Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe they can FIRE them because they are using their employer\',s wages to buy contracpetives. As Justice Scalia said, which is CATHOLIC teaching, facilitating in immoral practices in preventing conception, "abortifacient" or not, is immoral and a "grave sin".

DECLARE you religion, companies. Put up a cross on your building so women can choose not only your employment, but also patronize your business, and give THEIR money, for your PROFITS. Not fair?????

I do not work for Chik Fil A or Barilla Pasta. I do not agree with their RELIGIOUS views on gays either. I will not darken the doorway of a Chik Fil A. I threw in the garbage every box of Barilla pasta I had. I have that RIGHT as a Consumer. Ditto for Hobby Lobby, Domino's, Papa John's, etc., etc.

While their poor employees are under their religious thumbs, the CONSUMER certainly ISN'T. Again, tell me you are a religious company so I can refuse your services and products.

BTW, there are lists going up right now on the Net on other religious for profit companies opposing contraceptive coverage. I bookmarked that one. Last I looked it is up to 300 companies bringing suit on the contraceptive mandate. Thank you, as a consumer, I have that right to know, and refuse my business to.

And if they fired them then the employees would have a basis to sue as this would be trying to force their beliefs on their employees. But this is not what they are doing. Their employees are perfectly capable of taking their paychecks and providing themselves with whatever drugs they need. Their rights are not being infringed upon as they don't have to stick with their insurance plan AND they have every right to keep the plan and go out and buy whatever isn't covered so their rights are not being taken away, Yet others want to infringe upon the owners rights...kind of hypocritical.

Also You have every right to frequent or not frequent whatever store you want but I highly doubt you will make much of an impact. Chic fil a certainly didn't take a hurting and even had some of its best selling days. A lot of times boycotting does nothing but get other people who actually support the businesses' views to come out in big numbers as was the case with Chic fil a. But by all means boycott if you feel the need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Women don't just use birth control for sex though.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
No, we don't. I used it in high school to manage cramps. Without taking BC I usually had to leave school once a month because I was in too much pain.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
They offer other bc options.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
They aren't dictating anyone's medical affairs, unless I missed the part where they said if they find out that any such woman has taken those pills then they will be fired. Their employees are perfectly capable to do what I did when one of my previous jobs cut out vision insurance (which I need much more than someone needs some bc pills).....go work somewhere else.
By specifying what a plan can and cannot contain, that is exactly what they are doing.

That's exactly what they should do - cut out the entire benefit (and lose the write off). They won't do that because of the mass exodus that would ensue and the revenue that would be lost. By piecemealing, they keep the business benefit of providing insurance while dictating what it can and cannot be used for. Sorry, but that isn't right in the slightest as it purposefully dictates the provision of ordinary medical treatment.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
By specifying what a plan can and cannot contain, that is exactly what they are doing.

That's exactly what they should do - cut out the entire benefit (and lose the write off). They won't do that because of the mass exodus that would ensue and the revenue that would be lost. By piecemealing, they keep the business benefit of providing insurance while dictating what it can and cannot be used for. Sorry, but that isn't right in the slightest as it purposefully dictates the provision of ordinary medical treatment.

Oh okay well what about my dental coverage at one job that cut out orthodontic care so I had to pay for braces out of pocket? Guess my job was dictating my affairs too. And who is forcing them to take that plan?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM

117 posts, read 193,548 times
It's going to be interesting when people realize it's not just christians and christian companies who have freedom of religion and choices such as this. I've heard some people talk about groups opposed to blood transfusions and children's vaccines.
We'll see how popular this decision is then.

We need a single payer system like Medicare for all, it'll be that way one day, until then it's gonna be a huge mess. Sure glad i have my own private insurance and work for a firm owned by people wanting to make money and not worrying about anyone's religion.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofjjj View Post
It's going to be interesting when people realize it's not just christians and christian companies who have freedom of religion and choices such as this. I've heard some people talk about groups opposed to blood transfusions and children's vaccines.
We'll see how popular this decision is then.

We need a single payer system like Medicare for all, it'll be that way one day, until then it's gonna be a huge mess. Sure glad i have my own private insurance and work for a firm owned by people wanting to make money and not worrying about anyone's religion.

I would still support it because I don't think the government should be telling companies what they should or should not offer its employees OR customers. That is why there are multiple businesses...so we can choose the one that suits us best.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
Another "Christian" organization hiding behind biblical values to disguise their sexism and misogyny.

No thanks. I'll be shopping elsewhere now. I hope they go bankrupt.
Women are pretty mad if social media is any indication. I saw some die-hard Obama haters still vowing to boycott Hobby Lobby because they are pi$$ed off.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
I have not read all 10 pages so if this has been said already, sorry.

My Aztec bosses say now they will only allow us to have med coverage that keeps our hearts healthy and all the rest of the coverage must be dropped. Makes as much sense. Slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events