Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 AM

165 posts, read 169,899 times

Advertisements

Four arrested after police stop turns into melee in Delray Beach, police said - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
A group of people formed a human shield to keep police officers from a man who police wanted to detain Saturday in a neighborhood. "The next thing they know, there's 70 to 75 people out there," Sgt. Nicole Guerriero said. "The officers had to use pepper spray to get the people back."
Well, maybe we should just make it so that blacks cannot be arrested by the police when they are committing crimes?
I'm sure over time they will stop feeling "oppressed" and will start getting along swimmingly with everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
While I think it is tragic for the upstanding citizens who need protection, the police have lost their moral capital and the authority that goes with it in many parts of this country due in large part to their own actions. Especially where petty crimes like pot smoking are concerned.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
While I think it is tragic for the upstanding citizens who need protection, the police have lost their moral capital and the authority that goes with it in many parts of this country due in large part to their own actions. Especially where petty crimes like pot smoking are concerned.
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...

Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,446,832 times
IF 70 people were throwing bricks, blocking or pushing the police then there should have been 70 arrests. Why not?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,116,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't buy that. I think people are using the VERY few instances where police have gone overboard, and used that as an excuse to become animals. And the media is perpetuating the entire wave...
The media thrives on this sort of things. How boring it would be for them if there was harmony and no race wars? They'll be out of a job. Of course they will be at the forefront whipping the ignorant villagers into a frenzy. The crazier the better! It's party time for the press.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:14 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,508,572 times
I really wish they didn't get violent..otherwise I would have totally supported them in forming a human shield to prevent someone from getting arrested for smoking some ****in' weed. He was just walking down the road smoking a joint. WHO. CARES. In Florida no less, where the majority of the citizens in November wanted to legalize the damn thing. Sucks they had to get violent.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I really wish they didn't get violent..otherwise I would have totally supported them in forming a human shield to prevent someone from getting arrested for smoking some ****in' weed. He was just walking down the road smoking a joint. WHO. CARES. In Florida no less, where the majority of the citizens in November wanted to legalize the damn thing. Sucks they had to get violent.
Because, as of now, it is illegal there. One does not get to pick and choose which laws to obey. Well, actually, one CAN choose, but must accept the consequences of said choices..

Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,139,705 times
Quote:
That's a pretty big claim. Especially since we have 25% of the WORLD's prison population and by far the highest percentage incarcerated.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's a pretty big claim. Especially since we have 25% of the WORLD's prison population and by far the highest percentage incarcerated.
I don't view that as police going overboard. I view that as police doing their job and arresting people who are in violation of the laws. In that specific regard, the police are doing the best job of any police force in the world, by arresting such a large percentage of criminals.

Now, should some of the laws be changed, specifically marijuana laws, as that pertains to this thread? I believe they should. But at the current time, the laws are in place, and the police have the responsibility to arrest those in violation of those laws. I am not saying the laws are right, I'm saying the police are right to do their job.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,139,705 times
Quote:
I don't view that as police going overboard. I view that as police doing their job and arresting people who are in violation of the laws. In that specific regard, the police are doing the best job of any police force in the world, by arresting such a large percentage of criminals.

So your assuming that our incarceration rate is in fact a result of our criminal population. What factors do you think we have here in America that make more people criminals?

Also, why do we still have some of the most violent neighborhoods in the developed world if our justice system is working so effectively?

Now, should some of the laws be changed, specifically marijuana laws, as that pertains to this thread? I believe they should. But at the current time, the laws are in place, and the police have the responsibility to arrest those in violation of those laws. I am not saying the laws are right, I'm saying the police are right to do their job.
I agree with you somewhat about Police doing their job. We disagree about discretion. There seems to be many people who feel the same way and are starting to get fed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events