Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Then how do you explain the fact that all 5 of us went to college, have good educations, are law abiding, good parents with smart highly achieving children, etc., etc. ?
I call that being productive members of society.

`
They will call your situation an anomaly and that in most cases children who have been disciplined physically grow up either to be criminals, violent citizens, or unproductive bullies.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

I hope he does major jail time. He's a savage just like Ray Rice is.
Read more:
He will do no jail time. He was cleared by the first grand jury to examine the case and the second review by another grand jury smells of inappropriate action by the prosecutor. The Texas Penal Code is clear that Peterson broke no laws. It permits a parent or guardian to use such force that they reasonably believe is called for in disciplining their child.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Indeed they are.

I wish more people would realize what a brutal and violent sport this as well as the character of some of these guys they are cheering for. Then again violent thirsty Americans do not care. That's the reason football is the #1 sport in America.

The NFL doesn't care who they employ, that's clearly obvious. Hopefully the justice system will put Peterson away long enough that he will no longer have this high paying career.
He appears to have violated no law in Texas:

From Texas Penal Code
Sec 9.61 PARENT-CHILD (a) The use of force, but not deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified: (1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
They will call your situation an anomaly and that in most cases children who have been disciplined physically grow up either to be criminals, violent citizens, or unproductive bullies.
My mama used a switch on me. I turned out just fine.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Parents, teach your children well strictly and lovingly.

The do-nothing bad parenting approach that produces angry children running around does not work.
You think beating a four year old with a tree branch until they have bloody welts all over their body for days is "teaching your children lovingly?"

That is seriously deranged. I hope to God you have nothing whatsoever to do with kids.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
While I can agree that there is a huge difference between discipline & child abuse, you illustrate how one persons view differs widely from another. For instance there are people who think any corporal punishment is child abuse hence the reason few schools will paddle kids now days. Heck I went to a school that not only paddled kids, but even had a bull whip hanging in the principles office. Now I never heard of anyone getting whipped, but the fear was always there.
I certainly got paddled along with a good amount of other kids, and I also had to hold a bar of soap in my mouth to "wash it out". Needless to say Catholic schools are a different breed, but by and large the discipline and education winds up turning out productive members of society.
Spanking is one thing. Beating a four year-old with a tree branch until they have bloody welts days later is child abuse. It is that simple. And if they did that to you, they were wrong. And if you do that to your kids, you are wrong.

Quote:
As in the aforementioned response, what you call child abuse, others call parenting.
So where do you draw the line? Do you like to beat your kids in the mouth until they spit out blood and teeth? Electric shock therapy? Take a wrench and beat them in the head until they stop moving?

Look, most reasonable people can tell that if you're leaving marks of bodily damage on your kid, then you're going too far. Morons who shouldn't have had kids in the first place call that **** "parenting."

Quote:
If my parents or Godparents had been thrown in jail for the way I was disciplined, how would that have helped me. I
I did, too. I was disciplined if I messed up, and I feared and respected my father. And he NEVER beat me with any objects, and he NEVER left me covered with bloody wounds.

Quote:
Then how do you explain the fact that all 5 of us went to college, have good educations, are law abiding, good parents with smart highly achieving children, etc., etc. ?
I call that being productive members of society.
I call that apples and oranges. Just because you're financially successful doesn't make you a good person or a decent parent. You can have a college degree and a job and still be a brutal child abuser.

Seriously, it is highly deranged to defend the beating of a four year old to the point of wounds all over their body as "parenting."

Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
They unfortunately tend to grow up to be child abusers, like their parents were. Just because you grew up to be "productive" does NOT justify abuse you suffered at the hands of your parents.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
My mama used a switch on me. I turned out just fine.
Did you spend days with bloody wounds, bruises, welts all over your body?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:44 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
EXCLUSIVE Details On Adrian Peterson Indictment Charges « CBS Houston

As per usual, the 'apologists' are out in force defending this 'man,' confusing physical abuse of a child with 'spanking' or what their ma and pa did to them as kids.

Read the article to read more of this sick individual.

Also, it was very shady when his 2 year old son brutally died at the hands of his ex's boyfriend last year. At first, everyone was shocked and all sad for him. Then it was revealed that Peterson didn't even know this son existed, had absolutely no contact with the boy. Sure, it's sad to see ANY young child brutally murdered in that heinous manner, but still.
Yeah, I was going to say what exactly are we talking here... sounds like he went a little bit more than a little bit overboard and into territory that was very clearly child abuse. The series of alleged text messages are even more troubling.

Quote:
From Texas Penal Code
Sec 9.61 PARENT-CHILD (a) The use of force, but not deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified: (1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.
Seems like the only grand jury found otherwise. They assuredly saw the evidence of the results which the armchairs here, including myself, have not.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Did your mother shove leaves in your mouth to muffle your screams?

Did your mother have a "whipping room" with all of her torture devices to use on you?

Did your mother break the skin to where most of your wounds were bloody?

Were you also 4 years old when this happened?
Nope but she did tell me to shut up or I would get some more

Her whipping room was wherever I decided to act up

Hell yes she did.

Yup 4-?? My mom (my very best friend to this day) would whip my ass now if I did something disrespectful. And guess what? I'd never even think to raise my hand up to her.

I guess that is why I am so respectful to others. I was scolded for reaching for things at the grocery store because we had very little money. It taught me very valuable lessons as an adult. I turned out polite, happy, smart, etc.

Seems white parents think discipline is awful for children. Maybe that is why there is always little caucasian kids running around being so unruly everywhere. I myself am bi-racial. The white side would let me get away with everything under the sun. Guess where I had my first run-in with the law at? Yup, away from my mother at my other families place for the summer. Why? Because I knew I wouldn't get disciplined. I actually remember thinking about that before I tried to steal a candy bar. I would've never even thought about that had I been with my mother. So my mothers whoopings would have saved you some tax dollars. Her kids, her rules. Don't like it? none of your business. That's the way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events