Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:47 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I believe what I've learned from reading the hazmat data sheets, etc.. Hand washing is not enough when actually dealing with ebola body fluids. The CDC is not telling people who live with someone who has ebola or was possibly exposed to ebola to wash their hands. Those people will receive detailed information on how to handle the body fluids in the house. That doesn't mean I need to take those precautions in my everyday life because I haven't been exposed to an eboli patient. This is similar to how I don't walk around 24/7 protecting myself from rabies. I only take extra precautions if I believe there was the slightest possibility I encountered rabies.

The disinfecting of the schools was just to make parents feel better because everyone is paranoid. Telling people to wash their hands is the same thing. They're just trying to calm unnecessary hysteria.
Fair enough, but how long do the symptoms that are similar to cold and flu last? This guy walked around for a few days with those symptoms, shedding virus along the way, before the diarrhea and vomiting started. We know that once symptoms start, they start shedding virus for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Can you imagine being THOSE passengers? You're anxious to get off the plane and go see family and/or return home and there you are - stuck for up to 21 days.

And do they isolate each of the 100+ passengers, or just put them altogether in one area?

What a mess.

And the worst is, it was caused by the incompetence of this administration. Why haven't we restricted travel from Ebola-stricken countries?
Once it makes it out of Texas and starts showing up in New York or Washington, D.C., maybe then this Administration will start getting concerned. Oh, a little too close to home now, maybe we should reconsider that travel ban.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Can they really tell, THAT fast, that the person didn't have the virus? Or are they just saying that.

Also, if Brussels is the point of departure for people who left Liberia and are headed here, are people in Belgium concerned? Seems like they should be. I think the man who has Ebola was there for seven hours.
EXACTLY!! With the obvious lies we've heard so far from this Administration, I really have no confidence in what they say anymore. If only they had been more honest from the get-go, people wouldn't be nearly as distrustful as they are.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
EXACTLY!! With the obvious lies we've heard so far from this Administration, I really have no confidence in what they say anymore. If only they had been more honest from the get-go, people wouldn't be nearly as distrustful as they are.
Once the WH said it was under control, was reason enough to worry.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but how long do the symptoms that are similar to cold and flu last? This guy walked around for a few days with those symptoms, shedding virus along the way, before the diarrhea and vomiting started. We know that once symptoms start, they start shedding virus for sure.
Ebola doesn't have symptoms similar to a cold. Where did you read that?

Signs and Symptoms | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

Common cold Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

I don't believe he walked around much once his symptoms started. I think he stayed at the apartment like most people do when they don't feel well, went to the hospital, went back to the apartment and stayed there until he went back to the hospital again. It sounds like the type of illness that doesn't inspire anyone to "walk around for a few days" with the symptoms. The headache isn't mild, it's described as very sharp.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Update.

Thomas Duncan is getting worse.
He should have leveled with the ER personnel during his first visit. Something along the lines of, "I took this really, really sick woman to the hospital - in an area where Ebola is very common. Three hours later, she died. Now I'm sick too."

He'd have been two days ahead of the curve if he'd been forthright and honest.

That being said, I hope he doesn't die.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
It has to do with viral load: it takes time for the virus to multiply. It is not as if one day the victim is not infectious and the next day he is. Also, different body fluids contain different amounts of virus. For example, it does not make it into urine very well.

With early symptoms, there is less virus available for the victim to shed.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Only 60 percent of the population knows how to read, for Pete's sake!

Only 60% of Texans know how to read?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:16 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The botched up mess in Dallas has nothing to do with government. That was the hospital and probably local officials.

I do think the CDC should tighten the rules and guidelines concerning travel though.

The botched up mess in Dallas has everything to do with the government. Our government should never have issued a visa to him to allow him to come here. He is on a tourist visa. They are quarantining people by posting guards there 24/7. What is all that costing taxpayers? And this is only the first case; just wait until there are others. Our government needs to ban people coming into this country from anywhere in West Africa. If one has a drug conviction on their record, they are going to have trouble getting into many countries, including Japan and Canada, but out government lets everyone come here, even those with highly contagious diseases.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I spent the entire day Thursday with SEVERE stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and chills. I only called the doctor's office to find out if there was a pill for the chills because I could not get warm even under two down comforters. Ebola was the farthest thing from my mind because I knew what caused my symptoms. All I wanted was a break from the chills. The nurse wasn't concerned either. Neither of us mentioned ebola and she didn't ask weird ebola questions or provide too much information like you experienced. It was a normal telephone call. My doctor's nurse and I have known each other for years. If she was inundated with calls about ebola, she would have said something to me. She didn't.
You're also in some Podunk town in PA. Talking to someone you have known for years.

Perhaps if you were in the Dallas area, talking to someone who didn't know you so well, you would have gotten a different reaction.

Depending on how far this spreads we might start seeing different reactions.

Today in Podunk, PA it is no big deal, down the road someone placing a call like that might be getting a knock on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events