Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

The "poisoned meatball" was always the dream whenever anyone in my family had this problem. Nobody ever did it (as far as I know) but trust me when I say an innocent animal doesn't trump anyone's sanity.

I had a friend who's neighbors complained because she left her dog outside and alone for 10 hours a day while she worked. Her answers was always "dog's bark...it's what they do!" and when she came to me for pity I didn't give her any comfort but instead warned her that her dog might not live long. She kept in inside for awhile after that but had dog urine and crap to deal with so that wasn't working.

SHE wanted to own a dog, not her neighbors, so she should deal with the mess dontcha think? Bad dog owners cause their deaths even if someone else takes them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I had a neighbor (she rented) whose dog used to howl all day, from the time she went to work to the time she came home. The dog would stop when he heard her coming down the street. I talked to her, she was really nice about it. She didn't believe me though, because the lady on the other side of her (who had dogs and kids) claimed the dog didn't make a peep. I ended up videoing it for her. She worked in IT for a large company so she had really crazy hours sometimes. It drove me absolutely insane (and I love dogs).

She actually talked to her landlord who put up a fence between the yards (most of her property was fenced except for the small section that went along my property line). I was all set to do it myself when I saw him out there.

Unfortunately it didn't work and she eventually moved. I couldn't fault her as she really tried. She used to live out in the country with a lot of land and we figured this yard was just way too small for the dog to be truly happy in.

It's weird, about 15 years have passed and neighbors have come and gone. I have a small day care center next to me (in a house) and dogs on all sides of me. There are times there is a complete cacophony of noise from everywhere and it just doesn't bother me like it used to. Either I've mellowed with age, or being home more has made me less possessive about my "me" time.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
No sympathy for rude inconsiderate dog owners. More people should lose their houses over noisy dogs.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Define innocent animal? is a rat innocent? is it's death cruel? what makes you think poison is painful and cruel? there are many poisons that are painless and quite quick. What makes you think that living chained up in a back yard alone in the elements is so ethical? perhaps a quick painless death would be merciful.
Let me tell you about my animals, I have a Jack Russel that is blind and lives like a princess in my house, but she is not allowed to bark outside for more than a few minutes, I have 2 cats one is adopted from the shelter, the other was abandoned and started sleeping on my deck, she has since moved into the house and is living the life of Riley, climbing on my chest Waking me up at 3am cuz she wants her head scratched.
Did I mention my city chickens? that get to live on till natural death long after they have stopped laying eggs
Oh yea I also have a tree frog that was left to die by its former owners in an apartment. Did I want a tree frog? Hell No. but now I buy bugs ( Seriously I buy F#$King bugs and dead baby mice to feed this frog)
We have actually named it (Hendricks, after Jimmi).

personally I would rather put a chunk of lead in the cranium of any one that would leave a dog tied up in a back yard all day, unfortunately they frown on that.
second, you need to call the police several times a day.
If that don;t work them maybe the poor dog needs to be liberated or put out of it's misery.
I've never seen a happy chained up dog, they are social animals they are better off dead them chained up alone.

bill
Not long ago some creep left out poisoned meant in dog parks in the city where I used to live. Before the owners realized what was happening, their dogs ate the meat and began convulsing. Some of the dogs died in agony before the owners could get them to their vets.

Painless and quick? Maybe. But no one has the right to kill something of someone else's.

The difference between an "innocent" dog and a rat is that the dog is more than likely to be disease free and bonded with its owner. The rat can be carrying disease. It is not a safe animal to have around unless it is a cared for pet which rats can be.

Isn't there a sort of muzzle you can put on a dog to keep it from barking?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Isn't there a sort of muzzle you can put on a dog to keep it from barking?
Bark collars are pretty inexpensive. They deliver a shock when the dog barks, so the dog develops an aversion response to barking.

The concept is simular to an invisible fence and electronic collar set up, but the collar is tied to sound (barking) not a wire location under ground.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The "poisoned meatball" was always the dream whenever anyone in my family had this problem. Nobody ever did it (as far as I know) but trust me when I say an innocent animal doesn't trump anyone's sanity.

I had a friend who's neighbors complained because she left her dog outside and alone for 10 hours a day while she worked. Her answers was always "dog's bark...it's what they do!" and when she came to me for pity I didn't give her any comfort but instead warned her that her dog might not live long. She kept in inside for awhile after that but had dog urine and crap to deal with so that wasn't working.

SHE wanted to own a dog, not her neighbors, so she should deal with the mess dontcha think? Bad dog owners cause their deaths even if someone else takes them out.
The colored text, I especially relate to that. I'm not issuing a call to arms of "let's go and kill all the dogs," at all, but at the same time when you speak of how frustrating the noise is and how you swear you could kill the thing and people look at you with "that look," that's my response--killing it may be cruel, but at some point you just don't have the capacity to care about the animal's plight. Maybe you care about the legal consequences and that's what stops you, but it's not likely to be any sense of decency with respect to the dogs themselves. At that point, killing a dog is almost a form of self defense, in my view.

Good for you that you didn't take your friend's side and instead told her what she needed to hear.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Fantasy's/"dreams" however don't solve real world problems. I think the more appropriate solution if a homeowner feels it's their right to leave a barking dog outside barking endlessly is to find out what laws are on the books in your community and peruse the fines/citation route against. If there are no laws on the book in the community, a lawsuit, at least a letter from a lawyer, I would think might get the attention of most homeowner's and to get them to act like a responsible dog owner.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Bark collars are pretty inexpensive. They deliver a shock when the dog barks, so the dog develops an aversion response to barking.

The concept is simular to an invisible fence and electronic collar set up, but the collar is tied to sound (barking) not a wire location under ground.
They work. It works by sensing vibration from the dogs throat, starts out very mild, and if the dog continues barking it gets stronger.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They work. It works by sensing vibration from the dogs throat, starts out very mild, and if the dog continues barking it gets stronger.

sorta work

Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh no no no it doesn't solve the issue. In a previous post I made about my landlords dog, I can hear that dog even from inside of my cottage which is in back of his house. Meaning, the dog is inside his house, I'm inside my house & I can STILL hear the dog barking. This is with windows & storms closed. Still.
^^^Oh, we can hear them in units on the other side of the complex with our windows closed. At night
I have to put on a sound machine and run a noisy fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events