Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM

26,100 posts, read 22,297,853 times

Advertisements

What I didn't understand is why the family had the issue. At first, I thought maybe he had developmental disabilities and that is why the family stepped forward on his behalf but that doesn't seem to be the case. I doubt he has any permanent damage from smelling urine and feces. You got to wonder why if the smell was making him ill that he didn't approach his supervisor. I would have to agree with the poster that feels this is a trailer trash deal looking for $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,802,666 times
Default Walmart now punishing injured employees by making them sit in the bathroom for an entire shift.

Why did you make your headline plural:

Walmart now punishing injured employees by making them sit in the bathroom for an entire shift.

Since YOU claim there are more than one, either document more of them, or apologize to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
What I didn't understand is why the family had the issue. At first, I thought maybe he had developmental disabilities and that is why the family stepped forward on his behalf but that doesn't seem to be the case. ..... I would have to agree with the poster that feels this is a trailer trash deal looking for $$$$.
The family needed him to work clandestinely at the family business while soaking up unearned bucks from WC? They needed him for childcare, babysitting at home while watching TV? They speak for him?

This appears to be one unique case; don't let the OP's false and misleading headline muddy that fact.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM

50,482 posts, read 64,364,027 times
I don't have a dog in the fight, as far as Walmart is concerned. I'd be desperate for an item to ever shop there, because of the poor customer service.
However, I observed some people working there that really shook me, and gave me pause. I was a retail rep for a product that is carried in Walmart, so had to cover about 9 of them every few weeks. At one of them, there is a darling old lady, and I mean OLD, who greets people coming and going. It broke my heart how many people blew past her, without speaking, but some people gave her a hug and spoke to her as they passed. I was glad Walmart gave her a job.

At another store, there was a young woman in a wheelchair. She obviously had multiple handicaps, including no speech. As customers passed by, she pushed a button with a recorded greeting. It was one of the saddest things I ever saw, but perhaps Walmart is paying her, too, or at least they are letting her be there for some mental stimulation.

There is a lot to complain about at Walmart, but they give a lot of people jobs who might not otherwise have them. Bad jobs, maybe, but if they could do better, they would.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,343,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight, as far as Walmart is concerned. I'd be desperate for an item to ever shop there, because of the poor customer service.
However, I observed some people working there that really shook me, and gave me pause. I was a retail rep for a product that is carried in Walmart, so had to cover about 9 of them every few weeks. At one of them, there is a darling old lady, and I mean OLD, who greets people coming and going. It broke my heart how many people blew past her, without speaking, but some people gave her a hug and spoke to her as they passed. I was glad Walmart gave her a job.

At another store, there was a young woman in a wheelchair. She obviously had multiple handicaps, including no speech. As customers passed by, she pushed a button with a recorded greeting. It was one of the saddest things I ever saw, but perhaps Walmart is paying her, too, or at least they are letting her be there for some mental stimulation.

There is a lot to complain about at Walmart, but they give a lot of people jobs who might not otherwise have them. Bad jobs, maybe, but if they could do better, they would.

this is kind of you to point out. it is so easy for people to jump on a bandwagon of bad bad corporate big box business.

Walmart does employ some of the sweetest elderly.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,028,106 times
Something that people are mentioning is Workers Compensation. The article doesn't say whether or not his shoulder injury happened while on the job. For all we know, he went in with a doctors note saying that he can't lift heavy objects, so the store found something for him to do instead of sending him home. The article is missing a lot of details. For instance, it says that he was instructed to rotate through the different bathrooms and clean them as needed, yet it is implied that he sat in a chair in the same bathroom for 7 hours. Which was it?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It was one of the saddest things I ever saw, but perhaps Walmart is paying her, too, or at least they are letting her be there for some mental stimulation.
I'm pretty sure she is getting at least minimum wage.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something that people are mentioning is Workers Compensation. The article doesn't say whether or not his shoulder injury happened while on the job. For all we know, he went in with a doctors note saying that he can't lift heavy objects, so the store found something for him to do instead of sending him home.

Good point.
Since it's a non-union job, maybe the overseer injured him cracking the whip.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,431,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something that people are mentioning is Workers Compensation. The article doesn't say whether or not his shoulder injury happened while on the job. For all we know, he went in with a doctors note saying that he can't lift heavy objects, so the store found something for him to do instead of sending him home. The article is missing a lot of details. For instance, it says that he was instructed to rotate through the different bathrooms and clean them as needed, yet it is implied that he sat in a chair in the same bathroom for 7 hours. Which was it?
Read it again.....it said he was hurt on the job.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,480,826 times
The title should have read,=
"A compassionate Walmart in PA asked a returning injured employee to work monitoring the bathrooms instead of sending him home".

Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Are you kidding??? That'd be a dream day for my moronic coworkers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events