Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times

Advertisements

I don't think this very large strong man should be striking this very young child. Children that age are easily injured. There are other ways to discipline. But that takes a little more brain power and patience than I'm sure he has. His 4 year old son may grow up fearing him but that is not the same as respect. Yet another great role model for children to emulate. These roided super rich athletes make me sick, and many barely literate, despite a free pass to college. And most give back nothing or care in the least about the troubled youth that look up to them.

Some have dismissed his being charged as political correctness, but that has nothing to do with it. These idiots saying in my day, there were things done in another time, that have turned out to not be so smart. I got a spanking maybe once or twice. My parents were smart they knew that no TV or other things I enjoyed, time playing outside, and extra chores were better deterrents than a good swat on the tail gate.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 AM

88 posts, read 107,056 times
I guess it just depends on parenting styles? My parents never raised a hand towards me or my siblings. All they had to do was raise their voice and call out my name and my feet were trembling.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Seems white parents think discipline is awful for children. Maybe that is why there is always little caucasian kids running around being so unruly everywhere. I myself am bi-racial. The white side would let me get away with everything under the sun. Guess where I had my first run-in with the law at? Yup, away from my mother at my other families place for the summer. Why? Because I knew I wouldn't get disciplined. I actually remember thinking about that before I tried to steal a candy bar. I would've never even thought about that had I been with my mother. So my mothers whoopings would have saved you some tax dollars. Her kids, her rules. Don't like it? none of your business. That's the way I see it.
Wow!

My goal in raising our children is that they behave appropriately whether I'm there or not.

As to the caucasian kids being the unruly ones everywhere, that's not been my observation.

For years, my job involved visits to high schools. The unruly ones were nearly always the black students. For example, I never once saw white teen girls knock someone to the floor and kick them. I saw black teen girls do this a number of times.

I've seen black teens threaten teachers. There are Youtube videos of black teens attacking teachers.

There's a recent video of a group of black teens running through a mall and attacking a white man. Is there a similar video around of the reverse?

How people raise their children is all of our business as we are all part of the same community.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
When I grew up you could beat your spouse and your children half to death and no one said a word. Our neighbor used to beat his kids unmercifully. Knocked one daughter's teeth out. Broke his son's collar bone. His kids came to school with bloody welts and black eyes all the time.

Everyone saw it. No one did a thing.

My Dad was a quiet man, but he finally had all he could stomach. They had one go round. Wouldn't you know, the neighbor turned out to be a coward, took a fall and wouldn't get up.

These days, the guy would have a social worker all up in his business if he wasn't actually in prison.

Times have changed since your granny could leave bloody welts on your bare legs and butt.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:13 AM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Parents, teach your children well strictly and lovingly.

The do-nothing bad parenting approach that produces angry children running around does not work.
Stating the obvious. Rubbish when quoting my posts.

You will not find any of my posts or even hints that parents should let their children run amuck. Don't even go there.

I'm against beating up a defenseless child. There is a big difference between that and taking a cell phone away. Did I really have to repeat that? What is it that you don't understand on my postion because I do not see how I can dumb it down for you even further.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 AM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
He will do no jail time. He was cleared by the first grand jury to examine the case and the second review by another grand jury smells of inappropriate action by the prosecutor. The Texas Penal Code is clear that Peterson broke no laws. It permits a parent or guardian to use such force that they reasonably believe is called for in disciplining their child.
Quote:
He appears to have violated no law in Texas:

From Texas Penal Code
Sec 9.61 PARENT-CHILD (a) The use of force, but not deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified: (1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.
You're wrong. But he is only facing 2 years max and pocket change (for him) fine:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/league-...8323--nfl.html

This is just so wrong.

It appears he could be on the field next Sunday or shortly thereafter and Vikings fans will cheer for him.
Count on that.

Last edited by John13; 09-14-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When I grew up you could beat your spouse and your children half to death and no one said a word. Our neighbor used to beat his kids unmercifully. Knocked one daughter's teeth out. Broke his son's collar bone. His kids came to school with bloody welts and black eyes all the time.

Everyone saw it. No one did a thing.

My Dad was a quiet man, but he finally had all he could stomach. They had one go round. Wouldn't you know, the neighbor turned out to be a coward, took a fall and wouldn't get up.

