Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel we made ebola? I wouldn't touch that "vaccine" with a 10 foot pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Anyone else feel we made ebola? I wouldn't touch that "vaccine" with a 10 foot pole.
NO.

Jeez.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Excellent point about the other nurse. I still think as a medical professional she shouldn't have flown. When Duncan came to the US we were all up in arms because he was exposed and lied.

This woman knew she was exposed, had a 21 day 'quarantine' and still flew. The fact the CDC told her it was okay boggles my mind. Every medical professional I have talked to said they would lock themselves away in a room for the three weeks until cleared.
A famous medical professional walked around an Ebola ward in Liberia, was filmed in Thomas Duncan's apartment, and had contact with her camera man who is in the Omaha hospital as we speak being treated for Ebola, and yet she was seen breaking quarantine. I'm referring to Dr. Nancy Snyderman, the medical consultant for NBC News.

My guess is this young nurse had tickets to fly to Akron for a while and may have even mentioned it to the powers that be, and was told that as long as she didn't have a fever there was no reason to be worried about infecting anyone. She probably also was assured that she was low risk to get Ebola. People believe what they want to believe.

I was initially angry at Duncan for flying here and I assumed he lied to do it, but I've since decided he probably didn't really know or didn't want to believe. I also feel like it's natural for people to think it couldn't happen to them, or at least try to convince themselves of that.

I have a hard time being mad at this nurse or even Duncan, but I sure am livid at the U.S. government for issuing a tourist visa to Duncan and the thousands since then. And I sure am livid at the federal government response to this crisis.

I find it odd that people blamed Pres. Bush for his Katrina response, and didn't accept the idea that he was waiting for the local and state authorities to ask for national guard before he could send help, and yet now they're saying the same thing about the local and state authorities' response to Ebola in Dallas and the ability of the CDC to deal with this Ebola.

I'm no Bush fan, but I just thought it was ironic.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You can't be serious? There are 53 countries in Africa, and the Ebola is in 3 of them.
Doesn't matter. There is frequent travel between the countries of West Africa. Just because it is in 3 of them doesn't mean it is limited to those 3 countries.

The time to stop the spread of an epidemic is before it gets out of hand. That time is now. Countries within Africa are beginning to stop travel. We should too. Citizens of the 3 countries where there is prevalence should be denied access to our shores completely and immediately.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
County health director: Health care workers should have been quarantined | Dallas Morning News

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's how I feel about it too. I find this whole thing fascinating, and I feel terribly for Mr Duncan and I'm not too happy about the hospital administration's poor stewardship of their employees health and well being, but I'm not concerned that any of us GP are in any real danger.

I think we're certainly in less danger than we were before Mr Duncan walked in to TBH. It's pretty obvious that casual contact with an infected person who is not shedding the virus in a dying state is not problematic.

I think it's really really important not to panic and stigmatize because pushing potential cases underground would be the most dangerous scenario, IMHO.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
You do realize that hindsight is 20/20. There's nothing wrong with Frieden admitting that things could have been handled differently, and moving forward with new recommendations. That is the nature of progress.
There should be no 20/20 hindsight or nature of progress excuses, to use those excuses to cover up the fumbling that's been happening is weak. The CDC has been studying ebola for decades. During those decades of research one would think that the CDC could/should have come up with a rock solid plan to implement if ebola ended up in a first world country, a plan that covers far more than just sending a memo to first world hospitals, including the hospital that was, for the first time in its history, treating an ebola patient.

Quote:
Although I am very impressed with all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks here that have such extensive knowledge of infection control and governance of communicable disease.
Welcome to the MMQ group, and, thanks for you MMQ input.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Duncan didn't even know he had Ebola. He had helped a sick women but didn't they say they thought she had malaria? He had the tickets and must have had the visa quite a while in advance of his trip. I don't blame him as much as I blame that nurse who KNEW she had been exposed, had medical training and knowledge, was supposed to be in quarantine, and still hopped on a plane.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes she shouldn't have flown. Conflicting data, webMd has a normal temp from 97-99.
The link I gave is from WebMD, too.

I think what we need to know is whether there had been a change in her temp - going up?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Doesn't matter. There is frequent travel between the countries of West Africa. Just because it is in 3 of them doesn't mean it is limited to those 3 countries.

The time to stop the spread of an epidemic is before it gets out of hand. That time is now. Countries within Africa are beginning to stop travel. We should too. Citizens of the 3 countries where there is prevalence should be denied access to our shores completely and immediately.
Actually, I believe all the other countries in western Africa had the good sense to shut their borders with the three affected countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events