Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM

939 posts, read 795,234 times

Advertisements

This all could have been avoided if she had had her dog trained, given the dog away, or showed up for court. People that are irresponsible want to cry when their irresponsibility and inconsideration for others has consequences. They want to have things "their way", and then try to elicit sympathy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Dog owners are urban terrorists.
Everyone suffers. Whether its the constant barking of one or two of them, or the feces all over the sidewalks, parks and our/your property, they effect everyones quality of life. And yes, "responsible dog owner", even though you are carrying that little spoon and bag, everyone sees you not using it unless you know someone is looking.
At least some dog owners are responsible and pick up after their dogs. No cat owner in history digs up what their cat left in my flower beds. And don't even get me started on those paw prints and claw marks on my car hood. And due to the disposable nature (in some people's opinions) of cats, the feral cat population in my area is thriving. Or at least it was until those coyotes showed up........

Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
1 lb of Hamburger plus 1 package of rat poison, nuff said!

bill
What a disgusting hateful suggestion. Hopefully no one will follow your inhumane advice.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
At least some dog owners are responsible and pick up after their dogs. No cat owner in history digs up what their cat left in my flower beds. And don't even get me started on those paw prints and claw marks on my car hood. And due to the disposable nature (in some people's opinions) of cats, the feral cat population in my area is thriving. Or at least it was until those coyotes showed up........

I'm a cat owner, and it is my opinion that putting your cat outside is doing a disservice to your cat, as well as shortening their lifespan. We had a feral cat problem. Our first cat that we rescued as a kitten literally right at my front door. At the time that we moved in the development was relatively new, and we thought that someone just dropped off a box of kittens, as there apparently were more roaming around the neighborhood. So, with it being in the heat of summer, and still a lot of new construction I took him in. He is a big orange tabby. Now, over the years we had seen several feral cats and in particular 2 orange tabbys. In fact, I had to do a double take one time because I thought our cat had gotten out! One time when I went out to smoke a cigarette in the evening, I was a few beers in, and had smoked a little, and I came down the sidewalk (we live in a townhouse) and walked toward the driveway. I come around the corner, and see BOTH feral cats SITTING on my wife's car! One on the hood, and the other on the roof. Well, once they saw me they immediately took off! Scared the crap out of me at first! At any rate, we had come to find out that the reason for the feral cats is a guy up the road when his cat would have kittens, any that weren't given away, he would just let loose. Finally some of the residents in my neighborhood have gotten involved, in catching them, getting them fixed, and then releasing them, so they don't reproduce. In looking back, I think the guy up the street is where my cat came from!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Ugh, an apartment upstairs neighbor's incessantly barking dog created a living hell for me. Only repeated complaints to her and apartment management resolved issue, and then she started retaliating by stomping on the ground at all hours of the night.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Most states require signed affidavits from other unrelated neighbors for dog barking to become a legal issue. I sincerely doubt this was just one guy complaining.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ugh, an apartment upstairs neighbor's incessantly barking dog created a living hell for me. Only repeated complaints to her and apartment management resolved issue, and then she started retaliating by stomping on the ground at all hours of the night.
Big surprise. {Sarcasm off}

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Dude, it's a f***n' dog! Guess what? Dogs bark! My next door neighbor had a rather large dog, half shepherd, half dane and while he was well trained, and very friendly, he did his fair share of barking. It was mostly at other neighborhood dogs! So what? He died 2 days after Christmas, and quite frankly I miss hearing him bark! It was almost like he was our pet too! Killing someone elses pet over a minor annoyance such as barking is a bit extreme!
No, no, no.

"Dogs bark?" Not if the owner does what they have to do to make it stop--and, if the dog is stubborn about it, get another one. Someone with 50 acres of land can raise the noisy ones.

