Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Ever heard the term "undocumented immigrant"? We have a travel ban to Cuba and yet it's still possible to get there if you go through other countries like Mexico.

If you want to get some place bad enough (in order to survive) there is always a way. To me, it makes more sense to do our absolute best to remove the reason for them to leave Ebola-land to begin with.
Is it possible for infected people to still leak through? Sure. But how likely is it? Banning entry to anyone who's been in the hot zone will stop almost everyone who might have been exposed. It's not 101% perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than letting everyone in who wants to come as long as they're not actually vomiting all over the inside of the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right, because DC is so full of honorable, intelligent, superior people. This is manifested in it's crime rate and it's poverty and literacy rates as well.

The White House was breached twice in the past week or so. And you think the mentality in DC is actually more vigilant than elsewhere? I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you at a TERRIFIC price, if that's the case!

The hospital in Texas made a critical mistake. Hopefully, the rest of the nation will learn from this mistake. I'm sure many other cities and hospitals will get this opportunity before it's all said and done, and I personally wouldn't be touting any other area's "superiority" just yet.

It's unfortunate that Duncan lied in his exit paperwork and hid the fact that he'd been exposed to Ebola just days before he came here - he hid this very pertinent fact (which was illegal to hide, by the way) from not only airport officials, but from his own family, including his girlfriend and her children. He did not EVER tell hospital personnel about his close contact with Ebola patients - in fact, they only learned about this when his nephew and step daughter called as he was vomiting profusely, while the ambulance was en route to the apartment. That's right, he didn't even care at that point who he infected, and was STILL hiding the fact that he had been exposed to Ebola.

The best systems in the world can't protect us from someone who is determined to risk the safety and wellbeing of others by such deceptive measures.
I don't blame the State of Texas for anything at all and not the hospital either. Yeah, it's too bad that they've had to take some tarnish to their reputation here but it's not like they had a 'heads-up' or an opportunity to choose this ebola patient and thus prepare in advance of any disease, let alone ebola. The decision (read: choice) made by Emory Healthcare of Atlanta to accept missionary Kent Brantley and Nancy Writebol (who were both treated and released as 'cured') was the perfect opportunity to watch and learn what to do, exactly, during a crisis such as this.

A third Ebola patient, an American doctor who also contracted the disease, arrived at Emory on September 9. As of October 1, there’s been no update in his condition.

Ebola In America: One Hospital Just Treated Three Ebola Patients -- And Already Cured Two Of Them - Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have no problem with the school being cleaned and disinfected. What I have a problem with is that local officials keep telling us it is impossible to get infected without blood, vomit, saliva, semen or sweat from an infected person getting into our bodies through a cut or mucuous membrane. They have completely discounted getting infected from these substances on dried surfaces. Yet they are disinfecting schools, putting the ambulance in quarantine and getting a hazmat cleaning company to clean the apartment. Their actions are in direct contradiction to their assurances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Our government is telling us to just wash our hands. The genuis in charge of the CDC wore the same shirt he wore at the apt to a press conference just to make a point. Meanwhile, back at the apt they're wearing hazmat suits and barracading the place with plastic decontamination tents. The government is lying to everyone. Has it started to sink in yet for people?
Hence the lack of faith and trust in those who are responsible for educating the public and keeping us abreast of the facts concerning this current health crisis. Their actions and commentary do not inspire confidence in any of their proclamations and they often contradict their very own missives and directives to the general public.

A) When they reach the point where they appoint someone who is well informed and not dependent on the crap being fed to them by the politicos.

B) They must be allowed to own their position as a spokesperson for any and all concerns related to the public safety and health of our citizens...

Then and only then will they garner any faith, trust or confidence in their dealings with the public health.

I think it's pretty clear after reading and participating in close to 80 pages of commentary concerning the ebola 'touch down' in Texas alone, the confidence level that our national population has with any organization or agency, whether it be local, county or state, that walks hand in hand with our Federal government in regards to anything at all, is not to be believed and not to be trusted OR...read very carefully between the lines and DO your own homework.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
From the article you linked:

They should define "treated by a doctor." If this is a teaching hospital, it's very well possible the doctor only saw him for a minute or two. We've received terrible care in the ERs of teaching hospitals. The doctor missed important information about my husband's health because he went by the report given by the resident/intern. She told him the Xray and CT scans were normal. After hours and hours of being in the ER, there was a shift change, and the new attending physician was perplexed by not being able to diagnose my husband. She went back and LOOKED at the actual imagine herself, consulted with the radiologist, and diagnosed my husband. It took 12 hours to diagnose my husband with pneumonia because of a resident/intern error and the first attending physician not spending more than a two minutes with my husband. I remember even asking him if the x-ray and CT scan results were normal since he was disregarding upper respiratory symptoms and focusing his questions on other things. He looked at a sheet of paper in his hand and said, "I'll have to look at the images myself." Well, apparently he was too busy and never go around to it. Don't even get me started on physician's assistants in the ER. They're either really good or really bad.
I've never received stellar care the three times I've been to an ER with husband/kids. The only time we did receive good care was at Texas Children's Hospital when my daughter was sick, but her doctor called ahead and told the ER we were coming. Not that we wouldn't have received amazing care anyway. That hospital is amazing.

