Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The botched up mess in Dallas has everything to do with the government. Our government should never have issued a visa to him to allow him to come here. He is on a tourist visa. They are quarantining people by posting guards there 24/7. What is all that costing taxpayers? And this is only the first case; just wait until there are others. Our government needs to ban people coming into this country from anywhere in West Africa. If one has a drug conviction on their record, they are going to have trouble getting into many countries, including Japan and Canada, but out government lets everyone come here, even those with highly contagious diseases.
That's what pisses me off the most, issuing tourist visas to people in Ebola-stricken countries! What are they thinking? I wouldn't have been nearly as upset if the guy was a Liberian-American coming back from visiting family, but to find out he's not even a U.S. citizen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 02:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
... And the worst is, it was caused by the incompetence of this administration. Why haven't we restricted travel from Ebola-stricken countries?
Because the citizens of those Ebola-stricken countries look like our President.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
Now these bozos are hyping contact tracing as the most effective way of limiting the spread of Ebola when if a simple travel ban was imposed from the start there would not even be a need for contract tracing.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're also in some Podunk town in PA. Talking to someone you have known for years.
Pittsburgh isn't a Podunk town. We have excellent medical schools and healthcare here. Didn't you noticed some of the experts being quoted in the articles are from Pittsburgh? A nurse knowing me for years means she knows my intelligence and my ability to know what's going on with my body. I'm not going to be specific about what caused my symptoms, but let me assure you that I do not have a virus.

Quote:
Perhaps if you were in the Dallas area, talking to someone who didn't know you so well, you would have gotten a different reaction.
Oh, you mean like the ER sending someone with ebola home? That's hilarious! LOL

Quote:
Depending on how far this spreads we might start seeing different reactions.

Today in Podunk, PA it is no big deal, down the road someone placing a call like that might be getting a knock on the door.
Highly doubtful since I didn't have a fever, haven't traveled outside of the country, haven't been in contact with anyone who traveled outside of the country, haven' been around anyone who has been sick, and can specifically state what caused my symptoms.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Now these bozos are hyping contact tracing as the most effective way of limiting the spread of Ebola when if a simple travel ban was imposed from the start there would not even be a need for contract tracing.
Are you glued to the TV or something?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Because the citizens of those Ebola-stricken countries look like our President.
This is a scary window on the mindset of this Administration. I know this guy is not in this Administration, but he definitely shares some of the same views:

Author on CNN: "How Dare We Cut Off Liberia," Country Founded By "American Slavery" | Video | RealClearPolitics

Old 10-04-2014, 02:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Hopes, this is what I said.

Depending on how far this spreads we might start seeing different reactions.

Today in Podunk, PA it is no big deal, down the road someone placing a call like that might be getting a knock on the door.

It's not all about YOU. You only seem to relate to anything only if you're impacted directly.

I didn't say anywhere that it was about you. I said "down the road SOMEONE placing a call like that might be getting a knock on the door"...wasn't talking about you...sigh.

You did the same thing on the ISIS thread about this country being attacked, as long as it didn't happen by you it didn't matter.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 PM

372 posts, read 599,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The botched up mess in Dallas has nothing to do with government. That was the hospital and probably local officials.

I do think the CDC should tighten the rules and guidelines concerning travel though.
It is both the hospitals fault and the CDC fault. The CDC JUST now transported the family from the infected building to another place. They allowed the sweat stained sheets and towels stay in the room for days. They took their good old time disinfecting the place. Is this what we called prepared?

Old 10-04-2014, 03:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I would not rely on the CDC to do things correctly. They had at least 5 serious incidents since 2006 and one included smallpox with live virus.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I was walking through my living room while it was playing on TV, but to me he looked like Thomas Frieden with the CDC. I still think the authorities are being so cavalier about this to calm fears to the point where it breeds mistrust from the public and is actually counter-productive. I'm not reassured any time I see them on television making statements about how we cannot restrict travel (of course we can), or how hard it is to get from someone with the virus.

My daughter somehow picked up the idea at school that Ebola spreads like HIV/AIDS. I had to explain how difficult it really is to get HIV. It is blood contact only, like Hep C, but that Ebola actually can be found in other bodily fluids. This kind of disinformation may make kids and adults feel better, but it also may cause complacency. That kind of language is how a man from Liberia and showing symptoms of Ebola can get sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Complacency can be dangerous.
So you're saying it's only possible to get HIV/AIDS from blood contact?
You might want to rethink that opinion.
Your daughter was as correct as one can be given what is known (or at least admitted to) at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events