Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
There have been several studies of the Ebola virus and its related hemorrhagic fevers over the last 4 decades. Yes, there is still much that we need to learn. There is much we already know.

From the Journal of Infectious Diseases:
*Studies have shown no evidence of chronic, persistent, or latent infection of Ebola in monkey populations (monkeys also get Ebola and die at a high rate). There were also studies done in previous outbreaks, with the conclusion that "although the question is not settled, persistence of virus or viral antigen or genomes for weeks into convalescence seems common, but long-term infection is apparently not likely. "
*"IgG and IgM ELISAs [27, 27a] were used to evaluate the possibility of subclinical infections among family contacts [54], contacts of convalescent patients [44], medical staff [55], and local residents [30], and evidence suggested that a very low level of subclinical transmission occurred during the outbreak" [subclinical infections = asymptomatic]
*About Ebola spreading through the air: "Indeed patients without any direct exposure to a known EHF case were carefully sought but uncommonly found [65]. The conclusion is that if this mode of spread occurred, it was very minor. "
*"Nonhuman primate studies [66] found conjunctival and oral routes of infection to be possible. It seems likely that the increased risk from late-stage patients [54] reflects increased virus excretion as the disease progresses, similar to that seen in monkey models [50]. Thus, mucous-membrane exposure, pharyngeal contamination during swallowing, inoculation via small skin breaks, or even infection from swallowed infectious material may all contribute to virus transmission. "

There are many more studies linked in the article.

This is from 1999. We've had 15 more years of research since then.
The conclusion is that if its spread that way it's very minor, not impossible. The conclusion is not settled. Subclinical transmission at low level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
From WHO, citing scientific studies:
"The Ebola virus is transmitted among humans through close and direct physical contact with infected bodily fluids, the most infectious being blood, faeces and vomit.
The Ebola virus has also been detected in breast milk, urine and semen. In a convalescent male, the virus can persist in semen for at least 70 days; one study suggests persistence for more than 90 days.
Saliva and tears may also carry some risk. However, the studies implicating these additional bodily fluids were extremely limited in sample size and the science is inconclusive. In studies of saliva, the virus was found most frequently in patients at a severe stage of illness. The whole live virus has never been isolated from sweat."

So studies have shown that is possible that saliva and tears can be infectious at the end of the illness. Sweat isn't a factor.

This should be a very good indicator that if someone does have the Ebola virus in their system and isn't showing any symptoms, they aren't contagious. We can't get it from sweat, it shows up in saliva at the end of the illness (when there will be symptoms)...so don't touch people's blood, vomit, or feces and you're good.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Next time maybe the WHO will resond to screaming help in time so we won't have to. We are in this mess because they ignored requests for help and didn't believe they were headed toward a crisis even after repeatedly being asked for help. The U.S. is not at fault for everything nor are we responsible to fix everything.
Nope, I agree we are not the worlds cop, but sometimes it is in our own self interest to help. This appears to be one of those times. Again, just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Nope, I agree we are not the worlds cop, but sometimes it is in our own self interest to help. This appears to be one of those times. Again, just my opinion.
It's beyond astonishing how many people are so oblivious of this very basic concept.

For example, they do not understand that D-Day was not launched because the United States wanted nothing more than to affect the liberty of people in France, Holland, and so forth. Obviously, western Europe was liberated primarily as a means to an end to defeat a country that was a threat to the United States. The UK, Canada, and the rest of the Allies participated for the very same reason - self-interest.

Do they not comprehend that whether it's training Mexican law enforcement, providing military aid to Egypt, protecting Poland as part of our NATO role, or myriad other forms of foreign assistance, that these things are done because it ultimately is beneficial to American citizens?

So long as this epidemic rages in West Africa, infected individuals will periodically appear beyond West Africa. If it gets to Nigeria again, and if things go as bad there as in Liberia/Sierra Leone/Guinea, the resulting spike in oil prices will cost the United States far, far more than we will ever spend combating Ebola in Africa. Similar cost/benefits equations come out thusly in all sorts of countries to which this epidemic might spread. And if Ebola becomes endemic, we will have to pay these costs in perpetuity, or ultimately go in and eradicate the disease - again, either scenarios entails far higher costs than getting it under control in the near-term, in West Africa.

They just don't get it - because they just do not want to get it.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
No, I would not get an Ebola vaccine, just like I would not get an AIDs vaccine or a smallpox vaccine Had one of those as a child, not getting another). No, I am not anti-vaccine. Just don't see a need in my case. I am not someone that runs out and has to have the latest medical cure-all. Worked in healthcare for the better part of two decades. If people are responsible (unlike that little self-important, I want recognition, witch up in Northern Maine) and governments did their small part (like quarantines, Obama if 21 days is good enough for our military it's good enough for the public) we should be okay.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Just heard on the radio that the woman in Maine has defied the authorities and is out for a bike ride with her boyfriend. The state is trying to do something about her to make her stay home.

ALSO, I heard the interview on 60 Minutes and they interviewed people who had taken care of Mr Duncan. They said he was really nice and would say thank you whenever they did anything for him. They said he DID tell the hospital he had just come from W. Africa the first time they went there. That information was lost in the system, according to the hospital so the doctor did not see it. But the hospital was told he was from W. Africa.

The carers said he did lie to (I think it was the CDC who interviewed him later.) I don't understand why.

Too bad a car out of control didn't go down that road...

Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Too bad a car out of control didn't go down that road...
Yeah. I'm not in a panic over Ebola, but a bike ride is not some essential errand that warrants violating quarantine IMHO.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:41 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I still don't believe that Thomas Duncan knowingly lied or mislead anyone about having been exposed. I've read numerous accounts of the events back in Liberia where the pregnant neighbor was thought to be having complications from pregnancy, she was turned away from three hospitals and a clinic because they didn't have room, went home and died. He left before there were further infections of people associated with this woman. It would not be to his benefit to seek medical help without full disclosure.

As far as him telling the hospital where he was from, we never will really know what account of this is true, since THPH has stated that they were told that he was from Liberia, but that there was a systems issue, or a miscommunication. Now, which is it? Did he say he was from Liberia, or Africa, or was there a misunderstanding, is someone trying to cover their rear ends? Some combination? Who knows.

Those staff at the hospital who treated him had commented on what a nice person he was, those who knew him in Africa spoke about how compassionate and helpful he always was, that ended up being the end of him.
In an official hospital statement, from Duncan's first ER visit, they state that he answered AFRICA to the travel history question. They felt the answer was not displayed in the best possible way on their electronic record system. The hospital changed their computer program to better display said answers and alerted other health agencies. That alert appears to have caused confusion with the press and what they reported to us. From the initial ER visit, the record states Duncan was a local resident, he had traveled to Africa and he had not been around anyone who was sick.

The 60 Minute report was with staff from Duncans second trip to the ER.

Last edited by elan; 10-30-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Just heard on the radio that the woman in Maine has defied the authorities and is out for a bike ride with her boyfriend. The state is trying to do something about her to make her stay home.

She may not get sick, BUT she is setting a horrible example for others who might not be so lucky. What a turkey, who does she think she is anyway. Good grief.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
She's just enjoying her 30 minutes of in your face fame.

If the media would leave her alone, the neighbors near her will quarantine her with peer pressure.

She must not have many local friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events