Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM

646 posts, read 465,120 times

Advertisements

I am not opposed to spanking (if done right and calmly) but what happened here according to the news was clearly abuse. I am not sure that anybody who disagrees has a heart or any brains. It is sad.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:42 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
If he ends up doing time, he will be in with those who have vivid memories of childhood abuse.

He probably thinks he is quite the tough guy. Wait until he meets his roommates.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Just watched Charles Barkley defend this guy (and Rice, too) - he claims that this has been the norm in "every" black household in the South, and that he went through it, too. He disagrees with such discipline being labeled as "abuse" and "a beating".

Old 09-14-2014, 11:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Raised two boys who never had a hand laid on them. They got in trouble, but never got in serious trouble, got good grades, were always respectful, and are now thriving adults who have good jobs. When they needed disciplining, they were grounded, which they hated.

If you can't figure out how to discipline without physically hurting a child, maybe you shouldn't have kids.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Just watched Charles Barkley defend this guy (and Rice, too) - he claims that this has been the norm in "every" black household in the South, and that he went through it, too. He disagrees with such discipline being labeled as "abuse" and "a beating".
Interesting discussion on Sportscenter this morning. Tom Jackson and Cris Carter both said that while they experienced that growing up, that neither one has laid a hand on their child - and that type of punishment ended with them. They understood, as adults, that it was inappropriate. They both called what Adrian Peterson did abuse. They both unequivocally said that neither Peterson nor Rice should be playing and that the teams and the league needed to step up and get their house in order.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Any of the "I was beaten/whipped as a child, grew up fine, so this is PC nonsense" crowd care to comment on THIS article?

Anyone???

Adrian Peterson child abuse charge adds to NFL's off-field trouble - CBS News

Quote:
Nick Wright, host of CBS sports radio station 610 in Houston and one of the first reporters to break the Peterson story, said that he's read an account of what Peterson's 4-year-old son told police and described his story as "a heartbreaking story" on "CBS This Morning: Saturday."

"He mentions his reluctance to want to talk to police because 'Daddy Peterson might hit me,'" said Wright. "He references being hit in the face."

Wright also said that, according to the mother's statement to police, the boy told her that "Daddy has a whooping room."

"The child's story is truly, truly troubling, disturbing. I mean, sad is the best way I can put it," Wright said.
Clearly this switch incident was hardly an isolated incident, and in fact past abuse may have contributed to his violent behavior at such a young age.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Consider the source...

Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Nope but she did tell me to shut up or I would get some more

Her whipping room was wherever I decided to act up

Hell yes she did.

Yup 4-?? My mom (my very best friend to this day) would whip my ass now if I did something disrespectful. And guess what? I'd never even think to raise my hand up to her.

I guess that is why I am so respectful to others. I was scolded for reaching for things at the grocery store because we had very little money. It taught me very valuable lessons as an adult. I turned out polite, happy, smart, etc.

Seems white parents think discipline is awful for children. Maybe that is why there is always little caucasian kids running around being so unruly everywhere. I myself am bi-racial. The white side would let me get away with everything under the sun. Guess where I had my first run-in with the law at? Yup, away from my mother at my other families place for the summer. Why? Because I knew I wouldn't get disciplined. I actually remember thinking about that before I tried to steal a candy bar. I would've never even thought about that had I been with my mother. So my mothers whoopings would have saved you some tax dollars. Her kids, her rules. Don't like it? none of your business. That's the way I see it.

Whites beat the crap out of their kids like every other race and culture. There are savage beasts for parents everywhere.

Your mother beat you like a runaway slave.

Peterson beat his son like his name was Kunta Kinte refusing to answer to the name of Toby.

Sick, sick, sick individuals.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:24 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Honestly, most people from tougher neighborhoods/working class backgrounds got this sort of discipline; be it with a hand, belt or switch. Upper middle class white kids don't need this sort of punishment because if they screw up, they'll most likely get another chance (or 10) in life. "The Pride of Palestine" Adrian Peterson has the means to give his kids the good life, but he grew up in a different reality. A reality where one screw up for a poor black kid meant jail or death.

A man as strong as him could probably accomplish the same thing with a moderate smack on the butt with his hand. Also, the people talking about the child being only 4 years old...you generally can't reason with the average 4 year old. A 14-year old has a better understanding of actions and consequences. Little kids are generally far more short-sighted and only interested in themselves. This sort of discipline (albeit not as physically harsh) works more effectively for seriously misbehaving youngsters.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interesting discussion on Sportscenter this morning. Tom Jackson and Cris Carter both said that while they experienced that growing up, that neither one has laid a hand on their child - and that type of punishment ended with them. They understood, as adults, that it was inappropriate. They both called what Adrian Peterson did abuse. They both unequivocally said that neither Peterson nor Rice should be playing and that the teams and the league needed to step up and get their house in order.
Have you read about Cris Carter's son, Duron Carter. Extremely talented kid, but also a real knucklehead. Maybe he should have whipped him a little.

Kids (especially privileged kids/middle to upper middle class white kids) like that are awfully mouthy and disrespectful to their parents. I can't believe the things that come out of people's mouth to their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events