Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Help,i am a little confused.

Are posters saying we should stay on daylight savings time(which happens in April)
or stay on standard time(which began 2 weeks ago)?

those are 2 different things if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Help,i am a little confused.

Are posters saying we should stay on daylight savings time(which happens in April)
or stay on standard time(which began 2 weeks ago)?

those are 2 different things if you ask me.
The thread is about staying on daylight time year round.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The thread is about staying on daylight time year round.
Yes, DST. Meaning stay on the hours we have in the summertime

Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I don't remember the last time I've heard of any students getting hit in the morning. This is in Atlanta where sunrise can be as late as 8 am and is usually after 7 am except for Summer. Hundreds of thousands of bus riders, 180 days a year, rarely any problems. And you have a bunch of new drivers in high school driving to work in the dark. Usually aren't many problems with that. Kids are more likely to die on the bus while riding to school. Even if you shifted daylight hours earlier, you would have plenty of kids getting off the bus after sunset. That can't be much safer. And you have places far to the north where DST or standard doesn't matter, days are too short to make a difference.
In the morning you only have the people on the road who are going to work. In the afternoon/early evening you have those same people plus the stay at home and especially the elderly. Who do you want driving around your kids in the dark?

Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I'm for it, As long as Arizona stays on Pacific Daylight/Mountain Standard Time. There's no reason to change the clocks in the first place.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Certainly, everyone is correct that there are no hordes of elementary students getting killed by speeding motorists in the dark of the morning. However, the vitriol against parents expressed in this thread is something to behold. I do not think there's any advantage to changing school hours, either.

In regards to DST, I would be fine with either year round DST, or (preferably) year round standard time. It's dark well into the evening in the summer anyway. There's no point in DST in my opinion, when there's not much daylight to save, e.g. when there's less than 12 hrs of daylight in a day.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I do not see the point of it at all. You have the same amount of time either way. How the heck does cutting off an hour at the end of the day and putting it on the start of the day change the amount of day time that you have? Does nothing for me. I remember as a kid thinking how much nicer it was to have more day light at the end of the day. As an adult I prefer it that way as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I do not see the point of it at all. You have the same amount of time either way. How the heck does cutting off an hour at the end of the day and putting it on the start of the day change the amount of day time that you have? Does nothing for me. I remember as a kid thinking how much nicer it was to have more day light at the end of the day. As an adult I prefer it that way as well.
For me it's how my body adjusts to the new time and how I have to deal with it 2 times a year when I think it's unnecessary.

True it's not the end of the world but I think it's unnecessary

Old 11-11-2014, 05:38 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm for it, As long as Arizona stays on Pacific Daylight/Mountain Standard Time. There's no reason to change the clocks in the first place.
I kinda miss Arizona....

Old 11-11-2014, 06:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In the morning you only have the people on the road who are going to work. In the afternoon/early evening you have those same people plus the stay at home and especially the elderly. Who do you want driving around your kids in the dark?
I've noticed this going into work. Only people on the road at 6 am are the ones that are driving to work or are already on the job. Side roads in the afternoon are noticeably busier. At 6 am most not working are asleep, by 4 pm a ton of people are out and about. Including bored high schoolers with 2 months of driving experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events