Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 12:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Have you read about Cris Carter's son, Duron Carter. Extremely talented kid, but also a real knucklehead. Maybe he should have whipped him a little.

Kids (especially privileged kids/middle to upper middle class white kids) like that are awfully mouthy and disrespectful to their parents. I can't believe the things that come out of people's mouth to their parents.
Again, difference between discipline and abuse. Maybe Cris Carter did not discipline him. Or maybe his son is just a "knucklehead". Plenty of kids are - even those who were abused, so clearly that isn't a foolproof answer either.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:30 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wow!

My goal in raising our children is that they behave appropriately whether I'm there or not.

As to the caucasian kids being the unruly ones everywhere, that's not been my observation.

For years, my job involved visits to high schools. The unruly ones were nearly always the black students. For example, I never once saw white teen girls knock someone to the floor and kick them. I saw black teen girls do this a number of times.

I've seen black teens threaten teachers. There are Youtube videos of black teens attacking teachers.

There's a recent video of a group of black teens running through a mall and attacking a white man. Is there a similar video around of the reverse?

How people raise their children is all of our business as we are all part of the same community.
Wrong, white kids are loud and unruly BUT white teachers aren't scared of unruly white kids...they just smile and let the kids be nuts.

White kids don't threaten and smack talk teachers, but they are VERY disrespectful towards their parents. You almost never see "loud and unruly" black kids acting like that with black teachers AND NEVER with their parents. White kids think nothing of sassing their parents in public, even cursing them out. I'm not sure how one is ok and the other is not....their both deplorable.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
This practice seems to be a regional / cultural thing.

And so I guess we should not wonder why studies show domestic abuse is highest in the South and among African Americans in all regions. These children learn to get physical with others at an early age.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Doesn't matter if people grew up with it and they think they turned out okay. There was a time when people owned other people that they beat and worked 24-7 that was acceptable and okay and people defended it and justified it. There was a time when everyone didn't have the right to vote and people justified and defended it and claimed things were okay because of it. Just because it is one's personal experience doesn't make it right.
We're also assuming that the people issuing beatings were the paragon of parenting and possessed the intelligence, social and mental abilities to have determined that was the best way to discipline their child. Physically lashing out is a knee jerk, immature easy reaction. A grown man who is a professional athlete who whips a child who is not even in his care most of the time so he most likely doesn't know how to discipline him effectively (one ex claims Peterson has 6 or so children) to the point that draws blood and leaves multiple scars is not a just and appropriate punishment period for a 4 year old.

Last edited by Lubina; 09-14-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Sounds like a case of the boy deserved punishment and Peterson went too far.

Adrian Peterson of Minnesota Vikings indicted in child case - ESPN
He should have used a belt instead of a switch ! ! !

Old 09-14-2014, 01:30 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Yeah, taking a belt to a 4 year old to give him a whipping instead of love and communication to teach right from wrong.

How nice.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Nobody who whips his/her kids or advocates the doing of such can ever be regarded as a good parent.
Your opinion is noted.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I worked in juvenile detention for several years. Met all sorts of kids who got regular whippings.

And all sorts of parents who insisted that they had been whipped like this and they had "turned out just fine."

There is difference between a PARENT that uses whipping and a "parent" that uses whipping. Yes, a lot of bad parents use whipping because they see it as the easiest way to get desired behavior from kids while putting in minimal effort as a parent. I'm willing to bet the parents of those kids in the detention center were disfunctional in many ways.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post

How about someone try it out on you and see how you and see how you like it.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Nope but she did tell me to shut up or I would get some more

Her whipping room was wherever I decided to act up

Hell yes she did.

Yup 4-?? My mom (my very best friend to this day) would whip my ass now if I did something disrespectful. And guess what? I'd never even think to raise my hand up to her.

I guess that is why I am so respectful to others. I was scolded for reaching for things at the grocery store because we had very little money. It taught me very valuable lessons as an adult. I turned out polite, happy, smart, etc.

Seems white parents think discipline is awful for children. Maybe that is why there is always little caucasian kids running around being so unruly everywhere. I myself am bi-racial. The white side would let me get away with everything under the sun. Guess where I had my first run-in with the law at? Yup, away from my mother at my other families place for the summer. Why? Because I knew I wouldn't get disciplined. I actually remember thinking about that before I tried to steal a candy bar. I would've never even thought about that had I been with my mother. So my mothers whoopings would have saved you some tax dollars. Her kids, her rules. Don't like it? none of your business. That's the way I see it.
Did your mother beat you with objects so hard that you were left with bloody wounds and bruises all over your body days after? You think that is "discipline?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events