Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
But not even *that* is happening. I've said it before, Obama WANTS Ebola within our borders.

Good thing I have low blood pressure, because just thinking about this makes my blood boil.

We've got to stop *all* traffic from Africa, PERIOD.

Meanwhile, we've got several churches in our community still sending missionaries to and from the dark Continent. I think that's also foolish.
I guess that means the churches in your community WANT ebola within our borders too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
this article is about our open border policy as well as the green card lottery, how stupid is this country of ours that we do not change our policies when the world changes?
I've semi-jokingly said let's quarantine any Ebola patients along the southern border.
That would have an additional benefit. Talk about shutting down drug smuggling.

They have the family in a private home since no hotel would take them.
Think I'll by some extra dried Beans and cans of Tuna this week.

Wonder how much this 1 case of Ebola is costing Texas citizens?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The thing is that nasty stadium bathrooms will expose you to feces and urine.
I take a Gotta Go Poncho to games and I can drink all the beer I want and not miss a play. No lines at the bathroom, I just go at my seat in the privacy of a plastic poncho and special catchment bags. Totally discreet. [url=http://www.goponcho.com]Gotta Go Poncho[/url]

Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't believe that for a minute. Where did you read about severe asthma being a risks of the new vaccine?
I think he was referring to the risk of anaphylaxis, which does occur rarely. Anyone who administers vaccines always has epinephrine handy just in case. The risk of anaphylaxis after vaccination is about 2 in 10,000. Since the current risk of ebola in the USA is 1 in 317,000,000, the risk of the vaccine is much higher. If there is an epidemic, or even if it becomes endemic in North America, the vaccine will start to look like a better bet. This is particularly true because death from anaphylaxis is rare with prompt treatment to control the allergic reaction.

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Call me selfish, but--although I've never been to Africa, if I had been and got a headache, I wouldn't tell anybody. I wouldn't want to be involuntarily isolated for weeks at a time. That's just nuts.
The you take the risk of being one of the dead from it as well as expose your friends and family.

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
But not even *that* is happening. I've said it before, Obama WANTS Ebola within our borders.

Good thing I have low blood pressure, because just thinking about this makes my blood boil.

Meanwhile, we've got several churches in our community still sending missionaries to and from the dark Continent. I think that's also foolish.
I hate how people have to make everything about politics / Obama. The fact that you think the POTUS wants a deadly disease within his own borders, where his own family lives, should make you re-examine your point of view. I never cared for Pres. Bush, but I didn't make wild assumptions that he was treasonous when he made decisions I didn't agree with.

*All traffic from Africa*- It's a whole continent. Many countries in Africa can say they are Ebola free. We cannot. Should the EU ban all air traffic from the US now? Patient Zero got here from Brussels. No more travelers from Europe? Talk about crippling our economy.

This sort of hysterical ignorance is the opposite end of the same crazy spectrum of people that deny the very existence of Ebola, or think it's a plot by the west to destroy Africans.

Many people around here don't need to invest in latex gloves, they need more tinfoil for their hats.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default Ruth Atkins said "yes" to the vaccine

Pictured: First British healthy volunteer to be injected with experimental Ebola vaccine designed to fight deadly virus | Daily Mail Online

Article dated 17 Sep:

"The first healthy human volunteer has been injected with an experimental Ebola vaccine today as part of a fast-tracked British trial.
Ruth Atkins, a 48-year-old NHS communications manager from Marcham, Oxfordshire, was injected at Oxford's Vaccine Group Centre for Clinical Vaccinology and Tropical Medicine today.
The trial, which will ultimately involve 60 volunteers including two on Friday, is part of a series of safety tests of potential drugs aimed at preventing infection with the virus."

Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

This reads like satire.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:09 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Default NJ possible Ebola patient

Passenger from Brussels met by CDC at Newark Liberty airport - possible ebola.

Passenger showing signs of illness while on plane. Other passengers are detained on plane.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
You realize it's spreading as we speak, don't you. NJ has a probably case and the passengers on the plane are likely to have been directly exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events