Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,692,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Are you required by law or indentured servitude to remain in that position or do you have the option of looking for a position that will better fulfill your needs as far as healthcare coverage is concerned?

If you're not happy with what your employer is offering you, there's a lot more fish in the sea to chase after.
It's the only hospital in town, so it basically serves as the city's public hospital while pushing its Catholic principles on them. Also not sure why I should have to quit and commute 30-40 minutes to a hospital in another city simply because of this provision, by a hospital which isn't even affiliated with the church.

Last edited by Natural510; 06-30-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,188,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They pay me, I use that money to pay for insurance and gas. So technically yes they pay for for my insurance and gas
I must say, that is probably the most idiotic thing I've read this month. You do realize that they pay for services rendered, do you not? You work, they pay. It's not charity. And, if you're going to base it on that silly premise, isn't it technically the people who pay for the company's services that are providing for you? How about the people who pay them? Do they not count? What if it was the government who paid them? Egads! You're now technically a walking entitlement payout!!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,188,589 times
Quote:
"Each fund's portfolio consists of at least dozens if not hundreds of different holdings."

/talking point.
So what? The point is that they're ok with profiting from contraceptive manufacturers. Clearly, not all mutual funds contain them. Therefore, they should be true to their word and offer only the funds which do not capitalize on them.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,695,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The real question is, who are they to tell their workforce how to conduct their own lives outside of the workplace?

How are they doing that exactly?

Quote:

It doesn't. What it does have is the responsibility to uphold the worker's right to equal and fair treatment. It also has the responsibility to uphold the worker's right to not be beaten over the head with the company's God stick. This is a for-profit business and workplace we are talking about. It's not a church.

Well, you're right, it is a private, for-profit business and as long as they aren't violating any laws, you have nothing to say about it outside of not patronizing the business. If I have a private business and I want to run it with religious tenets in mind, that is my choice to do so.

Once again, your mentality seems to be that the business owner is working for the employee and not the other way around. If I want to open a business centered around my religious beliefs or non-beliefs, that is my decision. If someone else disagrees, they are more than welcome to go elsewhere. If my decisions are bad, then I will go out of business, simple as that. If someone thinks that my business model is faulty, they can go ahead and start one of their own.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's the only hospital in town, so it basically serves as the city's public hospital while pushing its Catholic principles on them.

Maybe a private clinic? Relocate to another venue more tolerant of your beliefs?

Old 06-30-2014, 04:25 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,692,694 times
Quote:
Maybe a private clinic? Relocate to another venue more tolerant of your beliefs?
But why should I have to do that? I don't work for the Catholic Church, I work for a nonprofit hospital owned by a "Catholic" umbrella company. They don't need to be more tolerant of my beliefs, they need to not force their beliefs down their employees' throats.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
But why should I have to do that? I don't work for the Catholic Church, I work for a nonprofit hospital owned by a "Catholic" umbrella company. They don't need to be more tolerant of my beliefs, they need to not force their beliefs down their employees' throats.

Have they instructed you to go to church? Read the Bible? I don't know how they are "forcing their beliefs down your throat."

They aren't asking you to believe in anything they just chose to not take part in something which is against their own beliefs. You aren't required to believe or not believe one way or the other.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM

287 posts, read 507,212 times
Quote:
Have they instructed you to go to church? Read the Bible? I don't know how they are "forcing their beliefs down your throat."

They aren't asking you to believe in anything they just chose to not take part in something which is against their own beliefs. You aren't required to believe or not believe one way or the other.
I think his point was that because they're Catholic-run and the owners have certain beliefs, those beliefs trickle down to everyone, and they're preventing his wife from receiving what she needs in a "reasonable" manner. Your suggestion of moving to a more tolerant area is a good one, but honestly, I don't think picking up and moving just to get different medical care is reasonable or even possible for a good number of people. In my ideal world, public institutions like these hospitals wouldn't be allowed to have an official religious affiliation, but I'm not about to stomp on the 1st Amendment.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM

10,257 posts, read 6,346,458 times
Default Rape Victims and only Catholic Hospital in Town

Quote:
Non-sectairan hospital was bought out by Catholic Hospital. Local people fought this to no avail, BUT what were the consequences of this forced religion on a town? Police took RAPE VICTIMS to a State Hospital 15 miles away because the Catholic Hospital would not give them Morning After Pills. Even Law Enforcement recognized the crime VICTIMS need a choice in their health care.

This hospital was even complaining because their MATERNITY WARD was not being filled up. ROLF. Maybe that was because MOTHERS giving birth, and didn't want MORE children, knew they could not have their tubes tied in this Catholic Hospital?

Well, you want to impose your religion on others, then you better be prepared when people fight and circumvent you on this.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 PM

10,257 posts, read 6,346,458 times
Quote:

y

As a FORMER Catholic, I would NEVER work for a Catholic organization, or a private Catholic employer. Bye, bye. Key there is tell me what YOUR religion is, so I can make that CHOICE to not work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events