Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:10 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
As an pro-animal person, I have nothing against dogs, even the ones who have bitten me. Dogs take on the personality of their owners. In the situations I've been in where dogs have been a problem, the owner of the loud, unruly dog is coincidentally the same guy with the loud motorcycle or something like that. The dog is just one of many ways to disrupt the quality of life of the neighborhood. It's no treat for the poor beast to be 'owned' by one of the lower rungs of humanity. I feel sorry for them and my animosity is directed at the human element.
Agreed. But that does not solve the problem of annoying, barking dogs. It simply explains the existence of selfish ay-holes, of which our country seems to have an endless supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
As always, this is not a dog issue, I think this is a not being considerate of one's neighbor(s) issue in my book. The dog is barking because it's not getting the attention it needs/desires/deserves. I think she is getting what she deserves for not following the court, law, and last but not least, being inconsiderate to her neighbors. In the end, I feel sorry for the dog and the neighbors who had to endure this nonsense.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I know of a nuisance dog that was taken to a Vet to have his vocal cords clipped. No when the dog has the urge to bark he just croaks. The owner had no idea what had happened for over a month. When he found out what had happened he was ripped about it, but he never did find out who had done it.

Be creative when faced with a seemingly unsolvable problem.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
No one cares about an occasional bark.
We are talking about dogs who literally bark all day long constantly.
Befriending them is irrelevant bc they are barking out of sheer boredom.
Most have been abandoned in the yard.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
1 lb of Hamburger plus 1 package of rat poison, nuff said!

bill
What a foul response! The dog doesn't deserve to die because it is barking! It doesn't know right from wrong or that it is being annoying. It is up to the pet owner to control their dog's behavior and have it properly trained. Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know of a nuisance dog that was taken to a Vet to have his vocal cords clipped. No when the dog has the urge to bark he just croaks. The owner had no idea what had happened for over a month. When he found out what had happened he was ripped about it, but he never did find out who had done it.

Be creative when faced with a seemingly unsolvable problem.
Sounds a bit cruel to me to do such a thing to a "nuisance" dog, especially when I'm guessing this "nuisance" dog was left outside/inside of the house most of the time, alone.

It's amazing to me why such people get a dog in the 1st place. Dogs are social animals and need people/other dogs. Otherwise, they act out in ways like barking. I wish some people would think beyond themselves and realize they are not ready to take on a dog.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
People who have dogs in the city should keep them in the house. If the dogs are in the house, the barking issue is gone. If you aren't willing to keep your urban/suburban family dog in the house with you, then you shouldn't have it in the first place. I understand it's different for rural dogs in that a lot of them are used for working, guarding, herding, etc. so it would be expected that many rural dogs would live outdoors, but very few city dogs are working dogs so they should live indoors.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
People who have dogs in the city should keep them in the house. If the dogs are in the house, the barking issue is gone.
Oh no no no it doesn't solve the issue. In a previous post I made about my landlords dog, I can hear that dog even from inside of my cottage which is in back of his house. Meaning, the dog is inside his house, I'm inside my house & I can STILL hear the dog barking. This is with windows & storms closed. Still.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh no no no it doesn't solve the issue. In a previous post I made about my landlords dog, I can hear that dog even from inside of my cottage which is in back of his house. Meaning, the dog is inside his house, I'm inside my house & I can STILL hear the dog barking. This is with windows & storms closed. Still.
I was about to say the same... the video I posted was the dog downstairs INSIDE his home.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
What a foul response! The dog doesn't deserve to die because it is barking! It doesn't know right from wrong or that it is being annoying. It is up to the pet owner to control their dog's behavior and have it properly trained. Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.
It is indeed amazing to see the misdirected blame and the "solution" to problem.

I think most pet owners respond to either a talk or a call to an authority. Here around the Phoenix metro, most/all cities have dog barking ordinances. If it keeps up/they are ignored, the fines can get steep. I'm guessing that stops most issues given $ is involved for those who don't care much about others peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events