Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM

73 posts, read 123,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
His hands are tied at this point. As Oildog pointed out - mob justice. This is basically no different than a few million angry people swarming and demanding justice - aside from all out war and bloodshed, the only option is appeasing them. Perhaps some of our citizens feel like soldiers without a war and need issues to unite them in making change (change gives them a war to fight). If a tenth of this energy were used toward actual problems in the country, we'd be a whole lot better off. However, doing the dirty work doesn't have the sex appeal or get the recognition of joining in the current "hot issue". Your thousands of Facebook and Twitter friends can't see the "depths of your emotion" when you quietly volunteer to mentor some urban youth. We now have millions competing to be the biggest bleeding heart and get the most pats on the back.

Uhm its no different, except in that its totally different. A crowd , mob, Army requires unity and cohesiveness and a cause, but perhaps the most important thing is it requires people shed their "E" balls and show their real selves for a cause bigger than themselves or their ostentatious altruism.

But yeah the "public" of armchair activists got ole Adrien...Boy o boy oh boy don't let the scorn of the blogger come down on you...no sir a lesbian (or un-decided sexually confuses aka just cannot get laid, but has lots of cats) and overweight girl or even the slightly bearded version of the hipster with egalitarianism oozing through his veins and one hell of a buzz from his latte will slay you with mean words and accusations of a whole alphabet listing of labels.

It's easy to rage against the same exact machine that 90% of the other blogger, hipster, gender neutral ass hats are against and usually that is a "machine" that doesn't or cannot fight back. Real tough guys.

Anyhow, Adrien Peterson...I mean he hit his kid. I do not believe in severe child abuse, but a pop on the ass won't kill you. If more of todays kids had a dad around who gave a fawk enough to teach them about life (including the occasional pop on the ass) we wouldn't have as many of these little turds playing the knock out game and smoking drugs on video for their instagram.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM

672 posts, read 789,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Biscuits View Post
Uhm its no different, except in that its totally different. A crowd , mob, Army requires unity and cohesiveness and a cause, but perhaps the most important thing is it requires people shed their "E" balls and show their real selves for a cause bigger than themselves or their ostentatious altruism.

But yeah the "public" of armchair activists got ole Adrien...Boy o boy oh boy don't let the scorn of the blogger come down on you...no sir a lesbian (or un-decided sexually confuses aka just cannot get laid, but has lots of cats) and overweight girl or even the slightly bearded version of the hipster with egalitarianism oozing through his veins and one hell of a buzz from his latte will slay you with mean words and accusations of a whole alphabet listing of labels.

It's easy to rage against the same exact machine that 90% of the other blogger, hipster, gender neutral ass hats are against and usually that is a "machine" that doesn't or cannot fight back. Real tough guys.

Anyhow, Adrien Peterson...I mean he hit his kid. I do not believe in severe child abuse, but a pop on the ass won't kill you. If more of todays kids had a dad around who gave a fawk enough to teach them about life (including the occasional pop on the ass) we wouldn't have as many of these little turds playing the knock out game and smoking drugs on video for their instagram.
Perhaps if your parents hadn't beaten you about the head, you would be able to piece together a cohesive, comprehensive and comprehensible sentence without insulting those who don't agree with you by deciding that they are of some political bent or sexual orientation that you despise.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I can't believe actual adults use this type of reasoning.
And I can't believe you are still posting the same tired, WRONG, arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's very clear that you have your "opinions" on corporal punishment and will not even consider differing opinions or studies.
Thankfully those that hold opinions like yours do not have control (at this point) and probably (hopefully) never will.
Nobody on here or anywhere else for that matter is an expert in what's best for every single child, that's not possible given the differences in each and every one. All one can reasonably do is paint with broad strokes and give generalities.

It's the ones that try to stuff all kids in one small box, pounding their chest screaming they are the only ones that are right that scare me the most.
I do wonder how many of these "so called" experts both on here and in the reports even have children of their own and of those that do have children how productive those children are?
Ooh, ooh, me! Three sons, raised without any corporal punishment, one with a Master's degree, another pursuing a PhD, and the third successfully graduated college with a dual degree and working. Anything else?

