Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,455,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
As much as I despise Wal-mart, they could have just laid him off or fired him for some made-up charge, which is the normal course of action when a tool breaks - I mean, an employee is recovering from illness or injury.
The state they are in makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM

19,930 posts, read 12,227,726 times
Not to mention they gave him a chair to SIT in. He doesn't even have to stand for 7 hours. There are thousands of unemployed people who would gladly trade with him.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 AM

8,221 posts, read 7,592,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The usual FOX embellishments.
That's kind of a dumb thing to say and you are guilty yourself of embellishing. The story is from a local Fox affiliate, not the national Fox News.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,804,532 times
Very generous of Wal-Mart to create a light duty position so he could keep his paycheck.

Ungrateful bum looks like a SEIU plant to me.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,088,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Very generous of Wal-Mart to create a light duty position so he could keep his paycheck.

Ungrateful bum looks like a SEIU plant to me.
Yep...he looks like your typical union sloth.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,778,995 times
Had he been in a union, he probably would have gotten hemmorrhoids from sitting in the break room playing cards all day. Light duty means just that - you're still doing something useful. If he was sitting on his hind end all day instead of checking on the bathrooms and keeping them clean, he wasn't doing his duty.

Cleaning bathrooms in a retail establishment sucks. I've seen the aftermath when a customer managed to smear feces all over the wall. How bad is your aim that that is a problem? Still, someone has to clean it up and it's going to be an employee.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,533,467 times
The problem with this story is the implications trying to be made arent on the same page as the reality of the situation, i think Walmart could have easily sent this guy home even after his whining and belly aching, the guy wasnt forced to do anything he could have said i dont do bathrooms and gone home,
What did the guy expect Walmart to do with an employee who cant work, i think Walmart is being more than generous with this guy particularly as Pennsylvania is an at will to work state.
Quote:
Understanding Pennsylvania “At Will” Employment

In Pennsylvania, all employees are considered to be “at-will” employees unless they have a contract specifying a certain length of time for employment. This means that an employer in Pennsylvania can dismiss an “at will” employee for any reason, at any time, without prior notice, as long as they do not violate public policy or state and federal statutes. .

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,509,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yeah. That's exactly what Fox said. Funny, you must have heard it somewhere. Like maybe the link to Fox that the OP posted? Or maybe you missed the part about Fox reporting what the man himself and his relative said?

Jeez! It really is far, far, far worse than I thought.

Here....hope this helps:

Now, Roger's family is upset, saying he's being treated unfairly due to a recent injury.
Walmart claims this is normal and that they always have a bathroom monitor.
Roger's brother, Carl Digilormo, says he was hurt on the job at Walmart and was on light duty until he recovers from a shoulder injury, so instead of lighting heavy boxes, Walmart had him monitor the bathroom.
The store says Roger was asked to move from bathroom to bathroom to make sure they were neat and tidy.
Walmart also claims it doesn't have "bathroom attendants."
Roger's family says he's sick from "smelling feces and urine all day." Carl had to pause when speaking to cameras, growing upset as he said, "I just ... sorry. I just can't believe that somebody would do that to somebody. It's just not, it's unreal to me." The family says that Roger, understandably, feels embarrassed and degraded.
According to KSN.com, Walmart spokeswoman Katie Cody says, "He was asked to move from restroom to restroom to monitor and make sure they were tidy, because that is an area of customer service that can always been improved." She also confirmed to KSN.com that Walmart stores do not actually have bathroom attendants. "We are certainly looking into it and making sure we can address this appropriately," she said.
Maybe he would prefer just getting laid off until he heals (and then maybe not get his job back)?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,227,824 times
Default Workers compensation

Not sure if this is relevant but employers have carried insured and injured employees on their premises rather than declare a W.C. related injury to keep their rates low.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,208,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
No Walmart fan but actually they need to be commended for providing the "injured" employee a chance to get a full paycheck. They probably could have told him there was no work available due to his limitations, sent him home, and based upon their Workers Comp policy paid him what ever percentage it calls for, normally 60-75%.
It also could be that they feel the "injury" is questionable and this employee would just prefer sitting at home dragging out the case as long as he could. By providing something for him to do, no matter how trivial, making him still get up and come to work could dramatically shorten his recovery time.
Agree with you there Gregg. The employee would be sitting at home flipping channels on the TV while getting paid wage loss benefits through the workers' compensation carrier. Wal Mart is self insured. They have their own workers' comp carrier. Workers' comp is not taxable income. But the Employee would loose something depending on what state he works in. Being on light duty also leads to "disability syndrome".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events