"So what" my azz. It's noise, and for people like me who may have misophonia (meaning that my nervous system is hard-wired differently and it causes me to be unavoidably more sensitive to specific sounds), and heck even for people who for sure DON'T have such, dog barking is a hideous noise that has NO PLACE in our society, especially beyond 1-2 minutes every now & then. "Protection?" There's this thing called a burglar alarm, and just as you'd switch off the burglar alarm if it was a false alarm, so should a dog owner "switch off" their dog if they're yapping over nothing, even if it means using a shock collar, or a muzzle, or just plain putting their foot up its azz. If it's a bad enough problem, have it trained by a professional--or, again, if it's just plain stubborn, get another one.

Maybe barking is fine for you, but it's not for many other people, and they shouldn't have to tolerate it. I often-times tell people this antidote as an analogy, the would-be scenario of someone living next to me who would have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), maybe from having fought in a war. I happen to like popping firecrackers--for whatever reason, not only does the noise not bother me, it actually is fun to me. I like it that where I live I can do it pretty much anytime I feel like. Now, granted, I may go for 2 months between times I do it, and typically I do it for 5 minutes or so and it's over, but still, in many an other place, I'd be in trouble just for that brief amount of time. (Incidentally, how come that's the response one would receive over 5 fiddly minutes of such, yet dogs can bark forever and the police do nothing?) Instead, if I wish to do so, I can. I appreciate that freedom.

However, what if someone lived next to me and they have PTSD and they came to me and said the noise bothered them? If I wanted to, I could tell them to take a hike. I could tell them how we're out in the country and how there's no law against it, how that's the sort of thing you're going to hear living in the country, and how I can do on my place whatever I please, and how if the noise bothers them then frankly tough luck. That, in fact, is exactly the very thing a typical dog owner tends to do. You can't reason with them to any degree whatsoever, and they flat-out don't care that the noise bothers you.

Instead, especially if this person didn't complain about anything else, in that they weren't someone constantly whining about everything, they simply asked for this one thing, I would work with them. I would have RESPECT for their PTSD condition and sympathy for their situation, and modify my behavior. After all, I would figure that there would be times they're not home (perhaps from hanging out with the guys at the lodge if they're a retired veteran) and at such times I could get my kicks then, taking advantage of their absence. I'd ask them about being okay on those occasions where I use the firecrackers for starting the trash-burning pile (I use gasoline, and throw a firecracker on the pile, the delay in the cracker going off and the fact that I'm throwing it gives me room to avoid a "flash" burn), as it only takes 1 or 2 of them going off and then I'm done.

That is would I would do because, well, I think it's part of being a decent human being and not a jackazz.

So--dog owners. Get your dog trained. Keep it inside when you're not home, period, if it's prone to constant barking at everything--if that messes up your house, TOUGH, you're the dog's owner, that's YOUR problem. Putting it outside when you're not home is tantamount to making it my problem when I'm not the dog's owner and I could give 2 turds about it.

When you ARE home, if it barks, CHECK and see at WHAT it's barking. If I'm not home, then okay (just as I said earlier about how if the PTSD neighbor isn't home then that's a good time to enjoy my firecrackers), but if I am home, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT if it's gone on for longer than a minute, and I do mean a minute as in 60 seconds. Get training and do what the trainer advises. Use an e-collar--and no, I DON'T CARE how "cruel" they supposedly are (hence the quotes), compared to how "cruel" it is to subject a human being to such distressing noise, the dog's feelings don't matter squat. Realize this too--your dog is an animal in a human-centered world. We humans matter, that dog (or cat) doesn't matter squat compared to us. It's THEIR job to assimilate to OUR preferences and peculiarities, not the other way around. The day I bow down to a dang-blanged dog and kiss its hind-end and tolerate its quirks while tolerating that awful noise on its behalf is the day mules fly on brooms.

And yes, spare me this nonsense "what about noisy children?" Don't be ridiculous. A child is a human being, a dog is an animal. It's as simple as that. Compared to a child, or a human being of any age, a dog doesn't matter for dip. "My dog IS my child"--that's your problem for having the thinking of a pervert. Yes, the notion that a dog is somehow as important as a child is just as wrong as a pervert having dirty fantasies over little children, I said it and I meant it. You don't DARE put a dang-blanged DOG on the level of a child, or a human being of ANY age, in importance level. EVER. If your dog turns you on that much, then fine, have your fun with them in your bedroom and spare the rest of us your perverted filth. The NORMAL people around you don't have this perverted way of thinking, we can have dogs as pets (yes, I have 2 dogs, imagine that) and yet not think of them as our CHILDREN and we also do this funny thing of training or even, dare I say it, DISCIPLINING our dogs if they act up.