The problem with ER doctors is that they are completely overwhelmed with real emergencies and then others who use the ER as a treating physician to treat everything from a stomach ache to an ear infection.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
No, they didn't. I was pretty clear that it was a relatively low-grade, "nuisance" type bug, with low fever, that had been stable for over 5 days. So that could be why they didn't bother. It could also be that I'm in Kentucky, where the state motto appears to be "anything worth doing is worth doing as half-assed as possible."
I spent the entire day Thursday with SEVERE stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and chills. I only called the doctor's office to find out if there was a pill for the chills because I could not get warm even under two down comforters. Ebola was the farthest thing from my mind because I knew what caused my symptoms. All I wanted was a break from the chills. The nurse wasn't concerned either. Neither of us mentioned ebola and she didn't ask weird ebola questions or provide too much information like you experienced. It was a normal telephone call. My doctor's nurse and I have known each other for years. If she was inundated with calls about ebola, she would have said something to me. She didn't.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Just thinking outloud but if micro-organisms can adapt and mutate, shouldn't plants be able to also? I heard artichokes pack a powerfull punch.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 PM

372 posts, read 599,687 times
We are still not supposed to be concerned about this? Like someone above me mentioned, they are sure getting these test results back fast and immediately ruling out Ebola. Not buying this B.S.

The people who are telling everyone they should not be concerned right now are the same people who will tell us not to be concerned later if the case count rises to 50, 100, 200, 500... etc.

Because, they claim, the government has it under control.

Even though they waited for the guy in Dallas to start puking blood before attempting to do anything.

Even though they are still letting people from West Africa to enter the United States without checking for Ebola (or any disease).

Even though the family in Dallas was allowed to go in and out of the building as they pleased when they were supposed to be in quarantine.

But yes. If the Government says they have it under control, they must be telling the truth. Because the Government never lies.

The Government claimed Ebola would never even reach our shores, but here it is. Open your eyes.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What are you talking about? I didn't say any such thing. I was noting the difference between what is being said and what is being done. On the one hand, they're saying just wash your hands. Then you see them with the hazmat suits and the plastic tents, and it just doesn't seem like they're being completely honest here. But you go around believing everything you're told. I mean, who are you going to believe, the government or your lying eyes?
I believe what I've learned from reading the hazmat data sheets, etc.. Hand washing is not enough when actually dealing with ebola body fluids. The CDC is not telling people who live with someone who has ebola or was possibly exposed to ebola to wash their hands. Those people will receive detailed information on how to handle the body fluids in the house. That doesn't mean I need to take those precautions in my everyday life because I haven't been exposed to an eboli patient. This is similar to how I don't walk around 24/7 protecting myself from rabies. I only take extra precautions if I believe there was the slightest possibility I encountered rabies.

The disinfecting of the schools was just to make parents feel better because everyone is paranoid. Telling people to wash their hands is the same thing. They're just trying to calm unnecessary hysteria.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
We are still not supposed to be concerned about this? Like someone above me mentioned, they are sure getting these test results back fast and immediately ruling out Ebola. Not buying this B.S.

The people who are telling everyone they should not be concerned right now are the same people who will tell us not to be concerned later if the case count rises to 50, 100, 200, 500... etc.

Because, they claim, the government has it under control.

Even though they waited for the guy in Dallas to start puking blood before attempting to do anything.

Even though they are still letting people from West Africa to enter the United States without checking for Ebola (or any disease).

Even though the family in Dallas was allowed to go in and out of the building as they pleased when they were supposed to be in quarantine.

But yes. If the Government says they have it under control, they must be telling the truth. Because the Government never lies.
The botched up mess in Dallas has nothing to do with government. That was the hospital and probably local officials.

I do think the CDC should tighten the rules and guidelines concerning travel though.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know. But how will they eventually determine it's effective? Via lab animals? Does a human actually dare be exposed to the virus eventually?
The effectveness in lab animals has already been shown. In humans, it will need to be tested in areas where the Ebola risk is high enough to justify using it. That's why the testing will be done in a much shorter time frame than is commonly required. The goal is to get a vaccine to Africa as soon as possible. Testing will not involve deliberately exposing humans to Ebola.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The effectveness in lab animals has already been shown. In humans, it will need to be tested in areas where the Ebola risk is high enough to justify using it. That's why the testing will be done in a much shorter time frame than is commonly required. The goal is to get a vaccine to Africa as soon as possible. Testing will not involve deliberately exposing humans to Ebola.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events