These days, the guy would have a social worker all up in his business if he wasn't actually in prison.

Times have changed since your granny could leave bloody welts on your bare legs and butt.
Thank goodness for social progress....

Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
He will do no jail time. He was cleared by the first grand jury to examine the case and the second review by another grand jury smells of inappropriate action by the prosecutor. The Texas Penal Code is clear that Peterson broke no laws. It permits a parent or guardian to use such force that they reasonably believe is called for in disciplining their child.
In the DA press conference held Saturday in Texas, the DA said the info about two grand juries was not true...there was only one. And a peer group of fellow Texans thought it crossed over state law and thus the indictement.

Details Of Montgomery County DA Press Conference Regarding Adrian Peterson - Daily Norseman

Details Of Montgomery County DA Press Conference Regarding Adrian Peterson

By Christopher Gates @DailyNorseman on Sep 13 2014, 1:22p 94
Mitch Stringer-USA TODAY Sports

The District Attorney's office in Montgomery County, Texas, has just finished a press conference about the Adrian Peterson matter. It was a pretty brief presser, conducted by Phil Grant of the DA's office, but there are a few pertinent facts that came out of it.

-First off, Grant said that the grand jury did not initially no-bill this case as was initially reported. The evidence was presented to one grand jury, and that grand jury chose to indict Adrian Peterson. That goes against what we heard last night, when we reported (via Pro Football Talk) that a first grand jury had chosen not to indict Peterson.

-Grant also seemed to be incredibly angry that pictures and grand jury testimony had been leaked, saying that Peterson and the state of Texas are entitled to a fair trial in this matter. So that person is getting fired, as soon as they figure out who it was. (If they're in the DA's office, obviously.)

-Grant concluded by saying that he assumed that Peterson's first court appearance would be in a couple of weeks (no exact date given), and that the case would probably go to trial sometime next year.

That last one could be big if the Vikings are planning on treating this in a similar manner to the Chris Cook proceedings, where he was reinstated to the roster but deactivated every week and not allowed to practice or be anywhere near the team. If that's the way they're going to handle it, Peterson may in fact be done for the year.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
He spanked HIS child.... bfd.... My mom used to whoop the crap out of me, and I turned out fine.

If more kids got their butts whooped, we wouldn't have as many rude **( kids wondering around the streets with disrespect.
He didn't spank. He WHIPPED and drew blood. The child is FOUR YEARS OLD.

Why are people continuing to call what he did spanking? HUGE difference.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 AM

This article says is better than I ever could....

An Open Call to the NFL: Ban Adrian Peterson Indefinitely | Saint Paul City GOP

As a lifelong advocate for children and families, I’ve witnessed a lot of abuse against children. In my work as a family advocate many years ago at the now defunct Freeport West in Minneapolis, we worked closely with child protection on high profile and difficult cases. One memory is seared into my mind. A medical exam found years of abuse on the little bodies of two girls, 4 and 5 years old. They were beat with coat hangers, with extension cords, with blunt objects, and with switches. They were bruised and scarred all over their backs and legs. They were gaunt. Their hair and skin looked unhealthy. They were not only physically abused, but they lacked nourishment- what we call “failure to thrive.” The two of us were to go immediately to remove those children from the home.

When we arrived at the house, I was astounded to see what was posted on the wall above their bed. It was the often misunderstood and mis-taught verse found in Proverbs 13:24, “Spare the rod and spoil the child.” You see, I was attending Luther Seminary in Saint Paul at the time, and these were just the kind of theological issues that we had spirited discussions about. I was so thankful we were there to take these children to a safe home that day.

Children are often left to fall through the cracks in our country because they cannot advocate for themselves. Ray Rice violently knocked out a grown woman and is banned from the NFL because of it. She could speak for herself. She can make decisions about that relationship. She can leave. A child can’t. Children are a gift and a trust from God, so utterly dependent upon the love and care of parents to nurture them and feed them and clothe them and house them and to discipline and teach them with integrity and love.

What Adrian Peterson did to his son is far worse than what Ray Rice did to his fiance’. All violence against the innocent and weak is despicable and morally repugnant, but there is nothing more disgusting than violence against an innocent child. What could a four year old boy have possibly done to warrant a beating like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events