Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Don't forget that obits are usually written by family members or the executor of the estate who has to publish the death notice in at least 2 newspapers.
Where is that rule from? A friend of mine just passed in Sept. and there were no death notices as she didn't want one...one or both of her sons were executor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
My obit will be very much like my MIL's:

Mr. {John} Galaxy died {month, day, year understaood}.
He was predeceased by his family.
He is survived by {my spouse}.
He had no childen.
He lived, he died.
At his request, a private funeral will be held.
No visiting hours.
If you really wish, donate in his memory to a charity of your choice.
His favorite charity was the Food Bank of {county}.

Even THAT would be longer than my MIL's!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl
Don't forget that obits are usually written by family members or the executor of the estate who has to publish the death notice in at least 2 newspapers.
Where is that rule from? A friend of mine just passed in Sept. and there were no death notices as she didn't want one...one or both of her sons were executor.

Simple: There has to be "public notification" of a death, preferably in the newspaper. That is so ANYONE who may have a claim against the estate will be "notified of the death" and can proceed accordingly.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,134,319 times
It was perhaps poor in taste, but certainly not outrageous. It's not as if it read: "known around town as a 'sure thing' in her youth -- and rumored to be able to suck a billiard ball through a garden hose -- she was famed for stating that her sole regret in life was not having the pleasure of strangling the life from the newly born young of a certain mammalian species."

Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Absolutely shocked somebody got away with such a disgusting obit. Glad to see others joined in the ridicule and offered their own obits in the same light.

Mind would read:
Extremely thin in her youth she gained weight after multiple surgeries and long recoveries.
Still she had a successful career as business owner and landscape designer. She was generally respected and liked even though she frequently was seen around town in dirty jeans and sweaty glow with dirt under her finger nails and mud on her shoes. She had her Alzheimer's stricken mother in her family home for more than 10 years but this made her grumpy and sometimes unsociable. She used to give wonderful parties but had to stop after her mother stripped down naked in the middle of a party because her favorite appetizer was gone. Besides that she was a good mother, a tolerant wife and lived a full life.

Addicting Info – She Was A Best Selling Author And Neuroscientist And This Is How They Chose To WriteHer Obituary?
You left out: and she had the time to write almost 28K posts on life on City-Data! RIP, No Kudzu.
ROFLM skinny ass O (weightloss surgery survivor).

Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I want mine to read:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Mine will say:

"I did it MY way"

Also, my headstone will say---this property paid in full

I wanted my father's headstone to say "damn the torpeados, full speed ahead" but the VA said it was too long, and wouldn't approve the word Damn

Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Mine would be short and to the point. Born:1964 Died 2064 on his 100th birthday. Shot, in bed, by a jealous husband. RIP.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:09 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Tombstone: This is just a minor setback

Obit insert croaked for passed away as I hate soft language

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I agree. I really never understood what the point of obituaries are. When someone dies, their family and friends find out relatively soon. Who else would or should care enough to read about their life and how many family members are still alive?
The point of an obituary is to sum up and remind you of a life that you have some familiarity with but are not so closely associated with that you know all about them.

For example, I hadn't given Colleen McCullough a moment's thought in at least two decades. However, I greatly enjoyed her work and read about her life with interest, once it had been pointed out to me in an obituary that she had died.

I sincerely hope her obit was intended to be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events