Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't imagine feeling too comfortable about seeing my son or daughter or husband or wife off to Liberia - and I can't imagine being deployed and getting the bulletin that our Armed Forces got today to be alert of terror threats against my family members.
The Military should be like our Police and be allowed to carry a side arm even when not on duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The Military should be like our Police and be allowed to carry a side arm even when not on duty.
Don't even get me started on that Hassan incident at Fort Hood.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,957,054 times
Now it looks like there was no "electronic flaw" preventing the treating physician from knowing the patient had come from Liberia.

Hospital reverses explanation for fumbling Ebola case | Dallas Morning News

Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have no problem with the school being cleaned and disinfected. What I have a problem with is that local officials keep telling us it is impossible to get infected without blood, vomit, saliva, semen or sweat from an infected person getting into our bodies through a cut or mucuous membrane. They have completely discounted getting infected from these substances on dried surfaces. Yet they are disinfecting schools, putting the ambulance in quarantine and getting a hazmat cleaning company to clean the apartment. Their actions are in direct contradiction to their assurances.
Yep, when the govt. and media tell me to freak out (SARS, Y2K) I pretty much ignore it, but when they tell me "Go about your business, nothing to see here", my ears perk up.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
They have completely discounted getting infected from these substances on dried surfaces. Yet they are disinfecting schools, putting the ambulance in quarantine and getting a hazmat cleaning company to clean the apartment. Their actions are in direct contradiction to their assurances.
They haven't completely discounted getting infected by body fluids on surfaces. They are disinfecting areas where the virus is known to have been or may have likely been. People were infected in Liberia via direct contact or handling known body fluids, like the camera man who was cleaning out a car that had an infected person. Since it's not widespread in our country, we don't need to worry about the buttons on ATM machines yet at this point.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,322,273 times
Default Oddly enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I think this Liberian came to America because he had a pretty good idea he had the disease. Staying in Liberia would have meant certain death. Here, he'll be cured and at no expense to him.

I wonder how many visitors from the infected countries have come here. Showing no symptoms, yet. Or how many will go to Mexico and enter the US that way. Or infect Mexicans who will then come here.

That "news conference" the CDC guy gave a few days ago, with the computer generated voices and everything, was not exactly confidence inspiring. We can stop one, two or three cases in their tracks, maybe. But what about 300? 70 in Texas, 100 in CA/AZ/NM, the rest here and there.

I would be surprised if we didn't see this by Xmas. It's just getting started.
this article is about our open border policy as well as the green card lottery, how stupid is this country of ours that we do not change our policies when the world changes?

It is my country and the country of my ancestors but I am so disillusioned sometimes with the inefficiency with how we exist and the pure stupidity with our blunders. Having said that...when we do get it right, we really do a great job of it!

We Gambled with Ebola and Lost

Ebola has reached our shores from Africa. Dozens of children are reportedly suffering paralysis from a deadly virus with unknown origins. Medical providers across the country have warned of a looming public-health crisis as communicable diseases spread unmonitored and uncontrolled. Other countries are cracking down. But America is stuck on open-borders stupid.

We Gambled with Ebola and Lost | National Review Online

Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Obama eased the quarantine regulations for entry into the United States. He also refused to deny entry to all people from the infected countries and/or people who had recently been in these countries.

Anyone who has a Liberian/Sierra Leonian/Nigerian passport, or who had their passport stamped in Liberia/Sierra Leone/Nigeria within the last year should be denied entry into the United States. Even US citizens should be denied entry if they have those stamps in their passports.
Within the last year is overboard. The virus incubation period is only 21 days.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,153,351 times
Quote:
Now it looks like there was no "electronic flaw" preventing the treating physician from knowing the patient had come from Liberia.

Just goes to show ISIS don't need to attack us when we can do it ourselves with our either incompetence or intentional criminal negligence.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:

From the article you linked:

Quote:
On Friday, Presbyterian spokesman Wendell Watson would not give answers to a series of detailed questions beyond whether a doctor had in fact treated Duncan. “Of course, a doctor treated him,” Watson said.
They should define "treated by a doctor." If this is a teaching hospital, it's very well possible the doctor only saw him for a minute or two. We've received terrible care in the ERs of teaching hospitals. The doctor missed important information about my husband's health because he went by the report given by the resident/intern. She told him the Xray and CT scans were normal. After hours and hours of being in the ER, there was a shift change, and the new attending physician was perplexed by not being able to diagnose my husband. She went back and LOOKED at the actual imagine herself, consulted with the radiologist, and diagnosed my husband. It took 12 hours to diagnose my husband with pneumonia because of a resident/intern error and the first attending physician not spending more than a two minutes with my husband. I remember even asking him if the x-ray and CT scan results were normal since he was disregarding upper respiratory symptoms and focusing his questions on other things. He looked at a sheet of paper in his hand and said, "I'll have to look at the images myself." Well, apparently he was too busy and never go around to it. Don't even get me started on physician's assistants in the ER. They're either really good or really bad.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,748,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Within the last year is overboard. The virus incubation period is only 21 days.
But not even *that* is happening. I've said it before, Obama WANTS Ebola within our borders.

Good thing I have low blood pressure, because just thinking about this makes my blood boil.

We've got to stop *all* traffic from Africa, PERIOD.

Meanwhile, we've got several churches in our community still sending missionaries to and from the dark Continent. I think that's also foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events