Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM

165 posts, read 170,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UMMMM, does this mean the D_ummies and R_ats are not going to hold hands and work together for the good of the country????

LOL, it is beyond the point of being a sad joke.
I have long had the impression that none of the two parties is not trying to do something good for the country. The more so they do not do it "holding hands". Our bipartisan and opposite polar system is far from perfect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,801,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You are trying to give credit for the civil right act to the Republicans? Talk about trying to rewrite history. Next you will be claiming that it was a Republican who put a man on the moon.
Well, since I lived that history, I might know. Republicans pushed the bill where the good Democrats Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd among others did all they could to delay and derail the legislation. The final vote was:

Quote:
The original House version:
  • Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
  • Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:
  • Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
  • Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:
  • Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
  • Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:
  • Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
  • Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)
source: Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steele says GOP fought hard for civil rights bills in 1960s | PolitiFact

Yeah, I'd say the Republicans overwhelmingly supported, and pushed through the Civil Rights Act where the Democrats were not quite so supportive. Oh, and Republicans didn't put men on the moon . . . NASA did, of which my dad was a part, as have I for 32 years now.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,967,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
[nonsense about Democratic "successes" deleted]

Meanwhile you couldn't come up with even one thing the Republicans have ever fixed. Republicans are the most epic political failures in the history of the world.
Nixon pulled the U.S. out of Vietnam as soon as feasible. Vietnam, for your information, was planned and instigated by two Democratic presidents (JFK and LBJ) even to the point of lying about the extent of U.S. involvement. Eisenhower and MacArthur warned against ground involvement in Southeast Asia, it should be noted.

Vietnam was possibly the worst mistake of the century for an American leader. It makes Iraq look like a trivial police action by comparison. At the peak, the U.S. had 500,000 soldiers fighting in Vietnam. About 50,000 U.S. soldiers died in that conflict, and hundreds of thousands of others were wounded. To this very day, hundreds of thousands of men suffer PTSD. Millions of Asians died as well, and the land was burned and poisoned.

The financial cost to the U.S. was about $1.5 trillion in today's dollars, but probably much more because we are comparing 1960s gold-backed pre-devalued dollars versus the worthless scrip of today. We are still paying for that war because the interest has compounded and the debts were kicked down the road all through the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s.

Then there was the tremendous psychological damage to an entire generation and to the nation, a trauma from which we have never fully recovered. As one general put it, we lost an entire generation. That damaged, fragile generation is now in full control, the Depression/World War 2 generation now retired and disappearing fast.

As for economics, clearly the temporary budget surplus of the late 1990s was a phenomenon of the high tech bubble which had little to do with Clinton's policies. Indeed the high tech industry had been spurred by Reagan's military buildup of 15 years earlier, and it was the 1994 Republican sweep of Congress that clipped Clinton's wings, prevented HilaryCare from being foisted on the public, and held back anti-business Democrats from wreaking havoc.

As recently as the second Bush term, the economy was in much better shape. Obama came into office and the Democrats swept Congress on an anti-Bush, anti-war wave. They misused the mandate to lock in a gigantic spending mandate in Obamacare, hinder oil and gas exploitation and thus prevent a rebound in employment, and stumbling on the world stage and frittering away hard-fought successes in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In short, the Democrats screwed up, mainly because they have become dominated by a left wing that is far more extreme than the general population, but has been able to rally enough minority and liberal votes to swing the large urban areas. Of course, the Republicans didn't help themselves by putting a series of weak candidates up for vote such as some crackpot Senatorial candidates and less than ideal teams running for President (Romney, Palin). In the smaller towns and across much of the interior of the country, however, Americans are much more conservative as demonstrated by recent state and district-based Congressional elections.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,012,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Why isn't this in the politics section? That's where it should be.
Agreed. We already have a forum where they can call the President all the simian derivatives they choose. It would be nice to contain it over there, and have actual discussions here.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Agreed. We already have a forum where they can call the President all the simian derivatives they choose. It would be nice to contain it over there, and have actual discussions here.
Isn't "Current Events" a relevant place to discuss a current event?

And this seems like an actual discussion to me; not too many simian references flying back and forth.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,012,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Isn't "Current Events" a relevant place to discuss a current event?

And this seems like an actual discussion to me; not too many simian references flying back and forth.
This is a good forum, and IMO it's nice to keep the partisan bickering out of it. It's devolved already - intelligent, well thought out posts like yours notwithstanding.

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...political.html

Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This is a good forum, and IMO it's nice to keep the partisan bickering out of it. It's devolved already - intelligent, well thought out posts like yours notwithstanding.

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...political.html
I see what you mean. Then this thread ought to be moved to the Elections forum, I guess.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,315,306 times
This is the political forum?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,214,393 times
I don't understand all of the animosity in the thread. both parties are worthless as far as im concerned. might as well pack up and leave the states at this point. before you flame me, I pretty much know what your responses will be:

right: don't let the door hit you on the way out, un-American scum! have fun with your circle jerk with ISIS

left: not before we tax you first

Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM

283 posts, read 376,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Malaise.

And the hostage screwup.. Took all of 20 minutes after he was out of office for the hostages to be released.

Which is totally not fair to say, but there it is. kinda just waiting to see who the first idiot who doesn't read that part is and replies back in detail about why they were released 20 minutes after Reagan was sworn in.
Some would say differently: JIMMY CARTER AND THE IRANIAN HOSTAGE CRISIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events