But I agree, different kids need different methods. None of them needs abuse.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Wrong about what?

Quote:
None of them needs abuse.
And as of now none of the parents need you definining abuse.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
It was defined in one of the links I provided yesterday. Try reading.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Ooh, ooh, me! Three sons, raised without any corporal punishment, one with a Master's degree, another pursuing a PhD, and the third successfully graduated college with a dual degree and working. Anything else?

But I agree, different kids need different methods. None of them needs abuse.
Which brings us back to the definition of "abuse" right?

My son is about to graduate college as well and up to the age of about 7 would not respond to anything less than corporal punishment (swats to rear via bare hand). Once he started responding to words the butt tanning stopped.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
All you loving parents posting about how society is going downhill because other parents won't discipline their children with corporal punishment - tell me why cities like Chicago and Detroit have thousands and thousands of households where a belt or switch was taken to the child as they were growing up, and they are now 13, 14, and up, out on the street in gangs, killing each other, playing the knock out "game", and not respecting life in any fashion. Why do so many of those kids grow up to be domestic abusers?

So much for "loving" your child by being abusive and physically hurting them. Obviously, that isn't as effective as you would all like to have us believe.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It was defined in one of the links I provided yesterday. Try reading.
What was defined?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All you loving parents posting about how society is going downhill because other parents won't discipline their children with corporal punishment - tell me why cities like Chicago and Detroit have thousands and thousands of households where a belt or switch was taken to the child as they were growing up, and they are now 13, 14, and up, out on the street in gangs, killing each other, playing the knock out "game", and not respecting life in any fashion. Why do so many of those kids grow up to be domestic abusers?
Poverty, no jobs, poor role models, no fathers, poor schools, high crime, etc. Trying to tie it all the spanking is nonsensical at best.

You should start a campaign called "Time Out In The Ghetto" - maybe you really can fix all their problems.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I looked up child abuse laws (at least from what was on the web) and posted this a few days ago...

For Texas...

//www.city-data.com/forum/36518487-post367.html

Here is the Texas definition of child abuse from the Attorney General page....
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...ldabuse1.shtml

Here is a part of it...

The law specifically excludes “reasonable” discipline by the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator; corporal punishment is not in itself abusive under the law. An act or omission is abusive only if “observable and material impairment” occurs as a result, or if it causes “substantial harm,” or exposes the child to risk of substantial harm.

The key word is observable.... and below it lists many things which may or may not be abuse....
Here is one section...

Distinctive marks and lacerations

An adult human’s bite mark can often be identified by its size, together with its distinctive shape. Welts in various linear patterns result from whipping with a strap, ruler, or belt; belt buckles may cause unusual repeated patterns of laceration. Where has occurred, frequent and excessive punishment may be suspected. Marks circling the wrists may indicate that a child has been tied up, and marks on the sides of the mouth may result from the use of a gag.

Minnesota is a bit clearer and why the doctors reported it...

//www.city-data.com/forum/36517858-post356.html

Since this was noted by doctors in Minnesota....mandatory reporters are required to contact authorities of suspected child abuse cases. Here is the current Minnesota statue in regards to Physical abuse:

A.
Physical Abuse
[M.S.
626.556, subd. 2 (g) (1)(10)]
1. Physical abuse means any non-accidental physical injury,
2. mental injury,
3. or threatened injury,
4. inflicted by a person responsible for a child’s care.
Physical abuse also includes injuries that cannot reasonably be explained by
a child’s history of injuries.

2. Physical abuse does not include reasonable and moderate physical discipline of a
child by a parent or guardian which does not result in injury.

---
Now here is what is defined as physical abuse in the state of Minnesota:
A physical injury to a child, other than by accidental means, includes, but is not limited to:
bruises, scratches, lacerations, abrasions, swelling, burns, as well as more serious injuries causing extensive tissue damage. The definition of physical injury also includes internal injuries diagnosed by a physician.

-----

So this is what the two states have on the books in regards to determining what is physical abuse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events