Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
So stop committing crimes and you won't get arrested. Well now, that was easy. Next.
Exactly. (well, if you are a middle class White, go ahead and put out that joint. Just don't let us catch you doing it again.)

And therein lies the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
The law is (or, at least should be) black and white. I disagree that we need more discretion on the police level. We need to change our laws, yes. But I don't agree that the police should decide whom to arrest, and whom not to, if there is evidence of a crime.
Except for the fact that even in Florida, SMOKING or possession (less than 20g) is simply a misdemeanor... so the "perp" wasn't even being arrested, they just stopped to question him. Not that it matters, just wanted to clear up that little detail.

Also, police officers have always been free to exercise their personal discretion - especially when it comes to misdemeanors, minor infractions, traffic stops, or legal "gray areas." If you took a poll of how many people have been pulled over, but NOT issued a citation (even when they were guilty), I'm sure the numbers would be quite high. Even with things like marijuana, how often do they let people go with a warning? Happened to me at least a couple of times before I was legal, lol. So while I don't think they should necessarily use MORE discretion, I also believe some of that is a good thing... provided it's applied either totally randomly or equally, which unfortunately isn't always the case.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
this is not about police misconduct.
its a rebellion against current law and order. civilians and police being murdered to intimidate the populous.
civil rights progress is being set back 60 years.
these are not peaceful protests.
boko haram has come to america.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In some parts of the SF Bay Area, people commonly will smoke weed in public, nobody actually cares. Even the cops have better things to do.

In places where people would still get hysterical about it ... that's what edibles are for.
Hehe.

Most of us (Bay Area smokers) are legal, thanks to Prop 215 - but the cops don't bother asking for the Rx or even stopping, if you're just casually toking one on the street. Especially now that it's decriminalized for recreational use, and legal for medical use, they definitely have better things to do. Gawd, you couldn't pay me enough to live in a place where they still consider this a major crime! Even if I didn't partake, the whole idea of that is just ludicrous IMO.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
While I think it is tragic for the upstanding citizens who need protection, the police have lost their moral capital and the authority that goes with it in many parts of this country due in large part to their own actions. Especially where petty crimes like pot smoking are concerned.

While some crimes may be petty, the LEO's are still charged to enforce the laws no matter how petty they may be. In the Garner case, it boiled down to losing out on the city collecting taxes. Should police make physical arrests for such "petty crimes"? If not, then the law needs to be changed to where citations are issued. The same could be said for possession of pot for personal use(i.e. not a dope dealer) just like some cities/states allow LEO's to issue citations rather than make a physical arrest. So don't blame the LEO's, get the lawmakers to change the way they enforce the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...
Correct

When you consider how many people there are in this country (approximately 300 million) vs. the number of times LEO's step over the line in dealing with suspects, the numbers are very small. It is only the complicit media who wishes to stir up trouble all for the noble purpose of increasing ratings.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 PM

548 posts, read 816,155 times
>"While some crimes may be petty, the LEO's are still charged to enforce the laws no matter how petty they may be."

Of course in practice, this doesn't happen. I probably drive past a police car while going faster than the speed limit on that road at least once every single day. It's pretty routine for traffic on a posted 55mph freeway to move at an even 70mph here, while a state trooper or city cop sits on the shoulder with a radar gun pulling no one over for quite a long time. When you notice the cars they _do_ choose out of the many that pass by over the limit, the drivers are very disproportionately non-white, and clearly they're more likely to pull over an old van or a muscle car or beat up car than say, a late model Toyota sedan. Jaywalking or littering are even worse in terms of really never being cited unless a cop is looking for something to hit someone with; normally they are completely ignored if done right in front of an officer.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 PM

741 posts, read 914,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Even with things like marijuana, how often do they let people go with a warning? Happened to me at least a couple of times before I was legal, lol. So while I don't think they should necessarily use MORE discretion, I also believe some of that is a good thing... provided it's applied either totally randomly or equally, which unfortunately isn't always the case.
Right. Congrats for being a white guy. 9 times of 10, you will be on the right side of 'officer discretion' presuming you are 'respectful'.

