me.... why would he??

I do rescue and I see constantly what people like him inflict upon companion animals and it turns my stomach.... none will EVER have sympathy or respect from me.... respect must be earned and willingness to torture and abuse a creature smaller and weaker and dependent upon you for its survival puts a person in the forever pissant column....

throwing a football means nothing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,005,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes, I do find trophy hunting an awful thing to do and said as much in my original post......
You better save your energy because you got quite a few people to protest besides Michael Vick

Big-Time Athletes Who Are Also Big-Time Hunters | Bleacher Report

I mean that means you probably should not support places like Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, or any other places that sale hunting material as well.

Quote:
I have issue with the court system and with the man.... anyone who could do what he did to those defenseless creatures is subhuman in my book...
The man made a horrible decision. Possibly the worst decision in his life, but since then he hasn't hurt any animals that we know of and has not gone down that path.

Quote:
no, he will NEVER have any sympathy or respect from me.... why would he??
If you believe people shouldn't be forgiven and they can't change, then I hope you can walk on water.

That doesn't mean you forget what he did, but I don't think it's fair to continue to label someone for something they did in their past IF they are no longer doing it. Just remember you reap what you sow. The same measure that you give out, it will be given back to you.

Quote:
I do rescue and I see constantly what people like him inflict upon companion animals and it turns my stomach.... none will EVER have sympathy or respect from me.... respect must be earned and willingness to torture and abuse a creature smaller and weaker and dependent upon you for its survival puts a person in the forever pissant column....

throwing a football means nothing.....
You don't know him. None of us do. If I went by my past experience of PEOPLE LIKE YOU, I would probably assume some negative things about you as well. Unless you know what this man does on a day-to-day basis, I don't think it's fair to say that he acts like all the other people you have encountered. If you truly believe 'certain people' act the same then you have other issues...

It certainly doesn't mean anything to throw a football, but to you it does because I wonder if you put this much energy to protest people like Chipper Jones or Jared Allen? I also wonder what you are doing to stop others from dog fighting besides post your concerns on the internet.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,695,143 times
Note to self: Don't respond. It's not worth it.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,392,200 times
Quote:
You better save your energy because you got quite a few people to protest besides Michael Vick

I mean that means you probably should not support places like Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods, or any other places that sale hunting material as well.

The man made a horrible decision. Possibly the worst decision in his life, but since then he hasn't hurt any animals that we know of and has not gone down that path.

If you believe people shouldn't be forgiven and they can't change, then I hope you can walk on water.

That doesn't mean you forget what he did, but I don't think it's fair to continue to label someone for something they did in their past IF they are no longer doing it. Just remember you reap what you sow. The same measure that you give out, it will be given back to you.

You don't know him. None of us do. If I went by my past experience of PEOPLE LIKE YOU, I would probably assume some negative things about you as well. Unless you know what this man does on a day-to-day basis, I don't think it's fair to say that he acts like all the other people you have encountered. If you truly believe 'certain people' act the same then you have other issues...

It certainly doesn't mean anything to throw a football, but to you it does because I wonder if you put this much energy to protest people like Chipper Jones or Jared Allen? I also wonder what you are doing to stop others from dog fighting besides post your concerns on the internet.
You dare to compare abuse to legal hunting????

Sad......

Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,132,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
He has been through the criminal justice system and paid according to what he was sentenced.

I don't know why there are so many people out there who just want to not let him move on from this. You don't think he remembers spending time in prison? You don't think he knows how much playing time, salary and endorsements he lost?

I think rehabilitated felons are probably some of the best examples that our young people could listen to on what NOT to do. Not Vick specifically but I'm sure there are plenty of released prisoners out there who speak to youth about why it's important to live a law abiding life.

I bet if he wasn't a professional athlete, no one would care. Talk about double standards. What if it was a guy not famous, would you all be like this, still?

He can move on with his life, that does not mean that I have to like him, root for him, associate with him, or listen to him speak.

He has the right to move on, and I have the right to think that the is a piece of trash.

What is more, I don't want to forget this lousy quarterback thing. It is strange enough that they would want any professional athlete in an era when boys are falling way behind in terms of academic achievement. One could make the point that they need to have someone up there who is talking about the glories or an education...not scrambling for a touchdown.

But all of that being said, Vick is crappy quarterback who had one exceptional season, one good one, and has otherwise been a bust who had ridden the hype train to more chances than he deserved.

So I expand upon my original formula: inhumane criminal+lousy quarterback= strange/poor/headscratching choice

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,056,915 times
Quote:

big big difference in hunting for meat as opposed to trophy hunting.... although I do neither.... if a hunter consumes what he or she kills, then the animal's death is not in vain to satisfy some sick ego....

fwiw...... I DON'T shop at Walmart, for reasons besides their carrying guns and have not a reason in the world to go into Dick's Sporting Goods.....

and its not like he made a single horrible decision.... he set out to and was successful at torturing and abusing animals and he derived pleasure from it.... THAT is something that does not change just because he said he is sorry..... and there are those operative words: "that we know of."

I have never claimed to be perfect and am in fact, far from it.... but I would never even consider brutalizing creatures the way he and so many others have.... do you think a pedophile can change?? I don't and I don't believe someone who derives pleasure from the pain and suffering of defenseless creatures can either... they may never perform the act again, but the desire is still there and they should never be trusted around their targeted victims again for the rest of their lives.... and there is something inherently WRONG with them to even HAVE that desire..... and they certainly do not deserve reward and recognition for talents in entertainment.....

I don't even know who Chipper Jones or Jared Allen are.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Note to self: Don't respond. It's not worth it.

good advice.....

Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,694,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Puddles♥ View Post
"Since his release" is the part I have a problem with.
Understood, but there is nothing you or I can do about it. He did his time. He deserves to be left alone unless he does something else.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,005,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You dare to compare abuse to legal hunting????

Sad......
Because it's legal, that justifies it? It's still harming animals. What's the difference? And yes I am talking about people who do it for recreational purposes.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,224,103 times
Quote:
Because it's legal, that justifies it? It's still harming animals. What's the difference? And yes I am talking about people who do it for recreational purposes.
Instead of throwing up everything you can think of (but the kitchen sink) why don't you stick to the issue at hand?. If you want to defend the felon then do so but quit being insulting by lumping everyone that disagrees with you together in the "walk on water" camp.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,212,101 times
Quote:
Or he can be an example of what not to do. I don't necessarily believe that the only people who can positively influence kids are ones who have lived a "straight & narrow" life. Sometimes, kids need to see what consequences are like and what happens when you don't do the right things. The fact that this man has turned his life around after some of the mistakes he has made, could be inspirational to anyone. I certainly wouldn't have picked him as my first option, but I really think people disagree with this because there are a lot of people who still harbor resentment towards him.
Then he can go to a lower profile venue like a local community center in an inner city area to speak to some disadvantaged and/or troubled youth. This is a major keynote event for the city of Raleigh, so they have better choices. If it is controversial here in this small forum, just think what the news media will do with it as speech day gets closer. I don't know how it will help the city. I can imagine the regional humane society and SPCA are not too thrilled. They are rolling the dice with that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events