Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM

249 posts, read 331,357 times

Advertisements

I grew up where we don't have daylight savings time. I don't like it. Leave the clock alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's all a Communist/Socialst/Muslim/Obama/Big Government plot against you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think we are addressing the wrong problem here. The way the earth moves and tilts is the real problem. Let's figure out a way to change that first so we get consistent daylight year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So once again the same,lame excuse used when a vocal minority wants something self serving and silly...
"It's all about the chillllldrrrrren" becomes the mantra.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Definitely new England, I live outside America but i'm much further north than Boston and sun sets before there..

In UK we have standard time for about six months and America 4 months which imo is a waste of time.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Hawaii doesn't observe DST either.
I don't really know why. They should set their clocks an hour ahead.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I hate the semi annual changing of the clocks in the fall and spring.

I would prefer we stay on daylight savings time (meaning hours in the summer). I know Colorado tried to change it a few years ago but the amendment did not pass.

I believe there are still a few states that don't observe DST
Since Indiana is split into two time zones, they used to have some counties observe daylight savings time while others did not

However, that changed in 2006. Now all the counties in Indiana are on the same page.

Indiana’s Time Zones and Daylight Saving Time

Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Since the days of changeover have been changed the proportion is now four months of Standard Time and eight months of Daylight Savings Time. It's really ridiculous if you think about. We might as well just make DST the new Standard Time and stay on it the whole year.

Aside from that issue I actually do like DST. I personally think winter wouldn't feel like winter if it didn't get dark early in the afternoon. It's quite a cozy feeling to me. It's like everybody's in hibernation and doing more things at home. Summer is the opposite. People are still out and about at nine o'clock when it's still somewhat daylight. I like the change in feeling between summer and winter and a big part of that is what time it gets dark in each season.
Yeah thats what I was thinking if your gonna change the clocks for 4 months then why bother??

Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,659 times
It all depends on if you are an early riser or not. I am so I vastly prefer regular, non-DST like Arizona follows. Having lived there, it really didn't cause me all those problems someone listed on the first page.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So the kids are home alone in the morning instead of the afternoon. What's the difference?
No it would still be the afternoon as well if school is getting of at 4 and the parents don't get home for another 1-2+ hours.

I still don't see what the big deal us to have it light another hour in the evening. Most people are commuting home from work during that time. Is seeing the sun set from your car such a great thing? I actually hate driving at that time because you have the sun in your eyes making it difficult to see. I would think there would be more accidents on the road.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
I really wish we could abolish daylight saving time. I loved living in Arizona and not having to worry about changing time and it messing up my body. It really messes my body up hard. I have never been a fan. I would be happy to be on standard time year round. I have also heard the argument that we should just move the clocks ahead 1/2 hour and then call it good for time. No more of time manipulation. I love the quote that I so often read, only a white man thinks cutting off the blanket at the top and then sowing it to the bottom makes it longer. LOL. Hilarious. Stop the madness and abolish time change. Pick a time and stick with it.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Because we don't want to upset the chilllldrrrreeeeeennnnn! They must be catered to,totally protected from any kind of stress or worry from womb to college graduation.
It might be dangerous for the little tykes to be driven or walked to school/bus stop in the twilight of the morning as we ALL know you don't ever let your 15 year old (or younger) walk anywhere much less the bus stop alone!
How did everyone prior to 1980 survive childhood?
very few little chitlins actually take the bus anymore, it's mostly parents driving them because they're too good to take a 'poor people mover', i.e., public transportation, a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events