Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM

249 posts, read 331,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I really wish we could abolish daylight saving time. I loved living in Arizona and not having to worry about changing time and it messing up my body. It really messes my body up hard.
I grew up in Hawaii and experienced the same thing as you. I'm really ritualistic in my sleeping pattern/hours. It was interesting (not sure what word to use) how just one hour would mess me up. I'd feel ill untill I got use to my new sleeping hours. Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I have also heard the argument that we should just move the clocks ahead 1/2 hour and then call it good for time. No more of time manipulation.
That would be perfect! But heaven forbid that our government would do something so simple and user-friendly. I think they strive to complicate what ever they can. They've done that w/ time. That sounds asinine, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
very few little chitlins actually take the bus anymore, it's mostly parents driving them because they're too good to take a 'poor people mover', i.e., public transportation, a bus.
When did this become a bash on children thread?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
very few little chitlins actually take the bus anymore, it's mostly parents driving them because they're too good to take a 'poor people mover', i.e., public transportation, a bus.
Elementary school children do not usually ride the public buses by themselves, and rarely did. Most of these references have been to school buses.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can't leave elementary school age children home alone. You have to arrange day care for them. It's much easier to just have to do it on one end of the day. We're all part of society. Schools have some obligation to be family-friendly. Some single people are very self-centered.
Again that's your problem. Schools are for education, not for free daycare. I think it is sad that we have come to the point where most people seem to consider the public schools to be primarily a daycare service.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-08-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I think it is sad that we have come to the point where most people seem to consider the public schools to be primarily a daycare service.
Who is saying that?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Again that's your problem. Schools are for education, not for free daycare. I think it is sad that we have come to the point where most people seem to consider the public schools to be primarily a daycare service.
And who on this forum, let alone "most" said that?

Any time you deal with kids, you deal with the parents as well. Parents don't like screwy school schedules that require day care on both ends of the day. It would be crazy to take kids to day care at say, 7:30 and then have the day care provider take them to school at 9.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Who is saying that?
You did.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/37190627-post82.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because parents who work a 9-5 schedule are able to get their kids on the bus and off to school before leaving for work when school starts around 8-8:30. When school starts later they have to arrange for before school care for their children. This isn't something that every family would be able to afford, so you would end up having children left home by themselves in the mornings. And I'm taking about elementary aged children, not middle school and high school aged kids who are able to take care of themselves for a few hours in the morning.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
And who on this forum, let alone "most" said that?

Any time you deal with kids, you deal with the parents as well. Parents don't like screwy school schedules that require day care on both ends of the day. It would be crazy to take kids to day care at say, 7:30 and then have the day care provider take them to school at 9.
As a tax payer, thats not my concern. I'm only concerned that they get a good education. Daycare is the parents responsibility. In the summer parents have to pay for daycare from morning to night. Should we keep the kids in school year round so parents don't have to pay for daycare in the summer? IMHO thats not the function of schools. parents should be happy for any work hours that their kids are in school, and they don't have to pay for daycare.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-09-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
You may think you're funny, making fun of people who are concerned about kids, but you're not.

People on this forum are constantly complaining about kids not walking and biking to school any more, and now they're fine with school starting in the dark? And I don't buy this BS that it's actually safer in the dark than after sunrise, and I think there's research to back me up.
Wasn't trying to be funny, I was clearly mocking the constant go to excuse "it's for the children". Given that in the places that don't play spin the clock children are not dying by the bus load and given that nowadays there's as many adults/parents as there are kids at places where kids are shows that sunshine (or lack thereof) does not dictate safety.

I clearly remember in the Atlanta suburbs kids walking to school or waiting for the bus while it was dark because school started so early and they didn't suffer any ill fate.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
As a tax payer, thats not my concern. I'm only concerned that they get a good education. Daycare is the parents responsibility. In the summer parents have to pay for daycare from morning to night. Should we keep the kids in school year round so parents don't have to pay for daycare in the summer? IMHO thats not the function of schools. parents should be happy for any work hours that their kids are in school, and they don't have to pay for daycare.
Kids aren't going to get as good an education if they're being shuttled from home to day care to school to day care to home again. Some weisenheimer suggests that the solution to the problem of kids going to school in the dark during DST is to move back the school day, and the childless posters who for some reason want their hour of daylight at a time of year when there isn't 12 hours of daylight in the evening start dumping on parents.

As for your "slippery slope" argument, that's a logical fallacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events