Speaking of which, that is one area where I WILL compare dogs to children, in terms of their owners/parents. Such dog owners remind me of the parents of the "snowflakes" we hear about, the ones with the brats in the waiting rooms etc who don't correct their children and then get all mad when you complain. This is the very same thing, and I think it comes about due to such dog owners thinking their dogs are in fact children. Well, tough--if your dog is acting up, you fix the problem, PERIOD. Even my best friend, who volunteers for a dog rescue facility and is a huge dog lover, has spoken of how he has had rare occasion to strike his dog, perhaps with a rolled-up newspaper, if it was being really stubborn and bull-headed. One dog was being REALLY stubborn, to the point of hurting other dogs when it thought he (my friend) wasn't around to make him stop, and he even called animal control, reported it as a dangerous at-large dog, and asked them to put it to sleep, which they did. THAT is how you do it, my friends.

Stop being like the parents of "snowflake" children who refuse to correct their child's bratty behavior. Stop with the excuse making. Stop with trivializing how God-awful that noise is when it goes on for more than a minute or so. Otherwise, you just might lose your house--and you will DESERVE it if you do, frankly.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-13-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Big surprise. {Sarcasm off}

No, no, no.

"Dogs bark?" Not if the owner does what they have to do to make it stop--and, if the dog is stubborn about it, get another one. Someone with 50 acres of land can raise the noisy ones.

Oh yeah, because you say so? Yeah, OK.

"So what" my azz. It's noise, and for people like me who may have misophonia (meaning that my nervous system is hard-wired differently and it causes me to be unavoidably more sensitive to specific sounds), and heck even for people who for sure DON'T have such, dog barking is a hideous noise that has NO PLACE in our society, especially beyond 1-2 minutes every now & then. "Protection?" There's this thing called a burglar alarm, and just as you'd switch off the burglar alarm if it was a false alarm, so should a dog owner "switch off" their dog if they're yapping over nothing, even if it means using a shock collar, or a muzzle, or just plain putting their foot up its azz. If it's a bad enough problem, have it trained by a professional--or, again, if it's just plain stubborn, get another one.

It's a DOG!!! THEY BARK! THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB! Furthermore, a damn buglar alarm is 1,000 more annoying of a sound than a dog barking!

Maybe barking is fine for you, but it's not for many other people, and they shouldn't have to tolerate it. I often-times tell people this antidote as an analogy, the would-be scenario of someone living next to me who would have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), maybe from having fought in a war. I happen to like popping firecrackers--for whatever reason, not only does the noise not bother me, it actually is fun to me. I like it that where I live I can do it pretty much anytime I feel like. Now, granted, I may go for 2 months between times I do it, and typically I do it for 5 minutes or so and it's over, but still, in many an other place, I'd be in trouble just for that brief amount of time. (Incidentally, how come that's the response one would receive over 5 fiddly minutes of such, yet dogs can bark forever and the police do nothing?) Instead, if I wish to do so, I can. I appreciate that freedom.

We all deal with minor annoyances everyday. It's a part of life.

However, what if someone lived next to me and they have PTSD and they came to me and said the noise bothered them? If I wanted to, I could tell them to take a hike. I could tell them how we're out in the country and how there's no law against it, how that's the sort of thing you're going to hear living in the country, and how I can do on my place whatever I please, and how if the noise bothers them then frankly tough luck. That, in fact, is exactly the very thing a typical dog owner tends to do. You can't reason with them to any degree whatsoever, and they flat-out don't care that the noise bothers you.

I agree there has to be some give and take when you have neighbors. My suggestion, do what I do, get to know them, befriend them, hang out with them... Problems are more easily solved.

