Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:32 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

I love animals but I will not stand for a barking dog that destroys my peace of living quiet life. Sorry. I've called cops and animal control on people who have no clue on how to live in a common society. She got what she deserved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Cat person here. I admit I know nothing about dogs but if one barks all day doesn't that mean there is a problem that should be fixed? I posted earlier about the guy whose dog was left in his back yard which faced my bedroom. This dog barked all the time because it suffered from anxiety separation from it's owner. The owner eventually did something about it because after the neighbors threatened to have the city remove the dog the problem was fixed.

Wouldn't a conscientious pet owner want to see if there was a problem the dog was having and fix the problem? I have had behavioral problems with my cats over the years and that's the first thing I would do. Likewise friends who have dogs have done the same. In fact, I have a friend who trains terriers to behave and that includes barking issues.

If my ever one of my cats started behaving badly the first thing I would do is try and find out if there was a reason. There always was. The problems were solved. Yes, cats can be trained. Cats are just clever enough to trick people into thinking they can't.

If people can't handle their pets and their pets problems especially to the extent where the problems disturb others, the pet owners shouldn't have these animals in the first place.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Dude, it's a f***n' dog! Guess what? Dogs bark! My next door neighbor had a rather large dog, half shepherd, half dane and while he was well trained, and very friendly, he did his fair share of barking. It was mostly at other neighborhood dogs! So what? He died 2 days after Christmas, and quite frankly I miss hearing him bark! It was almost like he was our pet too! Killing someone elses pet over a minor annoyance such as barking is a bit extreme!
This is a myth.

Well behaved dogs do NOT bark. Even at other animals.

I had a mixed cocker spaniel that was given to me for my 18th birthday. Stray, was found by a friend of the family. Nobody claimed the animal. Come to find out it's housebroken, but seemed to have been abused in getting it trained because it would whimper when it needed to go to the bathroom and it was inside, while sitting by the rear door. If you didn't open the door for it, it would do the business wherever and whimper louder. Usually means the dog was beaten for its trouble. Smart enough to climb on the kitchen counter and yank your burrito down (LOL at my friend's reaction...."...a piece of tortilla").

As a house pet, it would never bark UNLESS someone rang the doorbell, and only then to alert one of us if we didn't hear the bell. Would immediately stop when it saw one of us come down the stairs. Even if I was walking or driving home, even if strangers were about, even if other animals were about. With other animals it would just growl under its breath, but not bark. Even if nobody was home, you would never know I had a dog unless you rang the doorbell, and even then it's moot because nobody's home to do anything about it.

If your dog is barking just by being out in the backyard, something's wrong.
If your dog is barking loudly just by seeing another dog, something's wrong.
If your dog is barking as you walk it, something's wrong.

People think barking is normal. It's not. It's a reaction; the dog is trying to tell you something. If you leave the dog alone and it barks incessantly, it's got separation anxiety, and you need to cure that.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I haven't read the WHOLE thread but a lot of it and I have to do something else but, a barking dog would drive me crazy. I am also sensitive to noise when I sleep and I have been awakened by dogs in the neighborhood. I love dogs but hate the incessant or prolonged barking.

There must be some reason as to why she has ignored all contacts. Its possible she is suffering from dementia or something. More facts should be known before judgement is made, IMO.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
This is a myth.

Well behaved dogs do NOT bark. Even at other animals.

[snip]

As a house pet, it would never bark UNLESS someone rang the doorbell, and only then to alert one of us if we didn't hear the bell. Would immediately stop when it saw one of us come down the stairs. Even if I was walking or driving home, even if strangers were about, even if other animals were about. With other animals it would just growl under its breath, but not bark. Even if nobody was home, you would never know I had a dog unless you rang the doorbell, and even then it's moot because nobody's home to do anything about it.

[snip]

People think barking is normal. It's not. It's a reaction; the dog is trying to tell you something. If you leave the dog alone and it barks incessantly, it's got separation anxiety, and you need to cure that.
Exactly. That is why dog barking is different than roosters crowing, cows mooing, goats "baying" or whatever, horses naying, etc.

A little barking, okay. However if the barking is for "protection," as I've been told before when complaining, then why does it bark at EVERYTHING, including at me when I've lived here for 7-odd years? How come no one checks outside when it does so?

Our 2, they are almost always silent. People whom they know, they're silent. People or cars they don't know, they do bark, until I show up--then they typically stop, or upon me telling them to stop they do. My mother in law showed up one day in a different car, they barked--after the one day, they didn't, and never did prior to that when it was the same car as usual.

THAT is how it should be.

And I'm not a professional dog trainer etc, yet I easily got them to be that way. They alert me to strangers but don't flap their gums at everything polluting the atmosphere with their noise over false alarms. Yet they're very playful and happy dogs when I take them walking.

If I can do it, anybody can.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Our 2, they are almost always silent. People whom they know, they're silent. People or cars they don't know, they do bark, until I show up--then they typically stop, or upon me telling them to stop they do. My mother in law showed up one day in a different car, they barked--after the one day, they didn't, and never did prior to that when it was the same car as usual. .
What if you weren't there? It's possible they'd then bark for an extended period of time because you're not telling them not to. Which may annoy neighbors. Which would lead to the same sort of issue......

And you're saying it's ok for every other type of animal to make noise because that's what they do, but not a dog? Or kid?

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 02-16-2015 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 AM

418 posts, read 727,814 times
I lived in my last house 10 years. The family across the street had 4 dogs. I never once in those 10 years heard those dogs bark. Right before I moved out I thought I heard them barking for a full hour once, and I was afraid the owners had died inside the house!

Turns out a different neighbor had found a lost dog and was keeping it in the back yard until they found the owner (which they did, and everyone was very happy).

Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly. That is why dog barking is different than roosters crowing, cows mooing, goats "baying" or whatever, horses naying, etc.

A little barking, okay. However if the barking is for "protection," as I've been told before when complaining, then why does it bark at EVERYTHING, including at me when I've lived here for 7-odd years? How come no one checks outside when it does so?
This reminds me of the time when the police stopped at my house after a robbery a few doors down. They wanted to know if I'd heard the neighbor's dog barking in the middle of the night. Ha! It barked non-stop, day and night, and the cop knew it because I'd called several times before. He almost took me into custody when I took a step toward him and growled as much. I wanted to slap his square little head until it spun around.

When dogs are sentenced to a lonely, outside existence and bark at everything, they are no longer your "Alarm". They become the saddest of lawn ornaments, neglected for all to see and HEAR.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
There must be some reason as to why she has ignored all contacts. Its possible she is suffering from dementia or something.
She ignored the contacts just like she ignored her dog. Why? Because she doesn't place any importance on either of them (the contacts or the dog). She is lazy, selfish, or some combination thereof, but there is zero evidence of dementia here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events