Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Brussels is an Ebola stricken country? End ALL overseas travel?
There are flights from Liberia that layover in Brussels; it is here that there are connections to the US.

Do you think anything should be done to temporarily restrict those trying to gain entry into the US from the hotbed regions? A quarantine before entry? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yes.
I think west africa needs to be quarantined.
Sure, some people might sneak out, yadda yadda.
But it's better than wholesale masses just flying in.
That's just silly/ridiculous.

I swear political correctness will be the literal death of a lot of people.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Do you think anything should be done to temporarily restrict those trying to gain entry into the US from the hotbed regions? A quarantine before entry? Any ideas?
I don't think a quarantine after landing at a US airport before entry into the country s a good idea. Getting to our country and into quarantine may become desirable because the CDC will treat anyone who become ill while in quarantine. Plus, they will expose people on the flight here. It's much better to restrict travel FROM the countries that have these illnesses. Let all the people who want to go to these African countries IN, but don't let them OUT of these African countries until they have been in quarantine for 21 days. After they have gone through a quarantine in the affected countries for 21 days, then they can get on a plane. In other words, close the borders of the countries with the virus from travel OUT of those countries to ANY other countries whatsoever. If it spreads here from what's already here, our own borders should be closed from people LEAVING the US too.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:58 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The guy who "wore the same shirt" is not "in charge of the CDC". He was Judge Clay Jenkins, director of the county's Homeland Security and Emergency Management. It was to drive home the point that you do not get Ebola from just being in the same air space with someone who has been exposed but has no symptoms.
Thank you for clarifying. I was walking through my living room while it was playing on TV, but to me he looked like Thomas Frieden with the CDC. I still think the authorities are being so cavalier about this to calm fears to the point where it breeds mistrust from the public and is actually counter-productive. I'm not reassured any time I see them on television making statements about how we cannot restrict travel (of course we can), or how hard it is to get from someone with the virus.

My daughter somehow picked up the idea at school that Ebola spreads like HIV/AIDS. I had to explain how difficult it really is to get HIV. It is blood contact only, like Hep C, but that Ebola actually can be found in other bodily fluids. This kind of disinformation may make kids and adults feel better, but it also may cause complacency. That kind of language is how a man from Liberia and showing symptoms of Ebola can get sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Complacency can be dangerous.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Brussels is an Ebola stricken country? End ALL overseas travel?
I'm not so sure people will want to travel if this keeps happening.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:00 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84 View Post
I take a Gotta Go Poncho to games and I can drink all the beer I want and not miss a play. No lines at the bathroom, I just go at my seat in the privacy of a plastic poncho and special catchment bags. Totally discreet. Gotta Go Poncho
Is this a joke?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think a quarantine after landing at a US airport before entry into the country s a good idea. Getting to our country and into quarantine may become desirable because the CDC will treat anyone who become ill while in quarantine. Plus, they will expose people on the flight here. It's much better to restrict travel FROM the countries that have these illnesses. Let all the people who want to go to these African countries IN, but don't let them OUT of these African countries until they have been in quarantine for 21 days. After they have gone through a quarantine in the affected countries for 21 days, then they can get on a plane. In other words, close the borders of the countries with the virus from travel OUT of those countries to ANY other countries whatsoever. If it spreads here from what's already here, our own borders should be closed from people LEAVING the US too.
This makes sense It's neither an over or under-reaction. therefore, they won't do it.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My daughter somehow picked up the idea at school that Ebola spreads like HIV/AIDS. I had to explain how difficult it really is to get HIV. It is blood contact only, like Hep C, but that Ebola actually can be found in other bodily fluids. This kind of disinformation may make kids and adults feel better, but it also may cause complacency. That kind of language is how a man from Liberia and showing symptoms of Ebola can get sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Complacency can be dangerous.
It spreads more like rabies without a bite.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
There are flights from Liberia that layover in Brussels; it is here that there are connections to the US.

Just deny them entry. Check their passport, and if they were in any of the "hot zone" countries within the last 21 to (say) 28 days, they're not coming to the United States. Period. Doesn't matter if you're actually boarding the plane in Brussels, Paris, or wherever - if you've been in one of the affected countries anytime in the last few weeks, you're not getting on the plane.

This could be done overnight; it's absolutely mind-boggling that our government doesn't even seem to be seriously considering it. It's just elementary. I was in San Francisco 6 or 7 years ago on vacation when the swine flu outbreak exploded in California, and I caught it. I was sicker than I'd ever been in my life, and mostly holed up in my hotel room the entire time. But when it was time to go home, I had a rather rude shock - Delta refused to allow me to board the plane. They put me up in a hotel for 2 or 3 days, until I was better and the hysteria had died down a bit. But on the day I tried to board, the media frenzy was at a peak, and I was flying out of a known hot zone. They wouldn't let me on the plane. I didn't like it, but I completely understood. I don't see any reason this can't be done now.

I'm really troubled as I read the story in the link. I suppose it could be updated and clarified at any time, but as of right now, they're simply saying that the other passengers on the plane were "allowed to deboard." OK, great - and then what? Did they all go out to the curb and hop into taxis? I want to know if they are being isolated. And if not, why not?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 10-04-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,276,394 times
Apparently another false alarm.

Ebola ruled out for passenger at Newark airport, official says - News - NorthJersey.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events