Instead, especially if this person didn't complain about anything else, in that they weren't someone constantly whining about everything, they simply asked for this one thing, I would work with them. I would have RESPECT for their PTSD condition and sympathy for their situation, and modify my behavior. After all, I would figure that there would be times they're not home (perhaps from hanging out with the guys at the lodge if they're a retired veteran) and at such times I could get my kicks then, taking advantage of their absence. I'd ask them about being okay on those occasions where I use the firecrackers for starting the trash-burning pile (I use gasoline, and throw a firecracker on the pile, the delay in the cracker going off and the fact that I'm throwing it gives me room to avoid a "flash" burn), as it only takes 1 or 2 of them going off and then I'm done.

That is would I would do because, well, I think it's part of being a decent human being and not a jackazz.

So--dog owners. Get your dog trained. Keep it inside when you're not home, period, if it's prone to constant barking at everything--if that messes up your house, TOUGH, you're the dog's owner, that's YOUR problem. Putting it outside when you're not home is tantamount to making it my problem when I'm not the dog's owner and I could give 2 turds about it.

When you ARE home, if it barks, CHECK and see at WHAT it's barking. If I'm not home, then okay (just as I said earlier about how if the PTSD neighbor isn't home then that's a good time to enjoy my firecrackers), but if I am home, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT if it's gone on for longer than a minute, and I do mean a minute as in 60 seconds. Get training and do what the trainer advises. Use an e-collar--and no, I DON'T CARE how "cruel" they supposedly are (hence the quotes), compared to how "cruel" it is to subject a human being to such distressing noise, the dog's feelings don't matter squat. Realize this too--your dog is an animal in a human-centered world. We humans matter, that dog (or cat) doesn't matter squat compared to us. It's THEIR job to assimilate to OUR preferences and peculiarities, not the other way around. The day I bow down to a dang-blanged dog and kiss its hind-end and tolerate its quirks while tolerating that awful noise on its behalf is the day mules fly on brooms.

My neighbors had that dog very well trained. In fact living in a condo, they were not allowed to chain the dog up outside. Trust me, they were very aware of what the dog was barking at, and would tell him to be quiet. Or if we were outside, and someone was walking their dog, and the dog, he'd say "Vito says hi!" Which usually drew a chuckle from everyone, including the dog walkers. In fact that was pretty much all he barked at, was other dogs. At any rate, I assume that you don't have pets, because to a lot of people they become part of the family. My neighbors children are all grown and out of the house, and when they had to put their dog down due to illness, they were devastated. Especially the guy, because he was retired, and spent a lot of time with him, walking him in the woods, ect... that was his buddy.

And yes, spare me this nonsense "what about noisy children?" Don't be ridiculous. A child is a human being, a dog is an animal. It's as simple as that. Compared to a child, or a human being of any age, a dog doesn't matter for dip. "My dog IS my child"--that's your problem for having the thinking of a pervert. Yes, the notion that a dog is somehow as important as a child is just as wrong as a pervert having dirty fantasies over little children, I said it and I meant it. You don't DARE put a dang-blanged DOG on the level of a child, or a human being of ANY age, in importance level. EVER. If your dog turns you on that much, then fine, have your fun with them in your bedroom and spare the rest of us your perverted filth. The NORMAL people around you don't have this perverted way of thinking, we can have dogs as pets (yes, I have 2 dogs, imagine that) and yet not think of them as our CHILDREN and we also do this funny thing of training or even, dare I say it, DISCIPLINING our dogs if they act up.

Wow? Calling someone a pervert, and equating love for their pet to sexual fantasies??? Just wow!

Speaking of which, that is one area where I WILL compare dogs to children, in terms of their owners/bosses. Such dog owners remind me of the parents of the "snowflakes" we hear about, the ones with the brats in the waiting rooms etc who don't correct their children and then get all mad when you complain. This is the very same thing, and I think it comes about due to such dog owners thinking their dogs are in fact children. Well, tough--if your dog is acting up, you fix the problem, PERIOD. Even my best friend, who volunteers for a dog rescue facility and is a huge dog lover, has spoken of how he has had rare occasion to strike his dog, perhaps with a rolled-up newspaper, if it was being really stubborn and bull-headed. One dog was being REALLY stubborn and he even called animal control, reported it as a dangerous at-large dog, and asked them to put it to sleep, which they did. THAT is how you do it, my friends.

