Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

I'd guess...and hope to be correct...that it was written that way for those who personally knew the relevance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would write: I am not dead. I am explaining the thermodynamics and quantum nature of ice giants to Odin when I am not enjoying blonds and beer.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Now this is rich

Obituaries for Men - The Washington Post

More

http://www.theguardian.com/books/aus...-churlish-obit

"Obit was written some years ago by man who has since died himself" Would love to see HIS obit.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
"Anyone remember (my name)? She had two husbands (not at the same time) and five sons and managed to survive. She had open heart surgery and survived. She had surgery for colon cancer and survived. As a teen, she taught herself to crochet and spent some of the happiest times of her life hooking. During the course of her working life, she held numerous jobs - frequently concurrently. She was a single Mom twice and didn't think she'd survive! Late in life, it was discovered she had a talent for comedy and could be seen in local theaters making people laugh. She appeared in many plays when the character called for an "elderly" woman; because she was the only "elderly" woman who could remember all the lines. The one thing she couldn't survive was Life - she died yesterday. She is survived by her five sons, their wives, their children, and her coterie of devoted fan."

Old 01-31-2015, 09:19 AM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Absolutely shocked somebody got away with such a disgusting obit. Glad to see others joined in the ridicule and offered their own obits in the same light.

Mind would read:
Extremely thin in her youth she gained weight after multiple surgeries and long recoveries.
Still she had a successful career as business owner and landscape designer. She was generally respected and liked even though she frequently was seen around town in dirty jeans and sweaty glow with dirt under her finger nails and mud on her shoes. She had her Alzheimer's stricken mother in her family home for more than 10 years but this made her grumpy and sometimes unsociable. She used to give wonderful parties but had to stop after her mother stripped down naked in the middle of a party because her favorite appetizer was gone. Besides that she was a good mother, a tolerant wife and lived a full life.

Addicting Info – She Was A Best Selling Author And Neuroscientist And This Is How They Chose To Write Her Obituary?
Would you send the link where this was actually posted? I tried Snopes but I don't have enough to go on. Without the link, I don't believe it.

Personally, I wouldn't have an obit written. No need as appropriate people will be notified. My parents had services and basic obits written by me but that was for their mass of friends and my siblings.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Don't forget that obits are usually written by family members or the executor of the estate who has to publish the death notice in at least 2 newspapers. That person given the job to do so didn't like her, was jealous, or just didn't care. That's why we SHOULD ALL write our own obits and leave them with our papers when we die. Oh, and make sure you have a really good Executor who actually loves you. You may want to mention that you wrote something you'd like to have them use and threaten them with ghostly nightly visits if they don't publish it... just for added impetus to follow your instructions!!
I gotta wonder if it's State dependent. My dad's lawyer didn't say a thing about posting an obit. I think I did have to put some sort of non-obit notice in for him (cheaply).

One sibling wrote an obit for my dad and had it posted in her local paper. I did the same for him in my local paper but never again. I'll verify your statement as we have an appt. shortly with a lawyer about what we need in this state when we die - Trust, POA, and everything else.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was just wondering yesterday what I'll put in my mom's obit, or say at her funeral. IF there is either. She refuses to do any estate planning and says she has the money to pay for her own funeral But really, what do you say about someone who has been difficult, annoying, a burden to everyone around her from about age 50 on, who's only accomplishment is that she hoarded up her house with crap, seems to not care one bit about me, has never contacted me in my adult life unless she directly wanted something, ignored my in my childhood, made me feel bad for earning a college degree and tells me I'm going to hell? Really... what to you say?? Personally, I'm at the point where I don't even want to deal with the aftermath when she dies. And she has no other family. "Oh, she's dead? Thanks for letting me know. Do what you want with her".
I have the same problem but I will have the last word on it. Relish in this fact!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times
Mine will be written in epic poem form, like the Aeneid perhaps.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Extremely rude...obits are meant to convey the important and perhaps lasting aspects of a person. So they focus on ACCOMPLISHMENTS - career and family. Not something ephemeral and trivial like appearances. And to state the trivial while ignoring or downplaying her real accomplishments is insulting, and given Australian culture - sexist.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Now this is rich

Obituaries for Men - The Washington Post

More

#MyOzObituary: Colleen McCullough fans mock obituary in the Australian | Books | The Guardian

"Obit was written some years ago by man who has since died himself" Would love to see HIS obit.
I was just coming here to post that WaPo link!

And to the people who think it was ok, you really don't think it's a problem to remember the life of a world famous, best selling author of millions and millions of books, who also happened to be a neurophysiologist, by focusing on her appearance and whether she was attractive to men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events