Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times

Advertisements

How many of us remember anything from when we were 4 years old? What lesson exactly was he trying to teach? Go to jail Adrian! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:08 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Yet another couple who shouldn't be breeding...

Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Beating a child with a switch until he's bruised and bleeding isn't parenting or discipline. It's abuse. It's criminal. Thank God the authorities believe it, too. I cannot shake the image of a 6'1, 220 lb professional athlete beating a 4 year old child. Heartbreaking. I hope this one doesn't require a video.

Ya know, I used to wish the bad guys wore a sign identifying them as such. Turns out they do: jerseys.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Ya know, I used to wish the bad guys wore a sign identifying them as such. Turns out they do: jerseys.
I think it is blatantly unfair to paint an entire profession with a broad brush...I would venture to guess that the NFL as every profession has it's share of good guys, bad guys and run of the mill in between guys. However, that said, I think the league is starting to realize it can't continue to overlook bad (and in some cases criminal) behavior on the part of the very same employees they want to market as "heroes" (for lack of a better word). They can't have it both ways.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think it is blatantly unfair to paint an entire profession with a broad brush...I would venture to guess that the NFL as every profession has it's share of good guys, bad guys and run of the mill in between guys. However, that said, I think the league is starting to realize it can't continue to overlook bad (and in some cases criminal) behavior on the part of the very same employees they want to market as "heroes" (for lack of a better word). They can't have it both ways.
Perhaps, but the "good" guys and "run of the mill" and "in-between" guys are offering support to the bad guys so that makes them culpable, too, imo. This goes beyond one bad seed, imo. I think the culture these guys play in excuses this behavior or, at the very least, turns a blind eye to it.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Perhaps, but the "good" guys and "run of the mill" and "in-between" guys are offering support to the bad guys so that makes them culpable, too, imo. This goes beyond one bad seed, imo. I think the culture these guys play in excuses this behavior or, at the very least, turns a blind eye to it.
Maybe some are. And I'd agree if they are in fact supporting the bad behavior of their teammates they are culpable; if they are offering their support to a coworker and friend as they seek help to address their problems, I think that is what friends do. I've seen players speak against the behavior and support the sanctions imposed as well.

I'm certainly not saying it's one bad seed. But neither do I think everyone is guilty.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when one can actually be arrested for disciplining their child.
So if he felt that the child deserved a kick to the head, would you be okay with that?

Where's the line? What's a step too far? If breaking the skin and drawing blood isn't too far, what is? How do we determine the point where we go from a parent meting discipline to a criminal abusing a child?

Old 09-13-2014, 03:15 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Yes why is it some think taking a belt/stick to their kid hard enough to leave bruises, welts, blood is ok. Do you think it is ok to that to your wife/husband/other family member. I have never gotten in this debate the idea that striking a women is bad but somehow it can be justified in doing it to a child. A young 4 yr old child nonetheless, who is defenseless. What am I missing here?

Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Yes why is it some think taking a belt/stick to their kid hard enough to leave bruises, welts, blood is ok. Do you think it is ok to that to your wife/husband/other family member. I have never gotten in this debate the idea that striking a women is bad but somehow it can be justified in doing it to a child. A young 4 yr old child nonetheless, who is defenseless. What am I missing here?
Nothing. I see your post as spot on.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:30 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Sounds like a case of the boy deserved punishment and Peterson went too far.
Who are we to determine that since we have no idea what his kid is like, nor the punishment he should receive based on what works with the kid and what does not.
Remember some kids respond to the carrot, others to reason, and some need a good kick in the rear end.

When parents are prohibited from disciplining their own children, we have gone beyond the pale.

I received physical punishment with spankings via a belt, hand, and yes even a switch. It was my Godmother who used a switch on me.
Funny enough I look back now and realize that my on experiences were needed to help keep me in line and under control during my formative years. My uncle did the same to my cousins and every one of them turned out good as well.

Last edited by Vector1; 09-13-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events