Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Exactly. I don't know when the two extremes became the only options.
That is very true. From reading and making comments on the various threads on this topic...the majority of people think what Adrian done crosses the line to abuse. But obviously as a parent (I have 3 young sons) discipline is very important. The issue is where is that line. That is where the differences are. In many states, spanking using one or two swats on the butt with an open hand and not hard enough to leave marks or bruises to get attention, is not considered abuse and probably the majority would agree. I personally dont feel comfortable doing even that, but I would never call that abuse if I saw it. In my case, raising your voice or using your voice in a firm manner is enough to get the idea across you as a parent are not kidding when you tell them something.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
B.S.

Whippings are physical.

I can guarantee those whippings will stop once the 4 y/o is strong enough to turn the tables on Adrian Peterson.

And yes, I have been whipped. Belts, wire fly swatters, switches... whatever is handy. The mental process is resentment, anger, fear, strong desire to get the heck of dodge...

As to parents now wanting to whip their children -- B.S. I've seen the look on a parent's face while whipping a child.

Parents who don't want to whip their children, don't whip them. Many children are raised without being whipped and they turn out just fine.

For example, this 4 y/o could have been told since he hasn't learned to take turns and shoved someone off a toy, then he will not be allowed to play on this toy for the rest of the day.
So you are basically claiming that all people that were whipped eventually turned the table and started whipping their parents? LOL. My parents could whip me now and the thought of hitting them would never cross my mind. The parent child relationship they established was one of respect for parents above everything in life.

Who said that parents that don't whip can't have children that turn out fine? There's more than one way to skin a cat. For a great number of parents, whipping works.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
So, tell me eddiehaskell, where and when does it cross the line into abuse?
I would assume that's when the parent is doing permanent physical damage or performing some sort of long lasting torture for their own pleasure. There's a huge divide between "tearin' that butt up" and knocking out teeth or breaking bones. There is also a huge difference between grounding a child and psychologically abusing them by locking them in their room for weeks with no human contact. Any form of punishment can used the wrong way.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My parents spanked me once. When my younger brother misbehaved, I proceeded to give him a swat on his tush. When my parents questioned it, I reported that I was older and he had done something bad. Physical discipline = power and control, not love and guidance. I also told them it hurt me more than it hurt him. I was 4. My parents never spanked again and, what do you know, my brother and I are now adults in our mid-20s and have NEVER been in trouble. Not even a speeding ticket. Not even a detention in high school.
Well parents do have power and control...that's basically part of the parenting role. There's a huge difference between basically being an absent parent that only sees a child when it's time to whip and a good parent that uses whipping as a small part of the discipline process.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I would assume that's when the parent is doing permanent physical damage or performing some sort of long lasting torture for their own pleasure.
Permanent physical damage? So it's only abuse if the child has permanent damage? So it's okay to whip their backs raw and leave open wounds, because they'll eventually heal up? It's okay to break their leg, because it'll heal? It's okay to kick them in the ribs, because it'll heal?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Nope, disagree strongly.

There is a very mean streak in some people. Just like those that commit crimes against adults. Using your theory when I was jumped and mugged by two thugs that tried to kill me they "truly" didn't want to do it.
I call BS.

My old man loved beating up my mother and I. It made him feel that he was the one in charge to feed his inflated ego. We did nothing to deserve that. This was the case here since Peterson admitted this is how he was taught right from wrong.
Therefore he wanted to do it.
Yes, some people have a mean streak. Some will beat a child and some will use psychological abuse.

Your analogy makes no sense. Huge difference between being physically assaulted by strangers as part of crime and a parent that loves their child giving them a whipping.

It seems that some people here were victims of abuse and assume that all whippings are done in the same manner. Like I said, huge difference between whipping a child and swinging fist around in a moment of rage.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Permanent physical damage? So it's only abuse if the child has permanent damage? So it's okay to whip their backs raw and leave open wounds, because they'll eventually heal up? It's okay to break their leg, because it'll heal? It's okay to kick them in the ribs, because it'll heal?

Open wounds would likely mean permanent scaring and potential infection which means the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Broken bones don't always heal properly and can possibly cause deformity and pain later in life...not to mention the months it takes to heal. A kick to the ribs could potentially result in a puctured lung or even death.

You've gotta to use common sense.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:52 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yes, some people have a mean streak. Some will beat a child and some will use psychological abuse.

Your analogy makes no sense. Huge difference between being physically assaulted by strangers as part of crime and a parent that loves their child giving them a whipping.

It seems that some people here were victims of abuse and assume that all whippings are done in the same manner. Like I said, huge difference between whipping a child and swinging fist around in a moment of rage.
You are the one "not making sense." Since you are to ignorant to realize that I'm bowing out any further discussion with you. A surprise attack is just that. Can't dumb that down any further.

In departing a parent who "loves his child" dosen't assault him like Mr. Peterson did to his kid. That goes for whippings too. Beating up on a defenseless child - can't relate to bullies like that at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You are the one "not making sense." Since you are to ignorant to realize that I'm bowing out any further discussion with you. A surprise attack is just that. Can't dumb that down any further.
I'm not sure what your point is here. How does a surprise attack by criminals relate to a parent whipping their child?

Quote:
In departing a parent who "loves his child" dosen't assault him like Mr. Peterson did to his kid. That goes for whippings too. Beating up on a defenseless child - can't relate to bullies like that at all.
This is completely your opinion. How do you prove that parents that whip don't love their children? Would you be willing to disrespect AP's child in front of him? My guess is that you may catch an adult whipping from someone that really doesn't love you.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I wasn't a victim of physical abuse. I'm just aware there is a better way to discipline than physically hurting a child. Comparing grounding a child so they cannot leave the house with whipping them is insane.

"For a great number of parents, whipping works."

Yes, and for a great number of men, knocking their women around works too, if you hear them tell it. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or the best way to communicate with another human being.

The fact that people don't want to learn there is a better way than physically hurting a child, is pretty sad, and quite frankly, disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.