Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
LOL. For the record, the US government got involved in daylight savings time back in the 1966, to clean up a confusing patchwork of local daylight savings time laws.
But it dates back to World War 2 if not WW1 to help conserve energy. However I don't see the benefit of the modern day usage even before moving to Arizona. Seasonal depression will happen with or without DST so I don't see the difference. If you have to wake up at 4 for work does it really matter if it's dark or at daybreak, you need to be up then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Since our electric bills jumped by 35% Nov. 1st, I am very upset with having to go back to standard time. I need to turn the lights on around 3:30 p.m. and it's dark around 4:30 now! 5 or more hours of having to use the lights at 35% more?? Not happy. I feel really bad for people with all electric houses. How can a utility company up their rates so much? That's just a rhetorical question. I know how. Just need to spout off on it.
Our electric rates go down about 28% in the winter (October-May).

Quote:
How would a 9:30AM - 4:00PM school day be any less family friendly then a 8:30AM - 3:00PM school day?

Anyways, schools aren't supposed to be family friendly. They are just supposed to educate the kids.
Because parents who work a 9-5 schedule are able to get their kids on the bus and off to school before leaving for work when school starts around 8-8:30. When school starts later they have to arrange for before school care for their children. This isn't something that every family would be able to afford, so you would end up having children left home by themselves in the mornings. And I'm taking about elementary aged children, not middle school and high school aged kids who are able to take care of themselves for a few hours in the morning.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, overall, it makes sense. If we stayed on daylight savings time here in Denver, then our sunrise would get to be as late as 8:20 a.m. I could probably deal with it, but then my kids would start out school in almost total darkness.

And if we didn't go on savings time in Spring, then we'd end up with a sunrise of around 4:30 a.m., which would be extremely annoying. Unless you're in the Tropics where the daylight variance is minimal, it makes sense to move the clocks.
Actually, that is what sunrise is in the Chicago area during the peak of the summer and gets dark before 9pm. I am from the Detroit area and I am still not use to this as the sun would set before 10pm in the summer and the sunrise just before six.

I definitely prefer the longer evenings compared to the early mornings.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Our electric rates go down about 28% in the winter (October-May).

Because parents who work a 9-5 schedule are able to get their kids on the bus and off to school before leaving for work when school starts around 8-8:30. When school starts later they have to arrange for before school care for their children. This isn't something that every family would be able to afford, so you would end up having children left home by themselves in the mornings. And I'm taking about elementary aged children, not middle school and high school aged kids who are able to take care of themselves for a few hours in the morning.

So the kids are home alone in the morning instead of the afternoon. What's the difference?

I think the point is that you need to adjust your schedule to the clock. Don't expect society to adjust the clock to your schedule. Because that's just not going to work.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
So the kids are home alone in the morning instead of the afternoon. What's the difference?

I think the point is that you need to adjust your schedule to the clock. Don't expect society to adjust the clock to your schedule. Because that's just not going to work.
You can't leave elementary school age children home alone. You have to arrange day care for them. It's much easier to just have to do it on one end of the day. We're all part of society. Schools have some obligation to be family-friendly. Some single people are very self-centered.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
However, elementary and middle schools sometimes start at 7:30 or even earlier. For dropping off kids or waiting for the bus, the kids might be leaving near 7 am. I remember there were complaints on how early school started by some (including parents), the reason given was having all the schools start at say 8 am would mean not enough buses at once.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, overall, it makes sense. If we stayed on daylight savings time here in Denver, then our sunrise would get to be as late as 8:20 a.m. I could probably deal with it, but then my kids would start out school in almost total darkness.

And if we didn't go on savings time in Spring, then we'd end up with a sunrise of around 4:30 a.m., which would be extremely annoying. Unless you're in the Tropics where the daylight variance is minimal, it makes sense to move the clocks.
There's no way of getting around either of those two. It really doesn't make sense not to change the clocks.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I do not get why people say they do not want to go home in the dark and get u to fresh sunshine.

I work at night,so why do you day shift workers think everyone else that work other shifts have to accommodate YOU?

Nobody ever caters to night shifters.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:22 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I always thought working folks deserve an hour of daylight. I always thought we should stay on DST.
Working folks also work evenings and night too you know

Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I hate the time change and it makes no sense at all. I live in the mountains so it starts getting dusk dark at 4pm during Daylight Standard Time. I would love for Daylight Savings Time to be year around.
I live in another mountainous state that has 2 time zones within it! The southern part of my state would agree with you, and the northern part may not, but since the northern part is almost 500 miles closer to the north pole than the other half, it may also think staying on daylight savings time year round would be a good thing, since the winters up there are always going to be darker than down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events