Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Amen!! We need to break the establishment's stranglehold on power, and replace them with folks who hold libertarian beliefs.

Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
North Korea...
I think the point was even a lame dictatorship like that place does better than the vaunted United States in this area. I can't ingest a plant on occasion inside my home where I do absolutely no harm to another soul? Cannabis is rated the same as Heroin and rated WORSE than Meth and Crack by our illustrious FDA and DEA? Well, that's just revolting. North Korea is better than the US in this area, yes.

Proposed Amendment to the Constitution:
Quote:
Congress, or the States, shall not imprison any citizen as punishment for a crime that neither violates nor directly threatens the right of another individual.
Quote:
I'm not a person who has to alter my consciousness so the concept of even WANTING to do so with ANYTHING is ludicrous to me and I have no respect whatsoever for anybody who does.
^This right here. This is ignorance, this is hubris.

What makes you think your consciousness is anything like anybody else's consciousness in the first place? Do you even know what consciousness is? How do you define it?

Altering consciousness appears to be something fairly universal and ingrained. Children alter their consciousness. Non-human animals do. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years all over the world. There are hypotheses that it conferred a survival benefit, that those who had practiced shifting their perspectives had a greater ability to adapt and innovate.

The gateway drug is being a little kid and spinning around until you get really dizzy and experience the world tilting-tilting-tilting.

All of our perceptions, feelings, and the integration of the disparate parts of our minds are caused by the action of little endogenous drugs we call neurotransmitters. Our brains are like little self-contained ant colonies composed of millions of ants passing messages chemically between each other. We are machines programmed by a really cool complex and extensible code and composed of many different types of self-replicating molecules.

Our consciousness is subtley altered moment to moment.

Using certain exogenous molecules, we can temporarily cause a slight shift in how our neurotransmitters operate, which can temporarily grant us the ability to view our internal "selves" and the external world from a different perspective. Many people have found this type of experience captivating, revealing, reassuring, and wondrous.

I seek to alter my perceptions and therefore my perspective in some way pretty much every day. Sometimes that is through a change in scenery. Sometimes through meditation. Sometimes through deep introspection. Sometimes through trying something new or learning something new. Sometimes it is unaugmented by any exogenous molecules. Sometimes it is augmented to some extent. It is all part of the neural soup each of us exists in. The continuum. Altering consciousness for a brief time with something we add to the mix is not a bane, it's a boon.

I have the utmost respect for those who are students of consciousness and bold enough to undertake the process of altering it in the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom. The only thing I have no respect for is your lack of respect.

Universal Declaration of Mental Rights and Freedoms:
Quote:
We hold this truth: That all human beings are created differently.
That every human being has the right to be mentally free and independent. That every human being has the right to feel, see, hear, sense, imagine, believe or experience anything at all, in any way, at any time. That every human being has the right to behave in any way that does not harm others or break fair and just laws. That no human being shall be subjected without consent to incarceration, restraint, punishment or psychological or medical intervention in an attempt to control, repress or alter the individual's thoughts, feelings or experiences.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Posting this for anyone interested in keeping up with news around various drugs:

Drugs-Forum News

Great active news portal in several categories including Culture, Health, Justice / Law, MM, Miscellaneous, Politics, and Weird News.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Four arrested after police stop turns into melee in Delray Beach, police said - Sun Sentinel

Well, maybe we should just make it so that blacks cannot be arrested by the police when they are committing crimes?
I'm sure over time they will stop feeling "oppressed" and will start getting along swimmingly with everyone else.
I'm sure over time it will be legal all over. Im thinking these people were just standing up against the criminalization of smoking a plant. Sort of how people "went against the grain" during the prohibition era. Look how that turned out.

Or maybe I am way off the mark and these people should just move to Colorado.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 AM

741 posts, read 915,070 times
Quote:
I didn't make a case for or against pot but you just LEAPED to that conclusion since I mocked you citing North Korea. Because, I guess: OMG THREATENING MY STASH!

I'm not a person who has to alter my consciousness so the concept of even WANTING to do so with ANYTHING is ludicrous to me and I have no respect whatsoever for anybody who does.

NOW.

HAHAHA using the word "freedom" referring to North Korea, one of the worst countries in the entire world.

The fact that you PRAISE NORTH KOREA for having pot offered practically FREE to the masses says it all. Do I HAVE TO spell it out for you?

How do you think they keep them in line? Well, besides starvation and torture.

Keep smoking. That's how congress got away with cutting your FULL TIME JOB from 40 hours to 30. Oh wait. That's probably a good thing, right?

Pot heads only care about one thing. POT.

ie "FREEDOM is a mindless mantra"?

I don't think South Korea thought that when AMERICA saved them from the North Korean invasion where 3 million people died.

More guns? One of the ONLY LIMITED POWERS the federal government was granted constitutionally was to PROTECT the citizens.

NOT TO GIVE STUPID FREE BIRTH CONTROL, for example.

And if you were actually educated about it, you'd realize it's not the government's job to be regulating POT, marriage, or practically anything else either and make that case. But you don't. Because you rather go for the drama and personal attacks.
Can you ever make a post that isn't full of raving tangents?

How embarassing that you typed that whole diatribe without even bothering to notice I wasn't the person who mentioned North Korea. Its obvious by the way you communicate that you don't feel the same sense of shame that a normally socialized human being does when he embarrasses himself, but seriously. The partisan doubletalk demolishes your credibility as far as ever considering you might have any insight that isn't just prattling the partisan talking points memos.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Ok, what if I get a bunch of people together who think that human trafficing, pedophelia, rape, and murder are ok? Would you support me for defending myself? Or are in favor of selective enforcement? We can't pick and choose what laws to obey without consequences. Even if we all agree they are stupid laws. As we evolve as a society, the laws will change accordingly

I understand your argument. In the meantime hopefully the internet stays free so that those who do support ending the war on drugs can continue to post videos and express their opinions. Jury nullification would be handy but there are still too many people who you might call "sheep" to get that working.

There's a balancing act.. you don't want people too revolutionary that they are supporting breaking up the US or full fledged anarchy. The point is moot anyways since the war on drugs is here to stay for probably another 50 years... except maybe with marijuana. Tobacco will replace marijuana as being illegal and we'll see people with 5 year prison sentences for smoking.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I understand your argument. In the meantime hopefully the internet stays free so that those who do support ending the war on drugs can continue to post videos and express their opinions. Jury nullification would be handy but there are still too many people who you might call "sheep" to get that working.

There's a balancing act.. you don't want people too revolutionary that they are supporting breaking up the US or full fledged anarchy. The point is moot anyways since the war on drugs is here to stay for probably another 50 years... except maybe with marijuana. Tobacco will replace marijuana as being illegal and we'll see people with 5 year prison sentences for smoking.

In regards to jury nullification, I can say this... don't let me be a jury member for someone busted for cannabis. Not guilty will be my vote. As for tobacco being made illegal, I don't see that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events