Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
*Sigh* Ban, ban, ban. Coming again from the left. Because that's where it always comes from.
Yep. The right never wants to ban anything, unless it's happening in your bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM

508 posts, read 663,183 times
Paper containers cause environmental problems as well, including deforestation and toxic chemicals used to turn wood pulp based paper products white.

Of course once we can grow hemp for fiber, we can at least stop worrying about cutting down trees to make paper. Hemp fiber makes a much higher quality paper anyway. It's what the Declaration of Independence is printed on.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
*Sigh* Ban, ban, ban. Coming again from the left. Because that's where it always comes from.
*Sigh* Me, me, me. Coming again from the right. Because that's where it always comes from.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yep. The right never wants to ban anything, unless it's happening in your bedroom.

You are sooooooo right!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,633 times
It's a strange thing to me that SF is trying (and Concord, Mass already did) to ban water bottles yet there is no mention of them banning the umpteen other kinds of drinks sold in plastic bottles. I've heard all the numbers on how many water bottles end up in the wrong places but they rarely give the numbers for other plastic bottles. I find it hard to believe they are disproportionate.

As for the ban, I won't be visiting any place that bans them. I drink water 99% of the time. I have since childhood. The day they started selling bottled water was a happy, happy day for me because it meant I could leave my house and not have to make sure I was had a thermos or three on me. I dreaded road trips pre-bottled water.

And at home, tap water is not always safe to drink for everyone. Mine is questionable enough (and tastes terrible) that I use a water delivery company for drinking water. As long as people are drinking sodas in bottles, I'm keeping my water thanks.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Paper containers cause environmental problems as well, including deforestation and toxic chemicals used to turn wood pulp based paper products white.

Of course once we can grow hemp for fiber, we can at least stop worrying about cutting down trees to make paper. Hemp fiber makes a much higher quality paper anyway. It's what the Declaration of Independence is printed on.

It doesn't have to mean deforestation,how about using more bamboo,and as you said... hemp fiber.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-20-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,989 times
how very interesting

Old 03-20-2014, 04:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Americans love the notion of purchased virtue and much of the appeal of the Green thing is purchasing virtue; virtue as a commodity, a consumer product. The new Puritans, God's elect out to parade their virtue, they would've felt at home in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Concord, Mass., the first US city to ban sale of plastic water bottles - U.S. News

We did it first. Personally I think it's kind of dumb. They already get recycled. What kind of containers can people use? Go back to glass? I don't use store bought water anyway.
Your right as i work in concord. The whole green movement is outta control. Most of the bottles are recycled
from any homeowner who follows the rules with their garbage collectors. We put the plastic in the recycle bin..

Banning bottled water!! What the hell are people gonna drink in places like concord, a major tourist destination..sounds great, deprive people of the most basic need. WATER....It's insane, and this is just the
beginning of the insanity..

Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,454 times
I trust that sales of bottled water does not reach beyond the city properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events