Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman
Actually, I've written a few times that nobody is talking about people with celiac disease. In fact, you've even had to apologize to someone else in this thread for confusing what we're discussing. And yet, in your very next post, you immediately switch to discussing "food intolerance." So you bizarrely are hopping in between ranting about celiac disease and ranting about non-celiac disease and deliberately confusing the two and trying to act like everyone is against you.

Not sure why you think I am "deliberately confusing the two" when I posted the following previously. Perhaps you missed it? Again, people are perfectly capable of discussing related topics on a thread without devolving into confusion. From this post you seem oddly concerned with perceived misconceptions about my C-D behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Are you intentionally lumping Celiac in with gluten sensitivity? They are very different...one is a disease and the other is a condition...and always have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
pretty sure pubicly calling someone out for being a troll is frowned upon on CD too.
Stackhouse, I did check the C-D Terms of Service https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html and found this:

"Hate speech
, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited."

So I guess I shouldn't be quoting Cuckooman's post or talking to him if I consider his inflammatory post suggesting people serve normal food while calling it GF as trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:48 AM

172 posts, read 159,035 times
You know, by writing hysterically that you consider my suggestion of serving normal food to people at a party as "hate speech," you're just making yourself look more hysterical.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
I know it seems ridiculous even though it is important. Wheat and corn are in quite a few meds. Wheat and corn are used for coating and fillers. A headache would be the least of my problems if I ingest even small amounts of hidden gluten and corn. I am not celiac. I can only imagine how horrible gluten is for them.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I notice they have a big section at the grocery store also. The uninformed probably think its health food or the newest weight loss breakthrough.
There are books on the market telling you that gluten is the sole cause of overweight, insanity, ALL health problems, poverty, police brutality, you name it. Gluten is the pit bull of foods, right now -- a source of unreasoned terror.

But the fact is that a lot of people are allergic to it even if they don't have celiac disease. Having a section of the grocery store with gluten-free foods is a blessing for those people.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
You know, by writing hysterically that you consider my suggestion of serving normal food to people at a party as "hate speech," you're just making yourself look more hysterical.
Please stop your odd fascination with perceived misconceptions about my C-D behavior. I did not write that your comment was "hate speech". I was replying to Stackhouse and directed my reply to him/her.

I merely verbatim quoted the C-D ToS that applies to trolling in response to Stackhouse's post to me which I also quoted for clarity. If you've read the ToS you will see that the boldface is C-D's, not mine. I even provided the link to make it easy. People often respond to more than one post in a single reply.

What I did write was that I considered your comment inflammatory. I wrote: "So I guess I shouldn't be quoting Cuckooman's post or talking to him if I consider his inflammatory post suggesting people serve normal food while calling it GF as trolling."

Old 12-15-2014, 12:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
I was at a funeral in August. We were all sitting sobbing our guts out when the priest invited everyone, not just church members, to come up to take communion "because we are all God's children." At that moment, the mourner next to me pointed solemnly to the program in my lap, that announced "WE HAVE GLUTEN-FREE WAFERS." That was a badly-needed laugh, I'll tell you.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Soya sauce, bragging about being "gluten free"
and then comes the kicker: SALT 40%%%%%

Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
Normal food made me laugh. I have no idea any more what normal food is. We are a family of many nutritional preferences; gluten free, vegan, lactose free, and paleo.

Perhaps we are Abby Normal.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
That's how it always is, lol. It's like "yeah, I ate gluten without any problem for 50 years, and now all of a sudden I can't." Notice how it can "get worse," "can't be tested for," and can cause any variety of symptoms that the person wants? Doesn't that sound ...odd?

I've had the signs for celiac for over 30 years but no one thought to have me tested for celiac disease.

I spend the first 40 years of my life being severely underweight, fighting migraines, IBS, extreme intestinal bloating, until I turned 40 and the weight loss turned into weight gain and the IBS, bloating, and migraines hospitalized me.

I think if you talk with anyone with celiac or a gluten intolerance, you'll find that they lived around the symptoms and at least for me, it changed my life when I was diagnosed.

Finally I'm a normal weight even though I've been an athlete and marathon runner most of my life.

I can eat without feeling like my stomach was exploding.

This is my last comment on this topic.

I think your name fits you well.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, it's an acknowledged fact. Of all the babies I know who had a milk allergy as babies only one is still allergic as an older child. Paediatricians know this.
But yet people will think that they weren't true allergies or it is just some silly ploy. They don't know and don't care to know Just take a sampling off of this thread who think there is a placebo effect with gluten issues. Is there some, sure but there's enough who have true issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events