I'll be the first to correct my son if he acts a fool in public! Don't you worry about that!

Stop being like the parents of "snowflake" children who refuse to correct their child's bratty behavior. Stop with the excuse making. Stop with trivializing how God-awful that noise is when it goes on for more than a minute or so. Otherwise, you just might lose your house--and you will DESERVE it if you do, frankly.
Again we deal with minor annoyances and noise everyday. Pick your battles. Life is too short and stressful enough to worry about trivial BS! And furthermore, if you are friendly with your neighbors as I am, then it's much easier to solve any issues. Without calling the cops, or without confrontation! Saying someone should lose their home and potentially their livelihood over their dog barking is absurd! In fact talk about authoritarian BS!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Again we deal with minor annoyances and noise everyday. Pick your battles. Life is too short and stressful enough to worry about trivial BS! And furthermore, if you are friendly with your neighbors as I am, then it's much easier to solve any issues. Without calling the cops, or without confrontation! Saying someone should lose their home and potentially their livelihood over their dog barking is absurd! In fact talk about authoritarian BS!
I personally have a neighbor that has 3 dogs one of which barks for hours non-stop all the way into the morning (1-2am in the morning!) Neighbor does nothing about it. I've complained numerous times to the complex and so have my other neighbors.

Dogs barking happen... dogs that bark a lot are annoying. I agree that everyone should have a certain amount of tolerance for barking dogs, but no one should have their quality of life diminished because of an irresponsible owner.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Quote:
Deal with minor annoyances--not on my property we don't. I have the right to peace and quiet on MY PROPERTY. In public space, I will give you that part about dealing with minor annoyances (read my rants about people griping about cell phones), but on MY PROPERTY, I shouldn't be asked to deal with noise I didn't ask for that is optional, and dog barking is optional. "Dogs bark?" That's funny, mine don't. I SEE to it that they don't.

Like I said, that noise is more than just a "minor annoyance." It's as intensely unpleasant and painful as having your head held underwater. As much as a burglar alarm bothers you, dogs barking more than a minute bothers me easily as much as that, probably more. People just don't understand that--and even when you do explain it, they don't care. You spoke of "reasoning"--well, that's the problem, most such people can't be reasoned with. Their dog is their God--and yes, loving your pet so much that you don't care how its habits affect other people, that is the same as being a pervert--and you can't reason with them even the slightest bit.

Like the person with PTSD who can't handle firecrackers pops even while such sounds entertain me, I probably have misophonia and it means I am HARD WIRED to not be able to tolerate certain sounds, barking being one of them. I can't "ignore" or "deal with" or "tune out" those sounds anymore than I could "tune out" or "ignore" or "deal with" someone holding my head underwater--and as a human, that matters more than a dog ever will. In public, I probably can't make any demands, I have to cope with ear-plugs, all of society shouldn't be asked to edit their life over my situation, but I'll be darned if I should have to live that way on my OWN PROPERTY. Your noise has no right trespassing into my space uninvited and unwanted. "Incidental" noises such as from your mower when cutting your grass (but not at 6 a.m.), okay, but a dog bark is totally unnecessary and can be prevented.

Take heed, or yes--it IS fair that you lose your house. Not only that, while I don't condone violence, I will also say "ignore these warnings at your own peril." This story, from about 18 months ago, is about a guy who tried the reasoning approach, and he was even backed up by city ordinances which, as they often are in these cases, ignored--his feelings were ignored as well, his requests for peace and quiet were ignored, and he ultimately lost it. As far as I'm concerned, the adult victims had it coming to them.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/28...dogs-cops-say/ (Phoenix family killings may have been spurred by barking dogs, cops say)

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-13-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events