The comically perverted system of "MAKE EVERYTHING ILLEGAL BUT OFFICER DISCRETION WILL SORT OUT THE GOOD FROM THE BAD" basically means that old white guys never get tickets for anything, while all black people not only get tickets but impounded cars, mugshots in the newspaper, etc, etc, etc.... over trivialities.

It comes as no shock to see some communities finally crossing the tipping point as far as the ridiculous police abuse that routinely occurs in this country considering that 'officer discretion' often hinges on the opinions of someone who not a month before graduating their 4 month 'police academy' was making Whoppers at Burger King.

Having black friends and hearing the stories- then, one time, seeing it for myself- is what changed my opinion on this from naive white guy who always got 'warnings' to a guy who realized that this entire apparatus of society known as 'law enforcement' is like a dog that no longer serves its master, only its own impulses, and its categorized entire large groups of people as enemies.

For whatever problems black culture has (and there are definitely some), for whatever disorder and annoyance those same dysfunctions cause, they don't scare me nearly as bad as the cultural corruption of many of our nations polce forces.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Is beating the crap out of him a terroristic threat, or are you another police officer to whom the laws don't apply? Were you really part of the human chain, or just fantasizing?
Yes I was there. Didn't you see me in the crowd?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
>"While some crimes may be petty, the LEO's are still charged to enforce the laws no matter how petty they may be."

Of course in practice, this doesn't happen. I probably drive past a police car while going faster than the speed limit on that road at least once every single day. It's pretty routine for traffic on a posted 55mph freeway to move at an even 70mph here, while a state trooper or city cop sits on the shoulder with a radar gun pulling no one over for quite a long time. When you notice the cars they _do_ choose out of the many that pass by over the limit, the drivers are very disproportionately non-white, and clearly they're more likely to pull over an old van or a muscle car or beat up car than say, a late model Toyota sedan. Jaywalking or littering are even worse in terms of really never being cited unless a cop is looking for something to hit someone with; normally they are completely ignored if done right in front of an officer.
Your point is what, that LEO's can be selective.
Here is a news flash, they are human beings, not robots. Furthermore they cannot stop every speeding car nor cite every jaywalker. When speeding is identified as a problem in certain areas, they are sent out to those areas. The same is true of jaywalking. Try jaywalking in Honolulu and see how quickly you will get a ticket, or even arrested. You want to know why? Because all sorts of people were getting injured and killed, so they got strict with enforcement.

They are there to enforce the law, and if you don't care for the law, don't blame them, blame the legislators who pass them.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:54 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Right. Congrats for being a white guy. 9 times of 10, you will be on the right side of 'officer discretion' presuming you are 'respectful'.

The comically perverted system of "MAKE EVERYTHING ILLEGAL BUT OFFICER DISCRETION WILL SORT OUT THE GOOD FROM THE BAD" basically means that old white guys never get tickets for anything, while all black people not only get tickets but impounded cars, mugshots in the newspaper, etc, etc, etc.... over trivialities.

It comes as no shock to see some communities finally crossing the tipping point as far as the ridiculous police abuse that routinely occurs in this country considering that 'officer discretion' often hinges on the opinions of someone who not a month before graduating their 4 month 'police academy' was making Whoppers at Burger King.

Having black friends and hearing the stories- then, one time, seeing it for myself- is what changed my opinion on this from naive white guy who always got 'warnings' to a guy who realized that this entire apparatus of society known as 'law enforcement' is like a dog that no longer serves its master, only its own impulses, and its categorized entire large groups of people as enemies.

For whatever problems black culture has (and there are definitely some), for whatever disorder and annoyance those same dysfunctions cause, they don't scare me nearly as bad as the cultural corruption of many of our nations polce forces.

All this outrage at police officers, and yet nobody is upset at the lawmakers who made pot illegal in the first place, and who continuously outlaw, restrict, and regulate anything and everything.

Should spice (and MJ, for that matter) really be illegal? If so, what gives government the right to outlaw or regulate it?
Should you be allowed to possess and consume MJ without jumping through the hoops of getting a medical card?

Don't be mad at the cops, be mad at the politicians who criminalized pot and who made police officers enforce the laws against marijuana.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 01-07-2015 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events